Thursday, May 15, 2008

Fit-n-15 VideoPodcast-ExerciseRadio.com

Fit-n-15 VideoPodcast-ExerciseRadio.com

[Personal Training NYC ClientI]

Posted: 14 May 2008 12:53 PM CDT

So, I’m just finishing my first five weeks with Terri.  When I started, just a few weeks ago, I had no idea what to expect from my first block of sessions.  I only knew I had to show up, as Terri says.

Three years ago my life changed radically, and my body changed with it.  For the first time, I found myself really overweight and out of shape.  I spent about two years thinking about how terrible this was, and by extension, how terrible I was to have put myself in this position.  Trust me, if self-recrimination or loathing were aerobic activities, I certainly wouldn’t be typing this now — I’d be too busy shopping the sample sales.  So walking into Terri’s gym for the first time, I was completing a mental marathon, if not a physical one.

After nearly five weeks that have been packed with social obligations, some bad food choices, and fewer workouts on my own than I’d like to report, I’m not sure what the measuring tape will say.  I’m crossing my fingers pretty hard.  But I’m also aware, thanks to Terri, that I’m not just perfecting my pull-ups in my sessions (a good thing, because I have a long way to go on that front), I’m also learning to appreciate the small steps, like eating breakfast, facing of the cold hard facts, and showing up.  So I’m not sure what the measuring tape or the scale will say, but I know that in tons of ways, I’m a lot stronger, and a lot lighter than I was the first day I rang Terri’s buzzer.   I’m also ready to see what the next five weeks bring, and more committed to getting my workouts on my own done.  For me, that’s a lot in just five weeks.  With any luck at all, I’ll also be a little smaller.

No comments: