Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Anyone know this DVD? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 06 Nov 2008 05:10 AM CST

Anyone know this DVD? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 06 Nov 2008 04:56 AM CST

The Beach Boys - the Broadcast Archives
Studio: Plastic Head
DVD Release Date: 4 Aug 2008
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beach-Boys-Broadcast-Archives/dp/B001CKZTHQ/ref=pd_sim_m_h__3

Any info appreciated.

Re: Going to see Brian (For the first time!)/autograph session!! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 06 Nov 2008 03:50 AM CST

I really wish I could make it to the NYC autograph sessions. If only I hadn't cut my Friday class five times already...

Country Love writing credits [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 06 Nov 2008 03:46 AM CST

Did Mike write all these songs? I mean, besides Today I Started Loving You Again (which is a Merle Haggard cover)? I don't know much about late-70s country music to know which of the other ones are covers. And maybe he had someone writing for him or with him. There's some songs that seem to be written by him. Dallas makes reference to his former career as a gas station attendant. The lyrics on Country Love and First Love are the kind of lyrics I'd expect from someone who's had so many failed marriages. His Beach Boys songs were always so happy but his solo songs are rather melancholy.

Brian Wilson State Theater Minneapolis question(s)... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 06 Nov 2008 12:27 AM CST

I am going to the Minneapolis show (State Theatre) I've never been to Minneapolis before (I live in Calgary Alberta, Canada).  I only chose this show because it was on a Saturday and I wouldn't have to miss work.  Flying out Friday night and leaving Sunday morning.

I saw all of Brian's Hollywood Bowl shows a few months ago and they were great but I wanted to see a full TLOS show as I think the album is great.  I have an extra ticket if anyone wants to buy it (third row just off center) for face value.  But you will have to sit next to me!


Any Minneapolis folk here?  Are there any good cd shops near the State Theatre?  Is the State Theatre far from the airport?  If any BB/BW geeks want to get together for a bite or a drink and chat about all things BB/BW - I'm game.

BEACH BOYS REL 45; JAN ( BERRY )W/ BRIAN WILSON ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 06 Nov 2008 12:02 AM CST

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Nov-08-2008 22:02:26 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

BEACH BOYS REL 45; BRIAN WILSON; YOUR IMAGINATION ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 11:47 PM CST

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Nov-08-2008 21:47:33 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

What I Really Want For Christmas Brian Wilson ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 10:41 PM CST

US $3.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Nov-08-2008 20:41:21 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: Going to see Brian (For the first time!)/autograph session!! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 10:40 PM CST

 Smiley

i'm going to the autograph session that Brian is doing here in NYC on the 21st of Nov.!  I'm really damn excited! 

Re: Van Dyke Parks [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:58 PM CST

Ditto. I'm straight and gay marriage is illegal here, but I'd probably propose to him anyway. A word-nerd who plays a mean piano? Yes, please.

Re: Van Dyke Parks [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:53 PM CST

Would kill to see this man perform near me!!

Re: Stereolab [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:52 PM CST

Funny you say that. I found the hardest one was Sound Dust. Still is sometimes. Really reminds me of Smile stuff a lot. MAQ is a great album as well. Dots and Loops is a still  big favorite of mine as is a lot of Aluminum Tunes. Really out there stuff, but amazing to me.

Re: Beach Boys concerts - professionally filmed [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:51 PM CST

Must be others...besides the poor quality homemade films (don't get me wrong...glad to have them in any form)

same with live recordings,,,would like more quality

Re: If you could bring a dead rock star back to life [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:49 PM CST

Lucky! I saw them in 2006 and that was great as well. Loud gig, but expected. I think I was the only one of 5 people dancing the whole time. It was a lot of fun!

Re: Value of \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:47 PM CST

probably around 20 dollars us if it is in top condition......check online to see what it is going for

I still have one in the shrink wrap.......love the cover!

Re: in defence of \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:45 PM CST

I still have a soft spot for Framptom Comes Alive for the same reason Embarrassed

ooooohhhh bebbie I luv yer waaayyyy!!!  (evereyday)

Re: The Stephen Desper Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:41 PM CST

Josh, thanks for asking all those questions, and Steve, thanks for answering them.  I await with baited breath the updated "Recording The Beach Boys by Stephen W. Desper".

Charles LePage: Beach Boys raise over $40K for Galveston Red Cross (via FriendFeed) [Smiley Smile Dot Net]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:37 PM CST

Charles LePage posted a link
9 hours ago - Comment - Like
"By the end of the night O'Neil said they had raised over $40,000. Galveston's Underground Surf Depot also donated a surf board that The Beach Boys autographed. It was auctioned off at the end of the night." - Charles LePage

Charles LePage: CARNIE WILSON PREGNANT WITH SECOND CHILD (via FriendFeed) [Smiley Smile Dot Net]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:36 PM CST

Charles LePage posted a link
9 hours ago - Comment - Like
"She tells OK! magazine, "My due date is June 24 (09). I'm having a C-section probably June 10." And Wilson, daughter of Beach Boy rocker Brian Wilson, admits she hopes to join the legion of celebrity mums who've given birth to a double bundle of joy. She adds: "I went (to the doctor) for blood tests, and my hormone levels were climbing. My levels were over tripling so my doctor said to me, 'You might have twins in there.' "I can't stop thinking about twins! My sister had twins; my grandmother was a twin and my grandmother's aunt had twins. I had my first ultrasound and we only saw one sac, but it's not confirmed that it's not two because one could be hiding in the back of the other... we'll see." Wilson and Bonfiglio married in 2000." - Charles LePage

Charles LePage: Made for These Times - Music - Nashville Scenepage 1 (via FriendFeed) [Smiley Smile Dot Net]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:35 PM CST

Charles LePage posted a link
9 hours ago - Comment - Like
"Having skipped Nashville on both his Pet Sounds and Smile tours, and having not toured as a member of the Beach Boys since 1965, not even Brian Wilson himself can remember the last time he was in Music City. (Apparently, he doesn't recall his Fourth of July Riverfront Park performance in 2003.) Asked to recount his past experiences here, he says simply, "I wouldn't be able to answer that question. I don't know. I just like the people, you know?" He says this in a tone that begs for the discontinuation of this or any other line of questioning not specific to his new record or tour." - Charles LePage

Re: Big News - Mike Love records with Al Jardine [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:31 PM CST

Yeah, and the setlist would rock too:

The One After 409
Don't Back Me Down
I Dig a Worm
I've Got A Friend..ly Feeling
Get Back Home

And then Mike says, "I'd like to thank you on behalf of the group and myself, and I hope we didn't foda with the formula!"
It'd make a great movie ending.

Re: Big News - Mike Love records with Al Jardine [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:25 PM CST

Of course, it doesn't help prospects that Brian once reportedly said that "the real reason the Beach Boys will never reunite is because I can't stand to be in the same room with Mike Love for more than five minutes".
Brian had no problems standing side by side with Mike on the Capitol Rooftop. For more than five minutes. That's it, rooftop concert and live CD, it's never been done!  Razz

Re: dookie [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:07 PM CST

I look forward to saying fucker as often as possible. This is the best moment of my life. (OK, not the best, but it's pretty great. Ah, sweet profanity.)

Re: Big News - Mike Love records with Al Jardine [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 08:49 PM CST


Of course, it doesn't help prospects that Brian once reportedly said that "the real reason the Beach Boys will never reunite is because I can't stand to be in the same room with Mike Love for more than five minutes".


I was just thinking about some of the things Brian has said over the years and wonder if he is just uncertain, mentally ill, or if this is just his sense of humor or his 'way around' discussing certain things.    Or maybe a bit of each...

For example(paraphrased):

- Smile will never come out, the tapes were destroyed
- The Wondermints sound better than the Beach Boys ever did
- (Insert album name here) is my favorite album
- Murray tied me to a tree and beat me with a board(rebutted with Mike's adamant denial this ever happened)
- I was BORN deaf in my right ear
- I didn't know Dennis had a solo album
- Nobody thinks the Beach Boys will work together again






Re: US Election [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 08:46 PM CST

Of course there are technological changes. And societal changes. But the basic struggle between two barely different parties makes all of those societal changes take FOREVER. There is no perfect action and not much fast action. Getting excited for some savior president is a sure way to be let down. I like Obama more than McCain. I like the Democratic party more than the Republican. But it's not like either (or any other) is worth getting your hopes up for. What are we talking about, universal healthcare? Seems to me that was the #1 priority of Clinton in 1992. It went so well that the Republicans had a great midterm in 1994 and caused a half-decade of stalemates and partisan bickering, resulting in ludicrous impeachment hearings over a blowjob. I suspect things won't go as well as hoped, as fast as hoped, and the Republicans will gain a lot of seats in 2010. They'll further slow any Obama plans. And by then, ambitious congresspeople (and Obama) won't want to tackle any tough issues because they'll start gearing up for 2012.

Re: Big News - Mike Love records with Al Jardine [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 08:44 PM CST

Of course, it doesn't help prospects that Brian once reportedly said that "the real reason the Beach Boys will never reunite is because I can't stand to be in the same room with Mike Love for more than five minutes".

Good post, mutedtrumpeterswan. I agree with your desriptions of how a reworking of an old tune could come off. There are pros and cons to it, and, like I said in an earlier post, I guess I could live with just one, if it was tastefully done.

I did want to comment on your quote that I highlighted. While I don't doubt that Brian honestly felt the way he did when he made that particular statement, it was only a moment in time. We all know how hot and cold Brian can get about certain subjects; just read his interviews and it's easy to find contradictions. It wouldn't surprise me (although I admit it's a bit of a long shot) that if Brian is listening to his favorite oldies radio station, and "Do It Again" comes on, that Brian would say, "You know, I wouldn't mind producing a Beach Boys' record again". Now, what happens after that is the real question!

Re: Big News - Mike Love records with Al Jardine [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 08:04 PM CST

There were good and bad things about the surviving Beatles reworking and adding their vocals to two John Lennon demos for the "Anthology" project. It was somewhat of a bastardization but in a sense provided a modern closure to their legacy. (Not that that was
needed.


"California Slide" has a wonderful, uniquely Dennis-esque, "Celebrate the News" type of free-spiritedness about it that makes it a good
candidate for a similar approach by the surviving Beach Boys, if everything came together that way (admittedly unlikely). There is, though,
a kind of almost sickening, contrived quality about the two "Beatles" songs that a theoretical reworking and release of "California Slide" would undoubtedly share an element of, but it is an intriguing concept as the conceivable climax of a theoretical Beach Boys swan song album project.



Of course, it doesn't help prospects that Brian once reportedly said that "the real reason the Beach Boys will never reunite is because I can't stand to be in the same room with Mike Love for more than five minutes".

A lot of purists will say that it is a repellent prospect to hypothetically redo "California Slide", but I think that if it was done tastefully and pro-
perly it could have merit and even be a beautiful thing. I'm sensing a buzz here, but of course it is in the insular sphere of a ( somewhat in-
fluential and well-respected) message board and probably has about as much chance of happening as "Dancing with the Stars" going off the
air anytime in the near future. Grin

Re: The Stephen Desper Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 07:42 PM CST

Hi Folks, and Mr. Desper  if you're out there.  Yes, I am a hardcore fan.

Thank you in advance.

JH055

Welcome to The Smiley Smile Dot Net Message Board.  When my book is available, I'll be posting where to obtain it on this board first. In the meantime, if you are a hardcore fan, you found a wonderful place to visit.  Any questions for me will be answered here. And, as you can see, other people close to the Beach Boy organization also can be reached here.

Good listening, ~Stephen W. Desper

Re: dookie [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 07:38 PM CST

Test: friggin' foda fucker foda

EDIT: Okay, so f ////cking is friggin', f//ck is foda, fucker is uncensored (?), and f//cked is foda.

No comments: