Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Summer In Paradise - airbrushed from history? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 30 Apr 2008 06:45 AM CDT

Last time I looked, they didn't even mention Carl's death. Maybe it's just inaccuracy (if that is spelled like this)

Summer In Paradise - airbrushed from history? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 30 Apr 2008 06:38 AM CDT

Well, we all know Summer In Paradise was left to go out of print, and none of its tracks are ever included on even the most extensive compilations and best-ofs...But I was surprised to find no mention of it on the band's official website timeline! (The timeline just skips from the release of 'Still Cruisin'' in 1989 to the Good Vibrations boxset in 1993.)

So my question to you more knowledgeable fans is whether Mike has commented on the album in recent years? Does he view it as the embarrassment it categorically was, or does he still defend it? I'd also be interested in reading anything Brian may have said about it.

From what I can see, everyone seems to be pretending it never happened.

Re: POB: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 30 Apr 2008 06:22 AM CDT

Wow.  I finally caved, and listened to some of these samples.  Wow.  I've never heard Tug of Love before, it sounds incredible.  Very...I don't know...Brianish.  And these streaming samples sound better than the disc of POB that was given to me.  I can't wait to hear the whole two CD set, on my home system, through my big, old-fashioned speakers.  Bring it on.   

Re: Beach Boys 2nd on Live-Bootleg-list [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 30 Apr 2008 06:10 AM CDT

What are the rest of the top ten?

Don't remember. I didn't buy the mag...


Quote
Insert Quote
I agree with you rocker...When bruce came in the bass parts got weak ...I guess its not his natural instrument.. Hal Blaine
has said that Bruce is one of the best Piano players he knows..

From what I can say, he really is a great piano player.
I think that it's not only Bruce, the others started to slow down too after Brian quit. Even Dennis. Compare "I get around" from Sacra,ento with the same song from '66.

Would love to know how they sounded with Glenn Campbell.

Re: New Al Jardine Song Samples [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 30 Apr 2008 06:08 AM CDT

I can't wait for it either.

V/A : FMQB promo BRIAN WILSON,NORAH JONES etc. SEALED ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 08:46 PM CDT

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Sunday May-04-2008 18:46:15 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: POB: [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 07:58 PM CDT

When Brian was doing a Q&A for beautiful dreamer he said he never heard it.

so not much point taking brian's opinion on it as he will say something different every time

Yeah but then again, Brian also said years ago that Dennis wasn't singing on "Just Once In My Life" cause he was dead. And then he didn't even remember the Love You album. As you say he will say something different every time. But just cause he says "I've never heard it" doesn't mean that that's true

Re: Classic Albums: The Doors [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 07:28 PM CDT

Similarly, I love the "Under Review" DVDs. I recently got the Queen pair and the first Leonard Cohen one, and enjoyed them. I've also got Beefheart, Nick Drake, Smiths, and VU from that series.

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 06:59 PM CDT

And the wrong hair color.

Scientific Lifestyle in LA [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 06:44 PM CDT

heard about this band in Stuff mag. listened to their tunes on myspace.com/scili
love it and gonna be at their show at the Derby in LA 5/2
more info on their myspace

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 06:29 PM CDT

why does vdp have a gotee?

BRIAN WILSON SIGNED B BOYS BACKSTAGE PASS GAI COA! ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 04:48 PM CDT

US $39.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Wednesday Apr-30-2008 10:10:04 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON autographed HAND SIGNED the beach boys ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 04:26 PM CDT

US $2.00 (0 Bid)
End Date: Sunday May-04-2008 14:26:15 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON signed San Francisco Giants ROOKIE card ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 04:11 PM CDT

US $2.50 (0 Bid)
End Date: Sunday May-04-2008 14:11:54 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $3.50
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: Beach Boys 2nd on Live-Bootleg-list [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 04:02 PM CDT

I agree with you rocker...When bruce came in the bass parts got weak ...I guess its not his natural instrument.. Hal Blaine
has said that Bruce is one of the best Piano players he knows..

Re: Beach Boys 2nd on Live-Bootleg-list [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 03:59 PM CDT

What are the rest of the top ten?

Re: Bob Dylan Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 02:56 PM CDT

"Sara" is one of my favorites of this period...

Re: Classic Albums: The Doors [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 02:00 PM CDT

I'm a huge fan of this series. I just received my DVDs of the new Doors and Lennon Plastic Ono Band episodes yesterday from Amazon.

I watched the Lennon one last night, and as usual it's very well done. Most surprising to me were the recollections (most strongly from Ringo) that Phil Spector was hardly there for the POB album sessions, and that Lennon himself did virtually all the producing.

I look forward to checking out the Doors DVD tonight or later this week.

Re: Paul is Dead [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 01:56 PM CDT

I happen to stumble upon a message board tonight devoted entirely to the Paul is dead subject. I can assure you that there are some people who are VERY convinced that it is real.

I wonder if you're talking about the "60if" board (Google it if interested). That's some of the most messed-up stuff I've seen on the Internet ... or anywhere actually.

Re: POB: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 12:50 PM CDT

Bruce said recently he didn't like it.

Bruce is on crack.  But then again, he is a "Rock and Roll Survivor"...so what do I know?   Razz

He may or may not be on crack, but he's certainly allowed not to like the album.

Right on. I believe anyone's entitled to have an opinion about POB, but if we really had to sort it out, Bruce worked with Dennis for about 11 years. The rest of us didn't.

Oh for sure.  I was just kidding.  I was in a silly mood that night.

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 12:33 PM CDT

The thing that still bugs me about this film is that they managed to get so much of the detail right (first time I saw the "I know Brian's dad" badges I fell out of my chair laughing) yet managed to screw up the storyline so badly. Then again, knowing the backstory of it all, not surprising.

Brian Wilson Presents Smile CD NM Beach Boys NEAR MINT ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 12:32 PM CDT

US $4.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Sunday May-04-2008 10:32:56 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 12:22 PM CDT

Summer Dreams had a better Brian, Carl and Bruce, too. I think both Murrys did a good job. I also like that all the Brian singing in Summer Dreams was the actor playing Brian. It's more realistic that way.

No comments: