Friday, May 23, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Poetry album' A world of Peace must come' -set for release [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 06:48 AM CDT

When did Kalinich say that?
Maybe he needs to release a certain number of records for Capitol and this would be easier for him to create, as it's probably almost finished. What next? Vail's country-album (which I honestly would love to hear as it features some of the best musicians)

Re: Poetry album' A world of Peace must come' -set for release [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 06:34 AM CDT

I've heard that Brian & Steve were in the studio together recently, not necessarily recording but maybe just listening to something.  Would stand to reason it was this.

Re: a SMiLE question or 3 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 06:19 AM CDT

1) was the original track of "I'm In Great Shape" (sax, bass & piano) connected to  "I Wanna Be Around"?

Priore, in his infamous (well, here anyway) post BWPS book puts up a good case for I Wanna Be Around following Fire. Apparently Carol Kaye remembers it being this way when she played at the sessions, plus the times of the pieces add up (to something - can't remember what, but it's convincing) but more importantly put I Wanna Be Around after Fire and it just sounds perfect - better than any other marriage of Smile tracks imo. The pieces definitely suit each other better than Fire and the Water chant to my ears - the way the last few bass drums (the sound of faling timbers?) drift into the mellow lounge music of IWBA is very groovy, less obvious than 'water putting out the fire' and totally the sort of thing BW would have done at the time. IMO!!

Re: a SMiLE question or 3 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 05:58 AM CDT

How come everyone's so convinced that Brian had nothing to do with the sequencing of BWPS? Weren't he and Darian fairly emphatic that Brian was significantly involved in the sequencing? I find it hard to believe that Brian had absolutely NO input in the sequencing of BWPS, after all, he could remember the melody for Worms - I doubt this was a tune which he whistled on a regular basis in the preceding 38 years. It amazes me how little credit Brian now gets for BWPS, yet read any interview with Darian at the time and he seems fairly excited by the process of recreating Smile with BW and VDP, and Brian's engagement in the project.

Surf's Up as a closer makes a lot of sense to me. Plus doesn't Vosse put it there in that 1968 interview he does? Interestingly in the same interview (if I remember correctly) Vosse places SU at the end, followed by Our Prayer, which means that Our Prayer at one point was potentially the closer to the album, which in honesty makes more sense for me, than it being an intro followed by H&V as it appears in BWPS.

Siegel also describes BW playing the acetates at a party, and that Our Prayer was the last acetate he played. The way Siegel describes the music gives the impression that Our Prayer was a perfect closer to the Smile music.

I know Brian can be clearly heard during the OP session saying it's the intro to the album, but I think it's highly likely that he changed his mind. I prefer it at the end myself. As Sherrif John Stone points out, pretty much any Smile track can go anywhere and no one can argue with you!

Re: Poetry album' A world of Peace must come' -set for release [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 05:52 AM CDT

I think it was done during the Sunflower era. The little snippit I heard is a little over the top, but some of it sounds interesting.

Re: Poetry album' A world of Peace must come' -set for release [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 05:40 AM CDT

Is this the album that Brian did the music for? When in the 70s was it? Anyone heard it - I've heard it's not that good?

Poetry album' A world of Peace must come' -set for release [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 04:46 AM CDT

According to one S.Kalinich 'in the next year/2 years'

Re: a SMiLE question or 3 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 02:08 AM CDT

I don't even think Brian considered Pet Sounds a concept either, despite what Melinda tells him to, I mean, despite what Brian says now. Pet Sounds and Smile were pop albums in 1966-67. Nothing more, nothing less.

Re: a SMiLE question or 3 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 01:58 AM CDT

I think SMiLE! was as much a concept as Pet Sounds, whatever that means.

Or Sgt. Pepper's for that matter.

Re: a SMiLE question or 3 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 01:16 AM CDT

I love trying to figure out SMiLE, because you can do whatever you want, and no matter what configuration you use, it always comes out sounding good. police

Agreed.

It makes sense, but only to us. I doubt that Brian would have done Smile as a concept LP.

I think SMiLE! was as much a concept as Pet Sounds, whatever that means.

BWPS, sorry...that ain't Brian who assembled that (sorry, Darian, Melinda, and Leaf).

...the only difference that seperates BWPS from any other fan mix is that BWPS had the final go ahead from Brian Wilson...that may not be the same Brian Wilson of 1967, but it's still Brian Wilson. Or is it Brian Ledbetter, I get confused....


Re: a SMiLE question or 3 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 12:40 AM CDT

It makes sense, but only to us. I doubt that Brian would have done Smile as a concept LP. BWPS, sorry...that ain't Brian who assembled that (sorry, Darian, Melinda, and Leaf).

BRIAN WILSON HAND SIGNED 8X10 PHOTO BEACH BOYS LEGEND ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 23 May 2008 12:34 AM CDT

US $9.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Sunday May-25-2008 22:34:38 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: a SMiLE question or 3 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 12:28 AM CDT

Wow, an offhand remark of mine got a response like that....seriously though, it makes sense having H&V at the end, but this WAS 1966-67. I don't think Brian had any intention of a "concept album". Even BWPS, that sounds like a concept album.

Yeah, I don't think "Heroes And Villains" has ever been mentioned as a closer, except on assorted fan mixes. But the lyrics, "I've BEEN in this town so long" and "taken for lost and GONE" and "fell in love YEARS AGO" and "but she's STILL dancing" and "my children WERE raised" and "they started slow LONG AGO" and on and on...

But, I guess it could also be a guy who is telling his story by LOOKING BACK FIRST. I love trying to figure out SMiLE, because you can do whatever you want, and no matter what configuration you use, it always comes out sounding good. police

Re: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 12:17 AM CDT

Thank you Alan!


Quote from: Dancing Bear
I remember Brian - as he said in a interview - thinking of recording something with just piano and voice for the B side of the next Beach Boys single, early 1967. People related this to the My Little Red Book run through that has leaked.

Yes, Brian told reporter Tracy Thomas "I may end up just recording me and a piano – I tried it last night in the studio" regarding the B-side of H&V, printed February 18, 1967. That quote probably led to the widely published session date February 14, 1967 @ Goldstar.
Other sources say it was a Valentine's Day gift for Marilyn and Carole Kaye played bass (?!?)

Anyway, no more LRB on personal SMiLE mixes...

Re: a SMiLE question or 3 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 12:10 AM CDT

Wow, an offhand remark of mine got a response like that....seriously though, it makes sense having H&V at the end, but this WAS 1966-67. I don't think Brian had any intention of a "concept album". Even BWPS, that sounds like a concept album.

BRIAN DOES NOT MAKE PROGRESSIVE ROCK! (this yelling is performed with love and mercy)

Sheesh, if Brian heard Rick Wankerman (koff) he'd probably have an episode, assume the fetal position in the shower, and wait for the poisonous gas to come out of the shower head (old BW story from the 70s, in some of the books). That Moog wankery would throw the poor man for a loop!

selling Beach Boys rarities... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 12:10 AM CDT

Joe, Billy...if this is the wrong place to post this, feel free to move it where you think it belongs...I wasn't sure.

My roommate is remodeling the house and I'm having to get rid of a lot of my stuff, including a ton of CDs.  I just listed a number of Beach Boys-related rarities on e-Bay and I wanted to word up my friends here.  They include:
Dumb Angel Gazette Vol. 1 -- the super rare first issue (before the SMiLE book)
Jan & Dean Teen Suite 1958-1962
Beach Boys Rarities -- Japanese CD reissue of the withdrawn 1983 album
California U.S.A. -- awesome early '90s Sony comp of Beach Boys related stuff including "Boat to Sail," the 1974 Jackie DiShannon B-side with Brian and Marilyn
The Surfing Song Book by Rincon Surfside Band

I'm also about to give away/sell cheap a large number of power pop CDs, a lot by unknown artists, that I've been given or bought over the years that I toured.  If anyone's interested, drop me a line at adamghost@aol.com and I'll let you know when I list them all.

Re: a SMiLE question or 3 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 12:04 AM CDT

Yes. Brian always contradicts himself. For all we know, he probably wanted H&V to close the LP.

You're welcome.

I like "Heroes And Villains" as a closer, especially with "false Barnyard" tacked on to the end. The lyrics to "H & V" are in past tense, and it makes a nice review for the album, fading off into the sunset.

And, "You're Welcome" is the perfect opening track. "You're welcome to come...to Plymouth Rock...on the voyage...on the trip...the SMiLE trip".... 

Re: Sessions with Dennis after 1980 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 May 2008 12:03 AM CDT

There's also a recording going around of Dennis in 1981 with some friends jamming.

Are you referring to the Hamburger/Cocaine sessions with Brian, or to something else?

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer.

Oh Lord on that tape is a Dennis/Brian song, but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the tape just features Brian and Garby Leon on the keyboards. Dennis is not present vocally.

The recording I'm referring to is about seven minutes long, the sound is distant, it's hard to make out much of anything. It's all instrumental. Nothing much of substance on it.

Re: Help Me with Smile! (not asking for downloads) [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 22 May 2008 11:49 PM CDT

Here's My Current SMiLE Mix

Side 1

6. With Me Tonight (Slow Version into Fast Version)
7. Child Is the Father Of The Man (Piano Intro into lengthy version based on Brian's Backing track)

Yes! I've been doing the same. Just tack "Child Is Father Of The Man" right onto the trailing bass of "With Me Tonight" (from Hawthorne). It works perfectly. And with Brian speaking in the background of the track (when he says "Sing that with a SMiLE"), it adds a little personality to the mix...

Re: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 22 May 2008 11:40 PM CDT

1971 for the Sandman tape?

Re: Sessions with Dennis after 1980 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 22 May 2008 11:38 PM CDT

I don't know what Dennis did. I always just assumed he helped record it, or write some of the songs.

Re: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 22 May 2008 11:14 PM CDT

Y'know, now that Alan mentions it, the piano sounds like Brian's Chickering. I would venture to say that the overdubbed bass is also Brian, or maybe Carl or Al.

Re: a SMiLE question or 3 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 22 May 2008 11:07 PM CDT

In order -

No.

No, but it was once thought to be Barnyard, until the actual Barnyard came out. It's since referred to as "false Barnyard".

Yes. Brian always contradicts himself. For all we know, he probably wanted H&V to close the LP.

You're welcome.

a SMiLE question or 3 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 22 May 2008 10:58 PM CDT

1) was the original track of "I'm In Great Shape" (sax, bass & piano) connected to  "I Wanna Be Around"?

2) is there a name for the section that closes the cantina version of H&V found on the GV boxset? this same section closes the "H&V sections" track on the same disc. it features pizzicatto strings, harmonica and Brian's vocals.

3) at one point, didn't Brian say that "Surf's Up" would close the album?



thanks.
now let me think of a few more

ROB WASSERMAN: Trios (CD 1994) Promo BRIAN WILSON ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 22 May 2008 07:17 PM CDT

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Tuesday May-27-2008 17:17:05 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON SIGNED B BOYS BACKSTAGE PASS GAI COA! ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 22 May 2008 03:38 PM CDT

US $25.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Tuesday May-27-2008 13:38:49 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

1 CENT CD: Taylor Mills 'Lullagoodbye' Brian Wilson ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 21 May 2008 08:22 PM CDT

US $0.34 (2 Bids)
End Date: Monday May-26-2008 18:22:51 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: