Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

To The Heartical Don [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 07:05 AM CST

NO, I have NEVER been to a brothel. I was backstage in a fairground in Keene, NH. When I met Mike Love. As I had mentioned. Do a Google Maps search for it. They had campers there instead of trailers. It most likely is all stipulated in their contract with the promoter at the time.

Just because a "madam" is in a photo with any of The Beach Boys, does NOT mean they are IN a brothel. They are outside behind the stage area. I am familiar with backstage areas. I have been to about 100 concerts with my brother who was a DJ in the 80's Many backstages many tour buses and hotels. I DO have experience in this area.

Re: Mike [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 06:27 AM CST

OH MY GOD!

BRUCE ISN'T WEARING A HAT! SOUND THE ALARMS!  LOL
He looks much better without one, in my opinion, gets to show off that sweet head of hair he still has.

Have you seen the Grand Coolee working on the railroad? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 05:34 AM CST

...or more to the point, have you seen this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fbd0d

Simon Schama analyses American immigration over 200 years, focusing on how the coast-to-coast railroad was built by the Chinese in the 19th century. Superb programme.

Re: Steve Hoffman to remaster [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 03:45 AM CST

Quote
But, to my ears anyway, much of Pet Sounds suffers by far from the worst recorded sound quality of all The Beach Boys albums, even worse than Wild Honey.  (Please note I'm talking about the sound quality of the much of the recording, not the quality of the recorded material!)  Overall, the album sounds very tinny to me, with way too much emphasis in the 2 to 4 KHz range (upper midrange and lower treble).  The modern day stereo remix has made significant improvements in this regard, but I've always been curious why much of Pet Sounds has what I consider to be a very irritating EQ - one found on no other Beach Boys recording.


Wow...worse than Wild Honey?! That's...wow. To my ears, WH has the worst sound of any of their albums as it just sounds too damn muddy. The tracks that have been remixed in stereo (whether legit release or boot) sound so much better.



Smiley Smile ain't much better.

Agreed on everything here except the original quote.  I've never felt that Pet Sounds suffered from poor sound quality.  I've just always felt that with all the layers of instrumentation and vocals, this album was crying out for stereo from the very beginning.  I just have difficulty understanding why so many people disqualify the stereo remix, because it is not historically correct.   If mono is your thing, what's so bad about the original mastering?

I am contemplating punctuating my right eardrum to hear it the way Brian hears it. Makes me the coolest BW nutter in the universe.

Re: If you could bring a dead rock star back to life [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 03:41 AM CST

Re: Be My Baby [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 03:34 AM CST

Quote
I love the "boom, boom, boom, BOOM!" drumbeat in "Be My Baby". The Jesus and Mary Chain copied it on "Just Like Honey" and a couple of their other songs, and Camera Obscura also used it in their song "Eighties Fan".

 Billy Joel's 'Say Goodbye To Hollywood' perfectly concatonates with 'Be My Baby' - same beat, same time, same key.  If you put the 2 songs together and remove the pause track you, seamlessly, get 1 song. 

Quote
you can hear an inferior remix is used on the back to mono and best of ronettes cd's from abcko
 It seems to me that Donna Clarkson may eventually acquire control of the song should she prevail in her wrongful death suit against Spector.  Should this occur, it could well be that the sound will then be improved.



I like concatenating. Since I am an unmarried investigator, I often do it in between solving crimes, playing the violin, and ingesting a 7% cocaine solution.

Re: Be My Baby [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 03:13 AM CST

Quote
I love the "boom, boom, boom, BOOM!" drumbeat in "Be My Baby". The Jesus and Mary Chain copied it on "Just Like Honey" and a couple of their other songs, and Camera Obscura also used it in their song "Eighties Fan".

 Billy Joel's 'Say Goodbye To Hollywood' perfectly concatonates with 'Be My Baby' - same beat, same time, same key.  If you put the 2 songs together and remove the pause track you, seamlessly, get 1 song. 

Quote
you can hear an inferior remix is used on the back to mono and best of ronettes cd's from abcko
 It seems to me that Donna Clarkson may eventually acquire control of the song should she prevail in her wrongful death suit against Spector.  Should this occur, it could well be that the sound will then be improved.

Re: Mike [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 02:11 AM CST

Thud Let me deflate this one quickly.. I met Mike in 1989 in Keene, NH at The Cheshire Fairgrounds. Notice the background.. Trailers set up and fake grass?
 Now look at the background in mine
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=87187585&albumID=546458&imageID=13584037

 This is the typical backstage set up. They met them backstage at a concert. NOT a Brothel!! And even if they did... Who cares?

Now, my dear Watson. That particular situation is of the highest interest to me. (*lights a new cigarette*). We can firmly deduct from this pictorial evidence that a certain mr. Alf64 also was present in that brothel, together with mr. Michael Love and mr. Bruce Johnston, and that said Alf is desperately going to great lengths to make the world believe that the occasion was of an entirely innocent nature.
Now we must try to discover whom Alf went to know there in the Biblical sense, and how many sovereigns he spent on the pleasures of the flesh. Hurry up, good man, the game's afoot!

Re: Be My Baby [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 01:37 AM CST

I love the "boom, boom, boom, BOOM!" drumbeat in "Be My Baby". The Jesus and Mary Chain copied it on "Just Like Honey" and a couple of their other songs, and Camera Obscura also used it in their song "Eighties Fan".

...and Mercury Rev used it to good effect on a song of theirs. It's on their 'best of' double CD set that I acquired yesterday. Don't have the title at hand now but it is definitely the Ronettes drum pattern.

There's that one part in a BB documentary with Brian playing the beat on a snare drum and talking about it

Re: Mike [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 01:11 AM CST

Is Bruce holding that guys butt? Shocked
Oddly enough, it sure looks like it!

So who's going to ask Bruce on BBB if he's really holding that guy's butt in the picture?  Cheesy

Re: Steve Hoffman to remaster [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 01:00 AM CST

I just have difficulty understanding why so many people disqualify the stereo remix, because it is not historically correct.

You answered your own question.  There's also missing double tracked vocals, either Mike is missing from the WIBN bridge or distractingly flown in from the mono mix depending on which version you're hearing, and too much digital reverb for my taste.

Quote
If mono is your thing, what's so bad about the original mastering?

Compression!  Besides, not everyone has access to vinyl and even if they did, why wouldn't they want the best sounding option?

Re: Mike [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 11:46 PM CST

Is Bruce holding that guys butt? Shocked
Oddly enough, it sure looks like it!

(20) 2008 Topps Update #262 BRIAN WILSON A/S ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 10:52 PM CST

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Nov-06-2008 20:52:07 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 10:21 PM CST

Please stay, AGD. I enjoy reading your input.




Re: If you could bring a dead rock star back to life [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 09:39 PM CST

Re: Big News - Mike Love records with Al Jardine [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 09:22 PM CST

I never knew who anyone was before I was a fan, the only one I would recognize on the street was the monkey-looking guy.

Re: Steve Hoffman to remaster \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 09:21 PM CST

It sounds great in stereo. What sounds better in mono is the early, pre-today stuff. For some reason I like Surfin USA but the rest of that stuff sounds better in MOno.

Re: If you could bring a dead rock star back to life [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 09:12 PM CST

Hmm, I guess I would either bring back Esquival or John Lennon.

"That Lucky Old Sun" by Brian Wilson (CD-2008) ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 09:00 PM CST

US $3.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Nov-06-2008 19:00:00 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: Mike [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 08:35 PM CST

OH MY GOD!

BRUCE ISN'T WEARING A HAT! SOUND THE ALARMS!  LOL

Brian Wilson 2 Tickets Nashville Ryman 8TH ROW CENTER! ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 08:05 PM CST

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Nov-06-2008 18:05:00 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

Brian Wilson: What I Really Want For Christmas CD ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 06:20 PM CST

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Nov-06-2008 16:20:49 PST
Buy It Now for only: US $4.99
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON TICKETS 11/10 NASHVILLE ~ 4TH ROW FLOOR ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 05:53 PM CST

US $90.00
End Date: Thursday Nov-06-2008 15:53:53 PST
Buy It Now for only: US $90.00
Buy it now | Add to watch list

No comments: