Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Carl and the Passions/Holland Question [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 08 Nov 2008 06:15 AM CST

...And from 2:20 to 2:35, you can hear him sing "funky pretty gone" three times!

Re: Carl and the Passions/Holland Question [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 08 Nov 2008 12:22 AM CST

He is and he isn't. He's prominent once you know what to look for. Or listen for, that is. It's the "Funky Girl, why" part (I think that's the correct lyric).

Re: Classification of Young American Females [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 08 Nov 2008 12:19 AM CST

Possibly the funniest thing posted on this board in ages.

Epic win.

Re: Classification of Young American Females [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 11:33 PM CST

haha, ok now that was freakin great.

BRIAN WILSON VAN DYKE PARK Words + Music U.S. promo CD ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 11:31 PM CST

US $5.00 (0 Bid)
End Date: Monday Nov-10-2008 21:31:55 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

Classification of Young American Females [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 10:25 PM CST

Re: Brian songs 71-75??? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 09:59 PM CST

Sadly it's not Patty Cake, but a cover of a song called "Daddy Dear", discussed at length over here:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,550.0.html

Ok....how do I get this recording?  Brow

Re: Postcard From California [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 09:52 PM CST

For a band almost 50 years old, to have the possibility of 5 members from its first 5 years still in the biz is quite incredible.

Yes, it is incredible. And I find a potential group consisting of Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks, and Bruce Johnston quite intriguing. They all have different musical styles, don't they? With no slight to Carl and Dennis, if you told me in the 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's that I was going to a Beach Boys' concert that featured this group, I would be very pleased.

Re: C.W. Trbute concert at Roxy: any reviews/comments/feedback/anecdotes? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 09:44 PM CST

Photos from the concert are now up on the CWF's MySpace site at http://www.myspace.com/carlwilsonfoundation. There will also be a photo essay up on the main CWF site in the next few weeks.


This one really blew my mind: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=224013343&albumID=961431&imageID=13875942

that coupled with listening to the Hang on to your Ego sessions where Brian can be heard having this conversation with someone: "i'm cutting here this sunday in this very room.. a song i wrote today. its called god only knows"  "what?"    "god only knows what i'd be without you."  "that's good!"

Two (2) Tickets- Brian Wilson Chicago Theatre 11/16/08 ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 07:21 PM CST

US $99.00 (0 Bid)
End Date: Monday Nov-10-2008 17:21:02 PST
Buy It Now for only: US $125.00
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: Postcard From California [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 07:17 PM CST

I'm from the K.I.S.S school of thought.

For a band almost 50 years old, to have the possibility of 5 members from its first 5 years still in the biz is quite incredible.

BRIAN WILSON Tickets in the PIT!!! South Bend 11/13/08 ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 07:15 PM CST

US $9.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Monday Nov-10-2008 17:15:05 PST
Buy It Now for only: US $249.99
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON TICKETS 11/10 NASHVILLE ~ 4TH ROW FLOOR ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 07:13 PM CST

US $70.00
End Date: Monday Nov-10-2008 17:13:57 PST
Buy It Now for only: US $70.00
Buy it now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON TICKETS 11/10 NASHVILLE ~ 5TH ROW FLOOR ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 07:12 PM CST

US $65.00
End Date: Monday Nov-10-2008 17:12:05 PST
Buy It Now for only: US $65.00
Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: C.W. Trbute concert at Roxy: any reviews/comments/feedback/anecdotes? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 06:59 PM CST

Photos from the concert are now up on the CWF's MySpace site at http://www.myspace.com/carlwilsonfoundation. There will also be a photo essay up on the main CWF site in the next few weeks.





Re: Carl and the Passions/Holland Question [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 06:46 PM CST

I thought he was pretty prominent in the tag of funky pretty...hmm whoever it is, fooled me

Re: Van Dyke Parks [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 04:42 PM CST

Ditto. I'm straight and gay marriage is illegal here, but I'd probably propose to him anyway. A word-nerd who plays a mean piano? Yes, please.

Two more advantages. He loves his red wine, and allegedly he is a great cook (does exotic African soups, for instance). Yes. He'd make a great wife. Luther, go for it!
Well I love red wine and also to cook. Maybe I'd make the great wife. In fact ... are VDP and I a lesbian couple? wtf?

Re: Brian Wilson State Theater Minneapolis question(s)... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 04:35 PM CST

Thanks for the helpful info Luther!  Much appreciated.

I take it with your opinion of current BB new release offerings that you won't be attending the show (not that there is anything wrong with that)Huh  If I am wrong and you will be attending, find me and say hello (I will be the very sleep deprived 34 year old with a rum and coke in hand)!

Cheers,
Rich

Actually I liked TLOS quite a lot. And I will be attending this one, although it may be my last BW show, I think (whether it's his last one here or not). Barring another concert of new material, it's just not worth the prices for me anymore. Nothing wrong with the shows, mind you: I've loved each of the 3 I've seen. Anyway, yeah, I'll be there, the likely drunk-off-my-ass 32-year-old guy being mocked by the lady who will be accompanying me for being such a geek as to pay through the nose (my friends and I tend more toward indie shows that cost $5-15, or are comp'd anyway) for tickets to an old crazy guy's show.

Re: The Stephen Desper Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 03:26 PM CST

Mr. Desper, I would personally like to thank you for sharing your knowledge and stories about the Beach Boys with us all. We all appreciate it!

Re: Carl and the Passions/Holland Question [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 03:19 PM CST

I hear him on He Came Down (right after the "Yes I Believe it" part, singing in a lower register making him sound like his 1976 self minus the rasp)  and Marcella (one of the backups on the tag)

He's also on the tag of Funky Pretty, buried, but still audible (again singing in a lower register).  I always thought that was him doing the high part on Steamboat, but apparently that's Al.

Re: Postcard From California [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 03:10 PM CST

Or Ricky?

Re: Brian songs 71-75??? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 03:09 PM CST

dont forget he did back up on Terry Melcher's Why Do Fools fall in Love?

Re: Postcard From California [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 02:57 PM CST

thats a great idea Carl's son Justin filling in with Mike, Brain, Al, and Bruce does Dennis have any sons I don't recall.

Yep. Dennis' son Carl B. play drums in "In bloom" with Justy on guitar

But, you already have an real Beach Boy in David Marks, who happens to be a great guitarist. And, there's a couple of good ex-touring Beach Boys' drummers who could fill that slot, including the current drummers in Mike & Bruce's band, as well as Brian's.

New EP [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 02:52 PM CST

Hello
I have a new EP out, I think I mentiones it another thread but now it's up on itunes! It's called 'Rhymes for rainy days'!! It's about the Autumn.....
All links on my page!

www.myspace.com/brigadiermusic

Cheers
Matt

Re: Brian songs 71-75??? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 02:44 PM CST

It's BRIAN on vocals!!!!!!!!!! BRIAN, I say. My cousin's uncle's friend's brother's sister's mother's cousin's aunt's uncle's son's brother who knew Brian told me.

 Smiley Cheesy Grin Shocked Cool Roll Eyes Tongue Evil Afro 3D angel LOL Cool Guy Wink Razz

Re: NEW QUIZ BLOG ... test your BEACH BOYS knowledge ! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 02:15 PM CST

Just posted the average scores for the 3-Part Brian Wilson quiz if anyone's interested. Thanks for your support so far !  Cool

Re: Brian songs 71-75??? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 02:14 PM CST

 Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!

No comments: