Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: You're Still a Mystery [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 06:54 AM CDT

Im in LOVE with this song, and there was a thread not to long ago where a few people talked a lot about it (the session and the like)...they talked about this and 'soul searchin' so just do a search and Im sure you'll find it!


Thanks, I found the thread. Fascinating read.
Wish this song was released... by the BBs, a cover band, whatever. But that's true of a lot of BB/BW songs, of course.

Beach Boy Divorce Settlements [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 06:23 AM CDT

Does anyone know what the guys have had to give away in divorce settlements (finance, custody of kids, houses etc) to ex wives in the past? Mike must have  lost more than the rest but surely Marilyn can't have done too bad from divorcing Brian? Just curious...

Re: Your Early Influences [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 05:31 AM CDT

The song that first made me aware of the power of music, and how great it can be was Eddie Cochran's "C'mon Everybody". I must've been six years old when I put on a compilation of (mainly) old R&R hits my parents had in their collection, and Eddie's tune was the opening track. The intro blew me away, I must've played it ten times in a row, and I still love it. The other artists on that record weren't bad either: Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vincent, etc. etc.

I can safely say that that song (and the album as a whole) put me on the right track. Thanks Eddie!!  Grin

Re: Guitar Hero [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 03:50 AM CDT


There is a free Guitar Hero clone for PC called "Frets on Fire":

http://fretsonfire.wikidot.com/latest-fof

The game is played by a normal keyboard (fake guitar not needed) but the best part is that it's very easy to create playable songs to add to the game.
There's a huge community creating playable-songs and sharing them.

There are no Beach Boys songs that I found... the only seems to be the one I made myself as a test, "Pet Sounds":

http://www.fretsonfire.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=5;t=19200;hl=beach+boys


Have a look. If there's interest I could create more BB songs.


STE


Re: That AGD gets everywhere ... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 03:26 AM CDT

In reference to his book on The Doors with John Tobler (I think ...). Not a significant mention I know, and Chuck probably isn't even aware of AGD's role in BB-fandom/collectors circle ... but I just found it amazing that his name suddenly appeared in the text out of nowhere !  Cool

Re: Guitar Hero [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 02:29 AM CDT

Re: Guitar Hero [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 12:42 AM CDT

You could do a version with the hits up to 1965, I think.  There are lots of good surf solos and such.

Re: Guitar Hero [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 12:33 AM CDT

I'd love it personally...I've played the game once, but I wouldn't ever buy it because I can't stand most of the songs.  But I would be all over a Beach Boys version in a heartbeat.

All of this is assuming, of course, that there is a market for it beyond us BB fanatics.  Unfortunately I somehow doubt there is Sad

Re: Guitar Hero [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 12:25 AM CDT

This would be great, but how many guitar driven beach boys songs are there? Especially with solos and the like...

the list starts here!

Re: Guitar Hero [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 12:00 AM CDT

It would kick a$$

Guitar Hero [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 11:55 PM CDT

Does anyone else agree that it'd be cool to have a Beach Boys edition of Guitar Hero? I've heard rumours of Aerosmith and Beatles versions and while I know that a Beach Boys version would never happen, I think it would be pretty cool. I mean thats 70 or so songs to play with. Just my random thought for the day...

Re: That AGD gets everywhere ... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 11:33 PM CDT

In what context was Mr. Doe mentioned?

Re: What is everyone listening to? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 11:31 PM CDT

Led Zeppelin 3 & 4

Led Zeppelin 3 is a fodaing great album.

Yeah, I don't know why its not more popular. I don't think there's a weak song on it. 'Since I've Been Loving You' is such a great song and production.

Re: Bob Dylan Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 11:23 PM CDT

I really like the song the 'The Man In Me' ,which I heard in The Big Lebowski, but I noticed none of you put New Morning on your top ten list, so is it a good album? I also really like 'Lay Lady Lay', but Dylan fans have always had me under the impression its not a good album. I noticed only one of you put it in their top ten. Also, I had no idea is last two albums are considered some his best work ever. I just thought everyone was fawning over him because music sucks so hard today.

Re: You're Still a Mystery [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 10:39 PM CDT

Im in LOVE with this song, and there was a thread not to long ago where a few people talked a lot about it (the session and the like)...they talked about this and 'soul searchin' so just do a search and Im sure you'll find it!


Amen to that brother.....this is what could've been if the BB's were mature enough to put out a product as a cohesive unit.

Dennis Goes To Jail [Smiley Smile Dot Net]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 09:33 PM CDT

He fought the law in Arizona, and the law won.

The charges were quickly dropped, but not before Dennis Wilson spent time at the Pima County jail early in the morning of April 24, 1978. The Beach Boys' drummer was arrested after their performance at McKale Center the night before. The mother of a 16-year-old Sabino High School junior alerted police that her daughter had been with Wilson in his hotel room. Empty beer bottles were found in his room during the police search. Wilson was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. The case was dropped when the family refused to press charges.

For a review of the concert:

http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/morguetales/8949/beach-boys-get-a-mixed-review

2006 Brian Wilson SP Authentic RC " AUTO " # / 899 ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 08:33 PM CDT

US $0.99 (1 Bid)
End Date: Tuesday Apr-29-2008 18:33:41 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: Uncle Carl [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 08:16 PM CDT

I was actually referring to Hayleigh's singing voice. I heard her sing at one of the Santa Monica CWF beach parties (Chirstian was there too). She also has a couple of tracks on the limited edition *Not for Sale* compilation, as does her brother.






Re: L.A. (Light Album) [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 07:56 PM CDT

Well, lets see.

Good Timin' - I find it a little bit melancholy because its so obviously a half-assed attempt to relive former glories. Make no mistake, it does so admirably. The harmonies are beautiful. Perhaps I'll rephrase that first sentence - its an obvious nod to an era that The Beach Boys built their reputation on, but also one that they know fully well has passed and ain't coming back. Nevertheless a great song, and a good opener.

Lady Lynda - I'm bemused as to why this was a hit. The word 'fluff' springs fleetingly to mind. But pleasant, listenable fluff I suppose. Maybe I've answered my own question.

Full Sail - Very pretty. Forgettable on first listen though - requires some careful listening until it's subtleties are revealed, but more than worthwhile. Beautiful, really.

Angel Come Home - I wish this had been the hit from L.A., because it's really phenomenal imo. Great to hear Dennis and Carl collaborating on this one. It's a mainstream kinda vibe, but Denny's gracefully fodaed-up vocals give it the edge it needs. The chorus is fantastic. Just a really great song.

Love Surrounds Me - An unusual vibe for a Beach Boys song and an area they didn't particularly explore often as a group. Denny sounds great. Ambitious, as others have said, but very rewarding. Kind of a sleeper hit.

Sumahama - 'Listenable' is about the most generous thing I can say about this. Bollocks, would be a more honest opinion.

Here Comes The Night - I almost shat my pants when I first heard the vocoder near the start, or whatever the hell it is. Some great vocal parts, but a stinky steaming heaping helpin' o' crap compared to the almost garagey vibe of the Wild Honey version. Perhaps it wouldn't have been forgivable, The Beach Boys trying to latch on to the disco trend, if they weren't doing it at least two and a half years after it was fashionable.

Baby Blue - Back on track. So subtle, and so gorgeous. A really touching song and really sweet. Shame about the totally unneccessary synth.

Goin' South - Lovely lead from Carl. A slight song, but dreamy. I don't care for the mix - what the foda is with the high hat? I feel like it's eating away at my brain with every strike. Talk about shattering a mood. The harmonies and sax need to be higher up. Really good stuff, all the same.

Shortenin' Bread - A nice moment of deranged Bri genius to end the album. Sounds like the opener for Wild Honey Part 2. It really does kick some ass.

So, Light Album.

A good album. Not great, but good overall, enjoyable and some moments of real classic Beach Boys. Its a crying shame that this was the last original work they did that was worth hearing, but those the brokes.






Re: Uncle Carl [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 06:41 PM CDT

I see my mother's cousins and their kids a few times a year, and about a decade ago it was alot more than that. Why wouldn't they be considered family?

Re: Uncle Carl [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 05:55 PM CDT

Probably just coincidence that Al can sound exactly like Brian sometimes and he is not even related to the Wilsons?

Of course he probably tried to copy Carl's way of singing, but it doesn't seem very likely that Christian sounds like Carl because he is related to him. Cause most people wouldn't even really consider their father's cousins to be family.

What?  Then what exactly are they?  Carl is Christian's second cousin.  His father and Christian's grandmother are brother and sister.  Sure sounds like family to me.  Pretty tight genetic pool.  Some of the closet family I have are my dad's first cousins, because they're my cousins too, along with their kids, and there is a lot of similarity among us.  Maybe the similarity in their voices is part coincidence, but not all of it.

Re: Where are you from? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 05:53 PM CDT

Born and raised in central New Jersey. Now I live in Jersey City, New Jersey. Have also lived near Philadelphia and in Portland, Maine.

Re: Uncle Carl [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 04:00 PM CDT

Probably just coincidence that Al can sound exactly like Brian sometimes and he is not even related to the Wilsons?

Of course he probably tried to copy Carl's way of singing, but it doesn't seem very likely that Christian sounds like Carl because he is related to him. Cause most people wouldn't even really consider their father's cousins to be family.

BEACH BOYS ~ LANDLOCKED ~ 1970 ALBUM & MORE ["beach boys"]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 01:45 PM CDT

US $14.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Sunday Apr-27-2008 11:45:08 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

BEACH BOYS ~ UNSURPASSED MASTERS VOL 20 ~ 2 CD SET ["beach boys"]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 01:39 PM CDT

US $24.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Sunday Apr-27-2008 11:39:27 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

BEACH BOYS ~ UNSURPASSED MASTERS VOL 19 ~ 2 CD SET 1967 ["beach boys"]

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 01:36 PM CDT

US $24.99 (1 Bid)
End Date: Sunday Apr-27-2008 11:36:26 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: