Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 06 May 2008 06:58 AM CDT

Oh yeah, I agree. There was a point raised by Adamghost, I think, on this thread during the discussion of the accapellas. I can't remember the technical details but I think it boiled down to Denny's grainier texture being more attractive to the ear in the stack than Al's brighter texture. It's well worth finding anyway, it's somewhere at the half-way point.

Re: Sax on California Dreamin'? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 06 May 2008 06:21 AM CDT

Richie joined the BB Band in 1993 and left in 1998, along with Matt Jardine.

Close...he joined in '91.  I remember it clearly.  I went to the show and saw all the gold-plated hardware onstage before the band came on, and thought "Wow, a horn section?"  Turns out it was a one-man horn section.   Smiley






Re: Smiley Smile in stereo [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 06 May 2008 05:33 AM CDT

Also, in Japan, two boots were released. One was Wild Honey, the other was Smiley Smile. They were mastered from vintage 1967 duophonic (or whatever) reel to reels (which I still see from time to time for sale). Never heard them but people have raved. They come with a Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs type label.

Some one has the WILD HONEY one up for sale now. Take a look.

http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u23495881

Question For Mark, Alan, Et Al - New Hope [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 06 May 2008 05:10 AM CDT

To our wonderful guys that have re-worked the Beach Boys catalogue into such wonderful shape, are we now at last pretty close to doing away with any more mix-ups as far as releases go? I mean for the future. Such as, we know that there is a mono LP version of Fun Fun Fun, a stereo LP version, and a 45 version. These have all been mixed up in the past (heck the mono LP version was pushed as the 45 mix as late as 1999). I know that WIBN is finally safe. Just wondering about the rest.

And did you guys ever find that out take of GV from the Rarites LP? It sounds like an acetate.

Bob

Re: good vibrations alternate [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 06 May 2008 02:21 AM CDT

Am I the only one who hears both Carls on the entire thing? In verses, it's Carl, phrasing of certain words ("how she comes in so STRONG"). On chorus, it doesn't sound like Brian's unique falsetto. Carl trying to sound like Brian? Anyway, just my .02 cents.

Re: Sax on California Dreamin'? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 06 May 2008 02:21 AM CDT

Who played bass on California Dreamin'? I always thought the bass sounded very sloppy on this one.

Re: Queen [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 06 May 2008 01:21 AM CDT

I also think that Freddie Mercury's death has NOT gotten the recognition (that's not really the word I'm looking for, but you know what I mean) that other rock stars have gotten. Freddie was as good as anybody of his era. He was so young, it's really sad....

I agree,I think in many ways Queen are given a bit of a raw deal, their relationship with the press was never great anyway and since Freddies death they've had a little bit of retrospective appreciation but not enough and not in the right way.
In some ways they are thought of as a 'novelty' act (their quirky songs) and in other ways as an almost Status Quo-like run of the mill old man rock band because of Brian Mays (and Roger Taylors to a lesser extent) seeming inability to say 'no' when collaborating with high profile pop stars -Five, Robbie Williams, Brtiney Spears (on a pepsi ad with Pink and Beyonce).
I think however after the Beatles, they may be the most successful singles act in the UK having had top ten hits spanning from 1974 through to 1991 (and 1995/96 to include the stuff after Freddies death) so they should be thought of as being up there with the Beatles and with Led Zeppelin, but they have never been considered as 'cool' as those bands.
I remember when I was very young back in 86 when 'A kind of Magic' came out that they were absolutely huge, they were in the papers, on the TV, always on the radio, that seemed like their biggest album and it was one of those giants of the mid 80s (at least) along with Graceland, Brothers in Arms, So, Tango in the night, The hounds of love, Invisible Touch etc...
Freddie may have not been as blatantly political as Lennon, as 'real' as Cobain or as whatever the appeal was of Jim Morrison etc but as far as 'late' rock stars go, he's the one I think of first, as to my mind he was the 'ultimate' rock star!

BRIAN WILSON WONDERFUL 3 7" SINGLE SET COLOURS VINYLS ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 06 May 2008 01:12 AM CDT

US $13.00 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday May-08-2008 11:12:10 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON TRANSLUCENT GOLD 2 VINYL SET W/CLAPTON & + ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 06 May 2008 01:03 AM CDT

US $14.00 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday May-08-2008 11:03:05 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

NEW Inside the Music of Brian Wilson ... ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 06 May 2008 12:43 AM CDT

US $16.77
End Date: Thursday May-08-2008 22:43:01 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $16.77
Buy it now | Add to watch list

NEW Musicares-Tribute To Brian Wilson ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 06 May 2008 12:23 AM CDT

US $12.62
End Date: Thursday May-08-2008 22:23:04 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $12.62
Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: When did Dennis lose his voice? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 May 2008 11:50 PM CDT

I think that "In The Still Of The Night" was the last vocal from Dennis that could be called "very good". It's clear that a lot of damage had already been done, but it's a lot smoother than it would be within a year.
"You and I", "Rainbows" and some others on POB have far superior vocals to ITSOTN...and were recorded later.

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 May 2008 11:49 PM CDT

Plus, did I already mention that they guy who played Murry was on the 2nd episode of Seinfeld, "Male Un-Bonding". He played a Jerry's friend Joel Horneck, who Jerry tried to "break up with" because he couldn't stand the guy, but Jerry couldn't go through with it because Horneck started crying when Jerry tried to "break up" with him.

I have seen that one! Seinfeld is greatness. Not to mention that two episodes feature Wouldn't it Be Nice and California Girls.

Re: When did Dennis lose his voice? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 May 2008 10:52 PM CDT

I think that "In The Still Of The Night" was the last vocal from Dennis that could be called "very good". It's clear that a lot of damage had already been done, but it's a lot smoother than it would be within a year.

Re: When did Dennis lose his voice? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 May 2008 10:49 PM CDT

I wish that most of 1974-76 could be erased from the BB's history. By the time 15 Big Ones came out, they were almost a completely different group. So many things went very badly for them between that time.

Re: Sax on California Dreamin'? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 May 2008 10:39 PM CDT

Richie joined the BB Band in 1993 and left in 1998, along with Matt Jardine.







Re: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 May 2008 10:21 PM CDT

but his singing never makes me feel anything, whereas when Denny sings, I feel what he's singing about.

Couldn't agree more Chris. It's almost like some singers have this ability to make it feel like they are directly involving you in what they are singing about.

Re: Beach Boys History - Is It Relevant? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 May 2008 10:08 PM CDT

mikeyj, I don't think I'm making my point clear, and I have to take responsibility for that. What I'm saying is that I don't think anybody told Brian what to and what not to WRITE. I think he had complete freedom to go into the studio AT ANY TIME and record ANYTHING he wanted. Actually, I think they all would've been thrilled if he did that. I don't think there was anyone in the group/family/record company who was saying, "No Brian, you can't write that. You should be writing this". I think people were/are too afraid of Brian to do that. They might "monitor" his producing, talk him into doing another vocal take, of course write words for him, and suggest ideas/subject matter for songs. But when Brian has an idea for a song, I think everybody keeps their distance and lets him go. And that's how it should be.

Now, as far as those songs you mentioned above, not to sound SMiLE-like, but obviously HE GOT THE SONGS DONE. If you're talking about getting the songs released, that's a different animal. Brian and the Beach Boys have been getting songs and albums rejected since Sunflower! But, Brian had the idea to do these "Big band" songs, he wrote them, and he went into the studio and recorded them. Nobody said, "No, Brian, you can't do that". The record company (rightfully, in my opinion) rejected them. That's what I'm talking about when I mentioned Brian's producing being called into question. Those songs were hurtin' production-wise.

I recently read on this board that Mike Love didn't approve of the Big Band songs. I never heard that before. Not saying its not true, just never heard it. And, like I mentioned, Brian recorded them anyway.

Okay Sheriff, I see what you're saying. Sorry about the confusion!! I agree with most of what you said though. As for Mike not approving the big band songs, well I don't know what/who to believe anymore!! I do remember reading it somewhere in a book (not that that means anything), just can't remember which one.

Re: first reaction when seeing this clip [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 May 2008 10:07 PM CDT

sudden jump from SMiLE to Let The Wind Blow...no Jack Reiley...no Blondie or Ricky...no trip to Holland...no Steve Desper...Bruce Playing with them on stage in '74...Brian with his 15 Big Ones era look in 1969...Brian being portrayed as a hapless "retard" (for lack of a better term).........there's so much more I could call out.

I think some people are being a little unrealistic. I mean if you were to cover all eras of the Beach Boys up until say 1983, the movie would have to go for like 15 hours or something.

I agree, you can't expect every little thing to make it in (although the jump from Smile to "Let the Wind Blow" is pretty jarring).  That's why I really think the BB/Brian story would best be told in an HBO mini-series, similar to what they just did with the John Adams series. 

Re: Beach Boys History - Is It Relevant? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 May 2008 10:04 PM CDT

I get what you're saying Sheriff, thanks for clearing up any confusion.  You are absolutely correct in that nobody was telling Brian what to write/not to write.  I think they all held onto the hope that if Brian went into the studio, he might come out with their next huge hit.  As time went by, that possibility dwindled down to about zero, but at least up until "Love You" I'm sure they kept hoping for it.  Whenever he wanted to do something during that period, I have no doubt they were all ears, even if they ddin't necessarily like what they got.

As for the Big Band songs, I think I initially read that Mike didn't like them in the Carlin book, and it makes sense.  Stuff like "It's Over Now" and "Still I Dream of It" were pretty depressing, even by Brian's standards.  Mike probably felt that they were just more of what he liked to call Brian's "ego music".  The fact that they had zero commercial appeal probably didn't help matters either. 

Re: Sax on California Dreamin'? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 May 2008 10:00 PM CDT

Speaking of sax...

When did Richie Cannata start playing with the beach boys and when did he stop?

I know he also played with Billy Joel, how long did he play with his band?

I enjoy his playing quite a bit (saw him recently with Al Jardine's band and I also saw him with the beach boys a long time ago).  I also hear what the others are saying.  Too much sax soloing can be detrimental to a song.

Re: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 May 2008 09:56 PM CDT

Didn't we argue that Denny was actually better for the harmonies in the accapellas than Al, though Al is a better singer, at one point?

I prefer Denny's voice (before it got ruined), purely just because he's more expressive than Al. Obviously Al has a better range and is probably technically better but I just dig Denny's voice.

To be honest, Al is the one guy who I have trouble picking out in the harmonies. I don't know why but I really struggle to hear him on a lot of stuff, unless its blatantly obvious.


I prefer Denny's voice too...it has more texture to it.  More emotional I suppose...Al is a great singer (and has the best remaining BB voice by far), but his singing never makes me feel anything, whereas when Denny sings, I feel what he's singing about.

Al is tough to pick out because he can sound like everyone.  His voice just isn't that distinctive...the Wilson brothers all had their own distinct (albiet similar) sounds, and Mike had his patented bass sound.  Al was just a solid voice to add to the harmony, perfect for those sometimes difficult middle parts.

Re: Overrated artists/albums [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 05 May 2008 09:56 PM CDT

The Beach Boys, to my ears, had one--ONE--album that was as good from start to finish as the Beatles best albums: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road. And that's Pet Sounds. The other albums all have a lot of fine moments, but often as much filler. I'd take Magical Mystery Tour (which I think of as probably the Beatles worst album) over almost any Beach Boys album.

I agree that the Beatles are better as they were more consistent with less filler etc... I think one reason perhaps though is that the Beach Boys had MORE albums during those early years. Between 63-66 the Beatles had 7 studio albums, and the Beach Boys had 10 studio albums, plus a live album.

But as for great Beatles albums I would only say "Rubber Soul", "Revolver" and "Sgt. Pepper". And for the Beach Boys I would probably say "Pet Sounds" and "Today!". Okay, there is Bull Session, but who cares! The rest of that album is amazing and makes up for that one track. Besides, I'd rather not define it as an album of songs "good from start to finish". I mean what if an album has 10 good tracks but nothing more than just "good" but yet then there is an album with 8 all time great tracks and 2 absolute pieces of crap. I would say the latter is better.

THEREMIN / Brian Wilson, Leon Theremin vhs ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 05 May 2008 08:40 PM CDT

US $5.00 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday May-08-2008 18:40:09 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: