Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: BW to Make Global Announcements at Capitol Records Monday [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 06:44 AM CDT

It's either going to be......

1) A BB Reunion



I guess in that case the other BBs would be there too...

Exactly right - though announcing their prescence beforehand would somewhat spoil the surprise if that was true.

I'm guessing TLOS will be released through Capitol and getting an international release date (hence the 'global' announcement). If thats what it is, I'll be a happy man.

By the way, have you guys noted that it says 'announcements', plural?

Re: BW to Make Global Announcements at Capitol Records Monday [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 06:13 AM CDT



Well, if this is true, this is a momumental breakthrough of sorts, isn't it? Not only is this news good, but it opens up boundless possibilities for future archive releases too, or am I being overly enthusiastic?

Re: Bob Dylan Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 05:34 AM CDT

Peerke's compilation is fantastic, would be really difficult for me to add anything, except for maybe "Let Me Die In My Footsteps" and some more "Nashville Skyline" cuts ("To Be Alone With You").

Good to see the 'alternate' "You're A Big Girl Now" on it though, which outshines the "Blood On The Tracks" version. 

Re: Pacific Ocean Blue - Review + more news [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 05:24 AM CDT

More Bambu snippets up at pacificoceanblue.net

Wow, "Love Remember Me" is interesting. First the pianobit which reminds me of "Time" (from POB), then the sudden chane into the part that some among us have known as "Our Love", or "My Love Keeps Tumbling/Falling Down On You"....

This makes me anxious to hear this whole song.
Seconded.

Really like the harmonica on "Wild Situation" too, sounds great!

Re: Pacific Ocean Blue - Review + more news [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 05:10 AM CDT

More Bambu snippets up at pacificoceanblue.net

Wow, "Love Remember Me" is interesting. First the pianobit which reminds me of "Time" (from POB), then the sudden chane into the part that some among us have known as "Our Love", or "My Love Keeps Tumbling/Falling Down On You"....

This makes me anxious to hear this whole song.

Taylor Hawkins/Dennis single to be released! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 04:41 AM CDT

This is on Yahoo news, question is - is this the one with Queen on or the one off the album?;

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/wenn/20080517/ten-foo-fighter-hawkins-replaces-wilson-c60bd6d.html

By WENN world entertainment news - 50 minutes agoFoo Fighters star Taylor Hawkins is set to take the place of late The Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson on an upcoming commemorative single.

(Advertisement)
Hawkins will provide vocals for Holy Man, which will feature on an updated version of Wilson's 1977 acclaimed solo album Pacific Ocean Blue, which will be released in the US on 9 June.

The single is slated for release on the same day as the reissued double-CD LP, which will act as a tribute to the star, who died in 1983 after drowning at Los Angeles' Marina Del Rey.

And Gregg Jokobson, who co-wrote and co-produced the original album, insists the Foo Fighters drummer was an obvious choice to replace Wilson, because of his similar sounding vocal talents.

He says, "I always said, 'Taylor, you sound just like Dennis.' Taylor is just a natural. He came in, he did the vocal within an hour and I really think he knocked it out of the park."

Re: Quadrogenarian Symphony To God, Just Now [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 04:34 AM CDT

I thought about it while typing that post, and I honestly don't think it had been in my player in that long. Possible exception: I moved twice in that span (maybe three times, I 'd have to figure it) and I have a ritual since college of always blasting Pet Sounds first in a new place, as soon as the stereo is hooked up.  So now that I think of that, I probably did play it once in March 2004.

But the album is so in my head now I can hear it without actually playing it. Got stuck in the Burbank pokey two days before Christmas once (1992)- (don't ask, misunderstanding over an unpaid ticket)- and I "listened" to Pet Sounds twice through in my head while pacing in a freezing cell; didn't miss a note or an overdub.

You have to understand- I've had the album, starting on vinyl, since 1982, and for years and years I went to sleep every night to side one or two.  In high school I occasionally substituted in Anthony Phillips' The Geese And The Ghost.

Boy, though- years of searching eBay and Amazon with no luck for an orphan copy of disc 1- over.

Re: The M.I.U. Album [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 04:31 AM CDT

Loved it when Peter Ames Carlin described "Belles of Paris" as Mike Love sounding just as sophisticated as Pepe le Pew.

Re: BW to Make Global Announcements at Capitol Records Monday [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 03:58 AM CDT

It's either going to be......

1) A BB Reunion



I guess in that case the other BBs would be there too...

Re: Quadrogenarian Symphony To God, Just Now [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 02:40 AM CDT

You hadn't heard Pet Sounds in 7 years? That's amazing.

Re: BW to Make Global Announcements at Capitol Records Monday [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 01:45 AM CDT

If he is signed to Capitol again as a solo act, that's pretty impressive that they thought that much of TLOS. 

Re: Joke Of The Day [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 01:38 AM CDT

In fairness to the RS Record Guide from 1978 (the red cover?), that book was probably the reason I walked to the record store as a kid and bought Village Green. It made me curious.  At the same time, I understood how flawed it was because of the lunacy of their Pet Sounds rating (was it really three stars? SHEESH!)

So if I read correctly, they had their future all-time greatest album and the runner-up both at three stars. Even as a kid I laughed at those two head-up-the-backside reviews.

I still remember a lot of the ratings, including five stars each for All Summer Long and Summer Days, both of which I had from early childhood, but it was a bit confusing because a lot of the Capitol truncated versions, sold as budget-priced LP two-fers, were also retitled at that time (and hideously re-covered). So Summer Days was California Girls (shrink-wrapped with All Summer Long, which therefore had its back cover on the front- and both in matching red). Today! was Dance, Dance, Dance- I think- packaged with Shut Down Volume II as Fun, Fun Fun.  Oddest of all, I had a truncated pressing of The Beach Boys In Concert (no "Johnny B. Goode, no "Wanderer") with a freaky cover parodying the iconic carrying-the-surfboard image and the title "Wow! Great Party!".

Endless Summer got five, needless to say.  Spirit Of America got four, I think- criminal if correct.

But I digress...again.

Back to the Kinks, I think they gave the prestigious five stars to Something Else, Kinks-Size, Face To Face, VGPS, and Lola Vs. Powerman, all hard to argue with. Four to Arthur, three (?) to Preservation Act 1...they had their instances of being grossly full of it, but they put me on to some really great stuff and got my curiosity going in a good way.

They called 15 Big Ones, I think it was, a"study of a worm on a hook"- an interesting phrase that I'm still trying to figure out three decades later.

Speaking of which, apologies to Luther, after rereading this thread.  I had misread a phrase as "I despise their talent", which just cracked me up for some reason.  He actually wrote "I despise them despite their talent."

Re: Alternate Universe Beach Boys: What if David never quit? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 01:11 AM CDT

That is profoundly cool- a big honor, as you said.

Quadrogenarian Symphony To God, Just Now [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 01:08 AM CDT

Please pardon the personal digression- promise I'll be on topic in two sentences. Came in from a very, very rough day- got some bad news- and was pulling some easy listening discs from my large and bizarre collection to put on my Dad's computer when I go over there tomorrow.

About seven years ago- before most of you were born- my copy of disc 1 of the Pet Sounds Sessions went missing.  I thought for sure I had loaned it to my brother, who went through a divorce, moved, and still has a couple cubic acres of stuff in storage four states away. I've nagged him silly about it for years.

You can't imagine the nightmare for an undiagnosed OCD barely-competent-to-cross-the--street basket case like myself.  It's been like walking around with a pine cone in my shoe for seven years- ten percent of my life, probably. Every time I walk past the music closet I cringe.  There's the not quite-full box.  It's looking at me.  Can't buy a new copy- what will I do with my old one? Mix and match?  Then what will I do with the new one? As a result of the horror, haven't heard Pet Sounds in seven years, except in dreams that become nightmare.

Back to tonight.  For Dad, pulled my copy of the two-disc collector's edition of the OST for The Sound Of Music-  containing the infamous extended dance mix of "The Lonely Goat Herd (Disco Version)" - and out falls one of the discs.  Why?  Because there were two discs on top of each other.  The other one- you guessed it.  Another goat-related disc.

It was like the final scene of "Lassie, Come Home"- a tearful reunion, me weeping shamelessly, disc 1 licking my face and barking joyfully;  marred only by my neighbor banging on the ceiling and yelling "shut up up there!" (My response: "This is my happening and it freaks me out!").

That thing hid from me through three moves. Hearing Pet Sounds in stereo once more, right now, for the first time since my second-grader nephew was born.  I've finally decided I'm a mono guy on this one, but lots of chill-bump moments, especially in "Wouldn't It Be Nice"...

Re: BW to Make Global Announcements at Capitol Records Monday [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 01:02 AM CDT

Hmm...interesting.

For once I know absolutely nothing about this.

Honest.

Re: Dennis Wilson FEATURED in current American Airlines in flight magazine!! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 12:40 AM CDT

Agree, I say we find him and make his ass an Honored Guest!

Re: Bob Dylan Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 12:29 AM CDT

"Workingman Blues #2" is a helluva song, when I saw Dylan last year it was easily one of the highlights, I hope he keeps it in the setlist.

Re: Bob Dylan Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 17 May 2008 12:25 AM CDT

I like that he's playing alot from Modern Times - it's a good album. I hate it when artists release good albums then just tour their hits.

Re: Live in Las Vegas 1995 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 16 May 2008 10:32 PM CDT

What I meant to say was, was this the last time that Brian sang lead and had a "spotlight" during a Beach Boys concert?

Re: BW to Make Global Announcements at Capitol Records Monday [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 16 May 2008 10:27 PM CDT

Agreed its TLOS.

Wouldn't it be cool if Brian made a crack like ' Pity Capitol didn't give a s**t about our work back in 66' . Razz

Re: Bob Dylan Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 16 May 2008 10:07 PM CDT

The setlist for the first concert of Dylan's 2008 spring/summer tour:

May 16, 2008  Worcester, Massachusetts

1. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
2. Girl Of The North Country
3. Watching The River Flow
4. Can't Wait
5. The Levee's Gonna Break
6. Simple Twist Of Fate
7. Rollin' And Tumblin'
8. Tryin' To Get To Heaven
9. John Brown
10. Most Likely You Go Your Way
11. Spirit On The Water
12. Highway 61 Rivisited
13. Workingman Blues #2
14. Summer Days
15. Ballad Of A Thin man

Encore:

16. Thunder On The Mountain
17. Like A Rolling Stone

Looks like Bob traded in "Cats In The Well" and brought back "Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum". Slightly surprised that he's sticking with "Summer Days", although I love the song. A little thin on the "hits", like "Lay Lady Lay", "Tangled Up In Blue", and no "All Along The Watchtower". Still playing a lot from Modern Times - too many?. Snuck in "Trying To Get To Heaven" which I also like. Same band as the few years. Comments?   

Brian Wilson Announcement Regarding Something On Monday [Smiley Smile Dot Net]

Posted: 16 May 2008 07:46 PM CDT

Media Alert: Brian Wilson to Make Global Announcements at Capitol Records in Hollywood on Monday, May 19

May 16, 2008 11:37 AM EDT

WHO: Music legend Brian Wilson and Capitol / EMI executives

WHAT: Brian Wilson global announcements at Capitol Records in Hollywood

WHEN: Monday, May 19
10am PT (media check-in begins at 9:30am)

WHERE: Capitol Records (1750 N. Vine St., Hollywood, CA 90028)

DETAILS: Brian Wilson will be joined by Capitol / EMI executives for major
announcements at Capitol Records. Wilson will address the media
at Capitol's entrance, followed by B-roll ops with Wilson on
Capitol's rooftop, offering a stunning Los Angeles backdrop
including the 'HOLLYWOOD' sign in the hills.

* * *

* AUDIO FEED FROM SOUNDBOARD TO BE PROVIDED *
* PHOTOS AVAILABLE FOLLOWING ANNOUNCEMENTS *

To confirm coverage, please contact:
Jennifer Ballantyne - EMI Music Marketing:
(323) 871-5494 / jennifer.ballantyne@emicap.com

SOURCE Capitol/EMI

BEACH BOYS ~ PET SOUNDS REHEARSALS ~ YD 029 RARE ["beach boys"]

Posted: 16 May 2008 07:04 PM CDT

US $24.99 (1 Bid)
End Date: Saturday May-17-2008 17:04:30 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

2008 Bowman BRIAN WILSON SOTF Auto Giants AUTOGRAPH ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 16 May 2008 05:43 PM CDT

US $0.99 (1 Bid)
End Date: Saturday May-17-2008 15:43:24 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON SIGNED ALBUM ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 16 May 2008 09:20 AM CDT

US $19.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Monday May-19-2008 7:20:29 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: