Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Fit-n-15 VideoPodcast-ExerciseRadio.com

Fit-n-15 VideoPodcast-ExerciseRadio.com

(almost) 5 weeks later [Personal Training NYC ClientI]

Posted: 20 May 2008 07:26 AM CDT

I’ve almost finished my first block of sessions with Terri, and all I can talk about lately is how great it’s been.  So much of what’s fantastic about working out with her is in how she, and her gym, are so radically different from the standard.  She’s created a service that really removes so many of the barriers to working out that she really makes it easy.  She’s not just there to put in her hour and get home –  I really learn a lot when I’m there.  And not having to watch myself sweat from every possible angle?  Fantastic.  I can’t count the number of times I’ve left my regular gym not focussed on what I accomplished, but obsessed with how fat/red-faced/fill-in-the-blank I looked when I glanced up from the treadmill and (accidentally, believe me) caught my reflection, especially given how hard I’ve trained my eyes to avoid that view at all costs.  Or if not that, then how fat/red-faced/fill-in-the-blank I was compared to the skinny girl on the next treadmill.   Or, on the worst days, how fat/red-faced/fill-in-the-blank I looked in the mirror compared to how the skinny girl on the treadmill did.  The conspiracies of vanity and self-loathing were just too many to count, and to be honest, they kept me home a lot.  Walking into Terri’s gym is something entirely different — no mirrors, no other clients, no distractions.  Just an hour of hard work and learning that leaves me feeling better every time (no matter what I say while it’s happening).

No comments: