Monday, April 28, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: POB: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 04:46 AM CDT

When Brian was doing a Q&A for beautiful dreamer he said he never heard it.

so not much point taking brian's opinion on it as he will say something different every time



Tug of Love was recorded in '76, the bass vocal is Dennis and Gregg Jakobson...Mike Love is not on any of these recordings. Through the years Brian has said many times he thought POB was great..."I loved it" is a very recent quote. Carl loved it too. Bruce said recently he didn't like it.

Beach Boys The Lost Concert on DvD ** BRAND NEW ** ["beach boys"]

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 04:18 AM CDT

US $8.15
End Date: Monday Apr-28-2008 15:37:07 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $8.15
Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: Uncle Carl [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 02:00 AM CDT

Your Mom really has enough aunts and uncles to have had 60 children between them ?  My mom was one of seven sisters and two brothers, but my cousin count on her side was no more than 20, 25 tops.

I come from a catholic area, until the 1950s/1960s, every family here had between 5 and 10 children, some even more (one of my uncles has 14 brothers and sisters). People just had as many children as they could. My grandfather once went to church to ask permission to stop having children because it was hard enough to raise the six children he and my grandmother already had, but his request was denied. So they had two more children. They were simply told it was their duty to keep having children as long as they physically could.

Re: Song or album that turned you onto The Beach Boys [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 01:52 AM CDT

California Dreaming (you had to ask...)

The Beach Boys existed for me initially as the purveyors, as David Leaf says, of "the California Myth". Growing up in the suburbs of NYC, the mythical vision of the eternal sunshine of the SoCal mind worked its way from the TV set, record player, and the movies into my noreaster bones. I grew up loving those Sam Arkoff AIP Beach Party films. The first 45 that I ever bought was DAWN by the 4 Seasons, but it was the flip side, NO SURFIN' TODAY, that really haunted me –  kind of an inside flip of the bird at the Boys, but an oddly haunting, ghostly song ("Angry sea, took my love from me...). There they were, the California Girls, all over the movie screens. Sandra Dee as GIDGET (but especially in the wonderfully icky TAMMY AND THE DOCTOR, w/ future hipster Peter Fonda), innocent and guileless Carol Lynley in UNDER THE YUM YUM TREE, smart cookie (Mother) Dolores Hart in WHERE THE BOYS ARE…The Golden Girls girls, the blonde hair/blue eyed shiksa goddesses who etched themselves onto my impressionable young brain as the vision of the Eternal Surfer Girl that I have probably been daydreaming about most of my life since (and have occasionally fallen in love with). RIDE THE WILD SURF was also a primal scene for my city boy liquid dreams - still a great surf-buddy film fantasy (and later, the end of the dream and the nostalgia for time lost with its darker mirror, Milius' BIG WEDNESDAY), pacific pipe-dreams for this skinny surfless jewish kid from Queens. The west coast was indeed the Promised Land for east coast dreamers who watched tv shows and went to Saturday matinees in the early 60's.

My formative years of pop music were shaped primarily by my big sister's record collection found in her tan 45 case – now we're talking about that bland "pop idol" period between Elvis' Army and February 9/64 that every critic hates, but I happen to LOVE, mostly  from early imprinting and the particular production sounds – Bobby Vee, James Darren, Bobby Rydell, the Girl Groups, Paul Peterson and Shelly Fabares ...the sound of the production of JOHNNY ANGEL, to be precise, that ultra-white, creamy dreamy fetishized and Spectorized, petticoated, reverbed, high heeled and stockinged sound – David Lynch knows it only too well, evident from his smart use of Connie Stevens' 16 REASONS in MULHOLLAND DRIVE. The sound of the studio-made star doing essentially what were publicity singles from COLPIX records (love those drenched-with-reverb-to-hide-the-weak-voices productions) and the Philly teen Idol driven CAMEO/PARKWAY record company. Unlike Brian, I never cared much for Annette, however…(but do love Spring).

So I was well aware of the Beach Boys in the early sixties, of course, but mostly through all of their attending cultural influence - didn't buy the singles. The Beatles ruled everything on our side of the street. Starting in 1966, however, I was really taken by the Wouldn't It be Nice/God Only Knows single (I distinctly remember hearing it on a radio during hayride with a lovely girl at a dude ranch, back when 'dude' had a different meaning), but I only had a vague notion of PET SOUNDS and certainly had no idea what it was, just knew that it was as a rather uninviting cover and I still couldn't afford to really buy lps anyway. GOOD VIBRATIONS, of course, was everywhere that year, but I don't think I even had the single at the time. The Four Seasons, those Jersey Boys were IT for me in those early days, blasting out of the transistor speakers like no one else. Loved Frankie's falsetto then even more than Brian's at that time, and the studio drumming and tom-tom fills of the great unheralded studio drummer Buddy Saltzman and Bob Crewe's  punchy sound... OPUS 17 (DON'T YOU WORRY 'BOUT ME), WALK LIKE A MAN, BIG MAN IN TOWN, TELL IT TO THE RAIN and their version of SILENCE IS GOLDEN still rock my world - east coast street romanticism that would eventually fulfill its promise with Springsteen's soft summer nights...

Pete Fornatele and Jonathan Schwartz on the great FM station from NYC, WNEW-FM, both loved the Beach Boys and gave them hip cred on the burgeoning cool FM airwaves (you cannot believe how creative and relaxed those stations were – such an education and so hip in their choices and they had a great sense of leisure and silence around them compared with the non-stop barrage of gapless noise that fill current airwaves), and I can remember hearing SMILEY SMILE being played without interruption one afternoon and thinking how very strange this was – and then a wonderful WNEW DJ named Roscoe played Wind Chimes and I taped it on my SONY reel to reel deck and kept listening back to the exquisite deep-welled chorale at the tail. Again and again, like Brian's BE MY BABY. I was a pretty straight kid (viz. drugs) in high school (graduated in '71) but I knew something was going on here, Mr. Jones…I had a great job in the record department of a huge department store during 1968-69, when it all broke open – and that's when my Beach Boys and Brian Wilson awareness really took off. My primal scene was, oddly enough, the (stereo!) single of BREAKAWAY (with CELEBRATE THE NEWS on the flip side) on the new, ugly, orange, non-Beatled Capitol logo. Couldn't play it enough ("found out it was in my head") – especially the sheer SOUND of it (and wasn't it great to hear BW cover it again on the last few tours?). And who was this Reggie Dunbar, I wondered??From there, I went backwards in my Beach Boys education. 20/20, Friends, Wild Honey, etc. I started reading whatever I could about Brian Wilson (you have to remember that any serious rock press was still in its infancy) and became somewhat aware of The Myth (though SMiLE didn't really enter my consciousness until I later found the infamous Siegel article reprinted in a book I found by chance in the campus bookstore at college).

Great pop music has been the greatest and most consistent pleasure of my life. The records that thrilled me when I was a kid still do - the rush comes right back (especially in the car). Brian's melodies and his transcendent out of the body musical spirit has always cut the deepest, as it has for all of us - bypassing all interference, bodiless, going straight for the soul...."feels" indeed.

- PS



 

Re: The end of Smile- Some big questions, any takers?? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 01:15 AM CDT

I've always found the Hollywood freeway to be inspiring, too.

Seriously.  I know I'm in a minority, but I always loved driving on LA's freeways.  This glorious secular communion...

I find a weird sense of oneness when driving on LA Freeways.  See I don't live there so when I'm there I rarely have time constraints....so I just dig the scenery.

Wow, you guys are awesome!

I'm a lifelong LA resident who despises the freeways, but since this thread, I've been looking at them from a different point of view. Going south on the 405 can be an amazing experience when you pass the airport at dusk and exit on El Segundo Blvd or Rosecrans and drive toward the ocean.

Re: SOMEONE had to ask... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 01:09 AM CDT

Brian probably thought the Ramones were too loud. Plan and simple. Dee Dee probably would've given him drugs, and it would have been a nightmare situation and he would have been terrified that Johnny was gonna beat him up.

I think End Of The Century is an amazing album, song-wise, but I don't know what the hell Spector was thinking with the drums. Here you have the "wall of sound" guy, known for this cavernous drum sound, and you have a serious pounder like Marky Ramone, and what does Spector do? He gets the tinniest drum sound possible and dillutes Marky with Jim Keltner (a fantastic player, but he belongs nowhere near The Ramones)

Tommy and Ed were really the only guys capable of really producing The Ramones.

Joey's vocals sound amazing though! Spector got that part right.

Re: Setting the Record Straight, or revisionist history? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 01:03 AM CDT

I agree

If any band is gonna get discussed to the infinie detail, it's gonna be The Beach Boys. It's not like The Beatles where everything is wrapped up neatly in a tight little bow. The Beach Boys story is a messy one, so much detail, and too much amazing music to ever be taken in without arousing insane curiosity for the details and the people who created it.

Just how many famous bands in history have had 5 writers/singers/producers/multi-insturmentalistsand at least one confirmed genius?

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 12:09 AM CDT

As bad a wrap as this movie has gotten (e.g. that its pro-Lovester), it looks better than the 1990 movie, and I like how they use an actual SMiLE sleeve with the Frank Holmes artwork, The acting seems little shoddy, though. No matter what, I want to see the whole thing now just out of curiosity. Maybe that new BW movie will finally do the BB story, or at least Brian's part, justice.

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 12:06 AM CDT

Michael - "Sooner or later they'll learn...positivity and harmony lasts forever..."
 LOL

I dunno - watching that clip as well as the program back in the day has the same morbid fascination of a supermarket tabloid.
'Oh that's stupid. Real stupid. Oh well - I guess it won't hurt to thumb through it while I'm waiting...'

Re: POB: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 12:02 AM CDT

Bruce said recently he didn't like it.

Bruce is on crack.  But then again, he is a "Rock and Roll Survivor"...so what do I know?   Razz

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 11:46 PM CDT

Fred Weller (Brian Wilson) is my soon-to-be brother in law. No merda.

Really?  That's cool, tell him he did a fantastic job for me!

Re: Marcella on In Concert: BASS... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 11:38 PM CDT

I always thought it was. I blew up a buddies set of speakers with that cut while over-indulging that night in April 1974 in Wisconsin. Oh Lord, what memories.  He had passed out from brownies, the hash joint type, if 'n you catch my drift.

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 10:48 PM CDT

Fred Weller (Brian Wilson) is my soon-to-be brother in law. No merda.

Re: Song or album that turned you onto The Beach Boys [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 10:22 PM CDT

Liked most music of the 60's but The Beach Boys the most. When 20/20 came out, my life was definitely changed musically. It was a very dramatic emotional shift for a 19 year old. Those were tough years with my social life and I was mostly laughed at, that is until Surf's Up came out. The rest is history as I molded my career path to let me in the world of The Beach Boys. Yes, it was that important.

Re: POB: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 09:35 PM CDT

Tug of Love was recorded in '76, the bass vocal is Dennis and Gregg Jakobson...Mike Love is not on any of these recordings. Through the years Brian has said many times he thought POB was great..."I loved it" is a very recent quote. Carl loved it too. Bruce said recently he didn't like it.

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 09:18 PM CDT

What bothers me is the way "Let The Wind Blow" is portrayed as some sort of post-Smile concession  to make poppy, commercial boy/girl songs again.  Wild Honey is, to me, as much a part of Brian as Smile or Pet Sounds.

Re: The *official* Brian/BB picture thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 09:10 PM CDT

haha, somebody had to say it

Re: The Peter Ames Carlin Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 06:46 PM CDT

Right you are, of course, Peter. Mike Love was/is a kill-joy. The light that you present his bitterness towards Brian during the time of BWPS's release and concerts and afterglow justs bolsters the argument against those who think any kind of a reunion would be possible.

Re: The *official* Brian/BB picture thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 06:36 PM CDT

David is cooler in this pic because he's got more talent than Mike

Thought you had more sense than that  Cool

Re: Beach Boy Divorce Settlements [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 06:32 PM CDT



I'm pretty sure he's rich.

Never doubted it..

Having you're name to at least 10 beach boys songs alone would make you rich lol

Re: POB: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 06:13 PM CDT

Tug of Love kind of sounds like a newer sounding Holland (when's the recording date for this gem?) sounds like Mike it in the bass vocals.

Only With You sounds like it has a little more soul.

btw, i can't wait to hear what the other Beach Boys have to say about POB/Bambu, inparticularly Brian

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 06:03 PM CDT

i love hearing the piano parts of let the wind blow (did brian record this special for the film?)

also, if you see the comments below the video, i'm the JustinPlank dude.

Re: SMiLE running order - I Ran/Child [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 06:02 PM CDT

so we're saying I Ran is Look? that's what i thought

Re: SMiLE running order - I Ran/Child [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 05:49 PM CDT

I like "Child Is Father Of The Man" followed by "I Ran". It does flow nicely, and I already changed my SMiLE fan mix. police

I'm having a hard time putting "Mama Mama Mama" before "Wonderful" though,  but I'm gonna give it a good listen.

By putting "Child Is Father Of The Man" BEFORE "I Ran" (Song For Children), after the release of BWPS, you know you're committing blasphemy....

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 05:10 PM CDT

I didn't hate it when I first saw it...it seems to approximate the crazyness of the Smile period fairly well.  Obviously the portrayal of Brian is a bit extreme, and it fails to show that despite his issues, he recorded a lot of great music during that period.  The band reactions seem about right though.

The other thing that annoyed me was showing Brian singing "Let the Wind Blow" using Carl's voice from the recording.

Re: The *official* Brian/BB picture thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 04:54 PM CDT

David is cooler in this pic because he's got more talent than Mike

BEACH BOYS in Santa Monica 1965 CD Oil Well ["beach boys"]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 03:06 PM CDT

US $24.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Monday Apr-28-2008 13:06:35 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $30.00
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON PRESENTS SMILE *NEW DVD* ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 10:59 AM CDT

US $17.39
End Date: Wednesday Apr-30-2008 8:59:23 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $17.39
Buy it now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON - PET SOUNDS LIVE, CD ,BEACH BOYS ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 09:35 AM CDT

US $3.95 (0 Bid)
End Date: Friday May-02-2008 7:35:24 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: