Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Let's Fight! The Ramones vs. the Sex Pistols! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 07:15 AM CDT

The first punk of all-time was Mike!!!!

His nasal, attitude-drenched early voice, sounded like some snotty, furo do burro,"punk' kid who didn't care about anything other than surfin and pickin up chicks and pounding around town in his car. He didn't  sound like anyone who had come before, and no one has sung like him since.

Other than Mike, you can't pass over Bob Dylan as bieng pretty damm punk!!!!

Otherwise, I give it to The Ramone's all the way!

Re: Beach Boys t-shirts [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 07:05 AM CDT

These are great! Have you thought about putting them up on Zazzle.com ; I'd definitely buy one.

Re: YouTube: Brian Wilson Ages Into a 'Lucky Old Sun' [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 07:02 AM CDT

Great video. Brian looks much more together than I would've expected here and seems to be enjoying himself. I do worry a bit that he keeps being pushed out there when he'd rather retire. Good for him, sounds great.

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 06:45 AM CDT

Personal thanks go out to Steven Gaines for contributing (hope he will continue to do so!). Already it's a great prompter to re-read the book.

Re: Van Dyke Parks [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 06:39 AM CDT

Song Cycle is such an utter delight and gem!

I remember being turned on to it around the time of the release of the first edition of Domenic Priore's Smile book. It was a little inaccessible at first, but
after repeated listenings cemented itself into my brain in a marvelous way.

The delicate and ethereal quality of the music and sophisticated poetry of the lyrics is captivating and appeals to both the intellect and the musical spirit of the listener.

I also particularly love Discover America, the title track of Clang of the Yankee Reaper, Jump and the Moonlighting at the Ash Grove live album.

Long live Van Dyke Parks, and thanks for being so loyal and motivational to Brian through the years, and his participation in the original composition of Smile
and the dream come true of its recent completion and release.

Lovely post. I agree with the sentiments expressed. 'Clang Of The Yankee Reaper' is one of the finest things I know... melancholy, ethereal, beautifully used synths (a rarity), and, as so often is the case with VDP, those female choruses... I think the women sing something like 'Sun In The Moon', or words to that effect, in an oriental fashion; and indeed, I saw things like this as a personal treasure for many a year. Not that anyone in high school understood anything about it, mind. All other kids were into Genesis, ELP, that kind of stuff.
Another personal favourite: 'Ode To Tobago', off of 'Discover America'. The slightly delayed female voices (again!) never fail to bring me into a somewhat orgiastic state, because they remind me of the erotic paintings of Paul Gauguin (his Tahiti period).
Since you sing his praise here so directly, allow me to chime in. Many, may thanks to mr. Van Dyke Parks for his utmost loyalty to Brian Wilson (how I wish I'd seen the London première of SMiLE... because he was there. We opted for the fourth show in 2004, at the Royal Festival Hall, because it was initially the last one, the 'finale' so to speak. But of course, we had a miraculous time nevertheless!).

Re: acoustic music??? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 06:30 AM CDT

Do you know John Fahey? An American treasure.

Re: Official TLOS Album Reviews [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 06:06 AM CDT

I hate female hair loss!

 LOL

But there's a balance to everything. No, the lyrics aren't generally the most important thing in a Beach Boys record for me, but that doesn't mean I want them to be bad. And if they have to be bad, I prefer Brian's silliness and irreverence to banal summertime and story-of-Brian fare. This album, in my opinion, is pretty bad in that regard. But that said, it's in some ways my favorite of his solo albums. I love it.

It's strange though. Most of us would agree that at the time of SMiLE we also find the lyrical content (with VDP) very an integral part of the whole project (and whether we don't have a clue what they mean of we all have a different opinion on it) and love most/all of it. And now we have VDP amongst the lyrical contributors (let alone Scott's and Brian's choice of words), and yet it doesn't seem to grab us? Did we expect more of Brian & co. this time? Do we regard TLOS too much as a final statement, his last musical/lyrical contribution ever to mankind, proving "he can still do it"? Meaning that deep inside we fear a retirement in the near future (which –thinking of it – isn't such a strange thought). Or did the fact that the album (or the concerts that started it) was announced and presented as a theme-based selection of songs set up higher expectations than usual?

Brian solo participated with co-writers such as Landy, Joe Thomas, Andy Paley, Steve Kalinich, etc. Nothing wrong with that I think, not great either, but did we really bother then? (not that I can remember, but I might've missed a few discussions in the past)
I think music and lyrics blend well together in TLOS, more than on any of his other records (SMiLE not withcounted). And I admit I mostly like TLOS for the melodies, moodchanges, emotion, etc., and less for the lyrical content. But I do like the fact that – as a whole – it does have some cohesiveness in both the music and the lyrics. Doesn't have to be an A+ on language on his (school)report for this album. We didn't do that for all the greatest hits from the early 60ies either. Music/production was near perfection at times, the lyrics described perfectly the California dream and fitted well with the music. But are we going to unravel the lyrical degree of – for example – California Girls, Fun Fun Fun, or Surfin' USA as well? I love them, don't even think of wanting to hear a single alternative lyric, don't misunderstand me on that, but I don't look for a deeper psychological / filosophical meaning of the words either, and I'm pretty sure Brian & Mike weren't thinking that either at the time (we like girls, driving is fun, the surf is up, so we write about them/it).

Can we compare California Girls to California Role? No not really I think. Different times, different musical approach, age, etc. But what I'm trying to say is that I love Brian's musical output, whether it's from the early days, his creative peak, the rare but beautiful and sometimes raw material from the (early) 70ies, or his current solowork. Lyrics were and are not the most important aspect of it. And if that's above the average I see that as a bonus. Whether the TLOS-lyrics are better or not doesn't really matter to me, although I think they do just fine, and some even better. If Brian can keep future output up to this level, I don't complain at all. And I do hope that this is not the final release of BW-music.

But that's my opinion of course.

Re: Christmas Day '77 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 04:39 AM CDT

Yeah, the song. Is it called Alone on a Christmas Day or just Christmas Day? It's stupid that they'd have two songs with the same title...

Re: Christmas Day '77 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 04:33 AM CDT

You are speaking of the session right? Alone On A Christmas Day never came out. A shame as it's very good.

Re: Official TLOS Album Reviews [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 02:50 AM CDT

My main criticism of the lyrics on TLOS is that perhaps there aren't enough laugh out loud moments. Put all my fruit in the sack, he speaks in such a manly tone. That kind of thing. Mexican Girl could have been an instrumental or a narrative backing. Too much to expect random Tourettes "Ding Dang" expletives I guess. But I don't think the lyrics are that bad, compared to some of his worst. I really like "Live Not Live" and I maintain that "California Role" is in fact taking the mickey.

That said the rock numbers are pretty nonsensical. "Morning Beat" for example - pretty much doob-doob-doob-doob-dooby-doo-doo.  Has anyone notice the similarity between the verses of this and "White Lightnin"?

Re: Where are you from? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 01:34 AM CDT

I guess Im the only Australian here?

Nup, I'm way over here in Perth, Western Australia.

Re: Christmas Day '77 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 12:53 AM CDT

i think there are some good songs on it. Glad that some were released a few years ago

Re: Official TLOS Album Reviews [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 12:40 AM CDT

Although, I must say, half the reason I like Smiley Smile, Love You, et cetera, is because of the stupid lyrics.

Speaking of stupid lyrics, though, I still haven't gotten used to the non-Arctic Tale lyrics to Live Let Live. I can't STAND them. I can't remember the lyric offhand, but that one about whale babies is so stupid. I don't care if the AT version is "preachy". The lyrics just sound so much cooler. I love "Polarization the talk of the nation" and "Are we the enemy living the memory" et cetera. The Arctic Tale version was one of my favorite songs of last summer, but the TLOS version is my least favorite song on the album. Even the music isn't as cool.

Re: TLOS on vinyl [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 12:09 AM CDT

Vocally, Brian sounds perfunctory, at best. Lyrically, it's pretty surface. I could have written better lyrics about L.A. in a second.

Okay... go.  *checks stopwatch*

I think, as happens so often in fan sites regardless of their subject, familiarity breeds contempt...  people get so used to the sort of material under discussion that the bar for acceptance gets raised unseemingly high.  As someone who hasn't immersed himself in the canon of Literature About LA to the extent it sounds like you have, I found the lyrics and readings nicely evocative.  Not revelatory, but then it doesn't need to be to be worthwhile...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 11:47 PM CDT

Thanks for the insight about the tape. Rocky sure doesn't come off good on the tape but I guess he saw the value in keeping it. It was worth what you paid, it is very compelling.

I figured Goldman was on hard drugs, he was always nervous and paranoid. There is a clip on Tom Synder interviewing him on the Tomorrow show in 1981 after his Elvis book came out. He insisted that the audience be cleared first. I always liked the anti drug stances in your Beatles and Beach Boys books. That and some of the Beach Boys documentaries helped me never go down that road.

Re: TLOS on vinyl [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 11:34 PM CDT

You seemed to like it a lot more the other day especally the vocals.

Re: Official TLOS Album Reviews [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 11:31 PM CDT

From what I've heard, I didnt think the lyrics sounded so bad, for the most part. I'll wait til I get the CD to listen more intently.

Re: Official TLOS Album Reviews [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 10:11 PM CDT

I happen to have the opinion that the lyrics throughout the TLOS album are among the best of Brian's solo career.

Re: My TLOS LP review (warning spoiler) [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 09:53 PM CDT

I think "aruba jamaica oo I wanna take ya" has more resemblence to  "eat a lot, sleep a lot, brush them like crazy" than to "que bonita muchacha"  Grin

An Oof To My Head [Smiley Smile Dot Net]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 09:08 PM CDT

Reading that Brian still plans to record a "rock and roll album" featuring "Proud Mary" is indeed an "oof" to my head.

After "That Lucky Old Sun," Wilson says the unreleased songs he recorded, including a slow, smooth version of "Proud Mary," will form another album. He gushes that "the only person I really want to work with is Paul McCartney." He would also like to record "a rock 'n' roll album inspired by Phil Spector's type records, a really hard rock album that really rocks, with big orchestration, the whole bit."

"I look forward to today," he said. "I never look forward to the future because I think to myself, 'What if there's an earthquake, what if I die or someone I love dies?' I get those kind of thoughts all the time. It's 'oof' to my head."

 blog it

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 08:53 PM CDT

Welcome Steven. I recently re-read the book too. The first Beach Boys book I ever read, bought it when I was probably 10 or so but didn't really read it for a few years after. I still enjoy it today. No questions come to my mind right away, but I will try and think of something.

Re: Official TLOS Album Reviews [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 08:48 PM CDT

But there's a balance to everything. No, the lyrics aren't generally the most important thing in a Beach Boys record for me, but that doesn't mean I want them to be bad. And if they have to be bad, I prefer Brian's silliness and irreverence to banal summertime and story-of-Brian fare. This album, in my opinion, is pretty bad in that regard. But that said, it's in some ways my favorite of his solo albums. I love it.

That Other Lucky Old Sun [Smiley Smile Dot Net]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 08:43 PM CDT

Brian Wilson isn't the only one finding the sun to be lucky.

clipped from www.gactv.com

Aug. 25, 2008 — When Kenny Chesney’s Lucky Old Sun album appears on the horizon on Oct. 14, it will have some rather familiar elements. For starters, during the first week of release, the only version available will be a Deluxe Fan Edition with four extra live tracks — quite similar in concept to the deluxe version of the Sugarland album that arrived last month. In addition, the title track will already have hit the market Sept. 2 as the centerpiece of a new album by Beach Boys founder Brian Wilson, who’s titling his project That Lucky Old Sun.

Meanwhile, the title track was a turning point for Kenny, who enlisted Willie Nelson to join him in the recording, ultimately leading to Willie employing Kenny as the producer for his album Moment Of Forever. Willie was quite familiar with the song: He’d already recorded it for two of his own albums: the 1976 release The Sound In Your Mind and his 1979 duet project with Leon Russell, One For The Road.

 blog it

NEW BRIAN WILSON That Lucky Old Sun CD +3 BONUS TRACKS! ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 08:16 PM CDT

US $13.78
End Date: Saturday Aug-30-2008 18:16:17 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $13.78
Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: Official TLOS Album Reviews [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 08:15 PM CDT

I agree with Clay. If I cared about the lyrics I wouldn't like Brian or the Beach Boys anywhere near as much. I hate the summer, I hate surfing, I hate cars, I hate female hair loss!

Re: Official TLOS Album Reviews [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 08:00 PM CDT

Brian -- I'm sorry. I totally misread your first response. (I updated my post to reflect that.)

It seems to me that the album's lyrics work best when they are very simple -- "Good Kind of Love" (with all of the words written by BW) or self-consciously poetic (Live Let Live and MAD). The ones that aim toward the middle don't always quite hit.

But I'm not particularly drawn to BB/BW music for lyrical content. Too much disappointment waits down that road. My bias has always been toward sound. Brian could have made a career singing about golf, and I still would like it. (Assuming the up-tempo golf songs were tempered by heart-rending ballads like "My Little Golfing Girl."

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 07:41 PM CDT

Hi Steven (and Surfer Joe),

It's a little intimidating to answer this particular call for participation if you're not a heavyweight (Cam Andrew Alan etc.) but in the spirit of egalitarianism
I will try to add a worthwhile interjection.

Not meant that way at all- just calling for more people to take advantage of this opportunity, which should not be blown.  This guy has not been generally available to us for 22 years and there's a lot of knowledge and insight here.

Re-reading the book right now, I'm amazed at how completely I remember it- I must have read it more than once.  Somewhere on almost every page, I can remember a sentence that's coming later in the paragraph.  But it's a very different experience in another way- in 1986 it was the first Beach Boys book I'd read. This time around I've read a dozen or so others, but none seem to compare except for maybe the Timothy White book in terms of research- who the hell else talked to Murry's brothers? Or other residents of W. 119th Street? (Relax, I'm sure someone did).  But how many people have given us much insight into Bud Wilson?

Which begs another question, and though I think it'll rate a one word answer, I'll ask it: other than Wouldn't It Be Landy, have you read any of the other things published on Brian and the band since 1986?

Re: Van Dyke Parks [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 07:03 PM CDT

Song Cycle is such an utter delight and gem!

I remember being turned on to it around the time of the release of the first edition of Domenic Priore's Smile book. It was a little inaccessible at first, but
after repeated listenings cemented itself into my brain in a marvelous way.

The delicate and ethereal quality of the music and sophisticated poetry of the lyrics is captivating and appeals to both the intellect and the musical spirit of the listener.

I also particularly love Discover America, the title track of Clang of the Yankee Reaper, Jump and the Moonlighting at the Ash Grove live album.

Long live Van Dyke Parks, and thanks for being so loyal and motivational to Brian through the years, and his participation in the original composition of Smile
and the dream come true of its recent completion and release.

Wouldn't It Be Nice JAZZ PORTRAIT OF BRIAN WILSON cd ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 11:00 PM CDT

US $1.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Sunday Aug-31-2008 21:00:00 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Brian Wilson/Van Dyke Parks-Orange Crate Art ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 09:36 PM CDT

US $8.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Sunday Aug-31-2008 19:36:23 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: