Friday, August 29, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

NEW BRIAN WILSON That Lucky Old Sun CD +3 BONUS TRACKS! ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 07:09 AM CDT

US $13.95
End Date: Monday Sep-01-2008 5:09:46 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $13.95
Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: Weezer - Red Album [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 07:00 AM CDT

they said that the next album would be recorded as soon as the end of this year
by Weezer standards a new album should be released in 2010. Maybe sooner
but I wouldn't count on it.

Re: my Best Buy CD is on its way [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 06:51 AM CDT

My recordstore in Delft also carries the CD/DVD
it isn't september 3 right?

Re: Foda Me!! Wild Honey is the best album ever!!!! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 06:30 AM CDT

Heh, it'd do well to scrape my Top Twenty. My disregard for this and Friends are so counter to this board's stance that it's been a dark, dark secret til now.

For the record, I prefer: Today!, Holland, Pet Sounds, Surf's Up, Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!), Surfer Girl, 20/20, All Summer Long, Love You, Sunflower, Little Deuce Coupe, L.A. Light, Party!, Shut Down Vol. 2, Smiley, Surfin' USA and 15 Big Ones to it. It just seems thin to me. I'm not saying there's not some great stuff on there, like "Darlin'", but most of it - I don't know - I guess I don't think much of the slice of life post-Pet Sounds Brian until the Reiley years. You're all free to call me mental now.


Well, I LOVE the album, but I can understand being put off by it's sound and stripped down-ness.

We should also, by this time, stop crediting and praising everything as BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN..... By Wild Honey, Carl and Mike were singing  lead on almost everything, you have Bruce doing celebrated organ solos, Mike writing just about all of the lyrics..... I'd say it's fair to praise Wild Honey as a Beach Boys group effort all the way!!!!! This album was created by a BAND!

Re: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 06:28 AM CDT



We get a song about how we shouldn't "sit on our ass smoking grass"; we get the Beach Boys apparently planning gang-rape on a 'little tomboy' and insisting she shave her legs; we get a song that discusses stomach pumps and enemas; and we are informed that a cigarette butt, upon hitting water, goes "psssht".


That's everything I look for in an album. Roll Eyes

Re: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 06:07 AM CDT

I'm about halfway through my journey to collect every recorded Beach Boys album, and I downloaded "Adult Child"...

GOOD... LORD.

They actually considered releasing this piece of crap?!  We get a song about how we shouldn't "sit on our ass smoking grass"; we get the Beach Boys apparently planning gang-rape on a 'little tomboy' and insisting she shave her legs; we get a song that discusses stomach pumps and enemas; and we are informed that a cigarette butt, upon hitting water, goes "psssht".

I understand that Brian was deeply into his mental illness by this point, but he's not the only one to blame - the other Beach Boys are on there too.  Kind of shocking that they would happily sing about a naked fat guy, yet they had severe reservations about "Smile."

The ultimate low-point in the Beach Boys catalog, in my opinion.  Hell with "Summer In Paradise" - this is the bottom of the barrel!


I think "CRAP" is a bit over-exaggerated. Adult Child needs more than one listen. It had to grow on me, that's for sure. Certainly not everything is up to par, but as a whole it can be enjoyable. Don't listen too often too it. Same goes for Love You for example. Typical "you love it or hate it" kinda albums.

I remember (can't quote right now) reading in Andrew Doe's Complete Guide To The Music Of The Beach Boys that he described Johnny Carson as "you'd either be shouting "MORE, MORE!", or you'd thrown the disc out of the window, it's that kind of song on that kind of album"... And I think Lazenby had that same experience when listening to the "dirty version" of Hey Little Tomboy for the first time.

Re: Foda Me!! Wild Honey is the best album ever!!!! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 05:52 AM CDT

1. Surf's Up
2. Wild Honey
3. Sunflower (plus everything that could have gone on it)
4. Pet Sounds
5. Friends

Re: TLOS is now streaming [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 05:47 AM CDT

If I said that, for the most part, it reminds me of 15 Big Ones-meets-'Brian Wilson'(88) - I wouldn't be very popular, would I?
A huge amount of effort, love, care and attention to detail has gone into the making of this album. But, and I'm a very long-standing fan, I just can't bring myself to like it.
Sometimes the hardest thing in life is just being honest.

Re: Where is the London version of Holy Man? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 05:25 AM CDT

About a month ago, I read that this particular version had been released in the UK... But I've not been able to find it yet  Huh

Re: Christmas Day '77 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 05:14 AM CDT

Which one is 'Alone on Christmas day'? Is it a recycled one or was it a new one?

Re: Be My Baby [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 04:25 AM CDT

So I've been listening to Be My Baby on loop for the past 45 minutes, and I really don't see what's so special about this song. I don't think the arrangement is very exciting, and I hate those frickin' castanets or whatever that percussive Latin sound is. The drumming is pretty cool, I guess (I can hear a few different Beach Boys songs in the drums, too).

What is it about this song that had Brian so obsessed?

Well I'm sure he likes all of it, but I have heard him say "I like the melody" in a recent interview (maybe the A&E Bio?)... but in an interview done sometime around the mid-90's he said he liked the backing vocals in the chorus... he seemed to be pretty amazed at that for some reason?... I gather he also loves Ronnie's voice as he's always seemed pretty obsessed by it.

Be My Baby [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 03:51 AM CDT

So I've been listening to Be My Baby on loop for the past 45 minutes, and I really don't see what's so special about this song. I don't think the arrangement is very exciting, and I hate those frickin' castanets or whatever that percussive Latin sound is. The drumming is pretty cool, I guess (I can hear a few different Beach Boys songs in the drums, too).

What is it about this song that had Brian so obsessed?

Re: Foda Me!! Wild Honey is the best album ever!!!! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 03:47 AM CDT

Wild Honey never really worked for me - yet!
It took me years to get into Today! (which now is among my very favorites), so I'm fairly confident that one day I'll be really appraciating WH as well. Right now, it just seems like such a transitory record to me and it sounds like they didn't really know what they wanted to do (which isn't necessarily a bad thing as far as I'm concerned).

Re: my Best Buy CD is on its way [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 02:46 AM CDT

I got an e-mail from my local record store that they got it in yesterday... Which is odd, since the official Dutch release date is September 3... But apparently, I'll have the LP as well as the CD+DVD today...

Re: The *official* Brian/BB picture thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 02:41 AM CDT

Re: Where is the London version of Holy Man? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 02:19 AM CDT

I've asked this a few times and no one's ever said anything. I thought there was supposed to be a version of Holy Man that had the guys from Queen on it. Was this ever released? If not, will it ever be released?

No idea where it is but you'd think that they could at least just put it up on iTunes or something?

Where is the London version of Holy Man? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 02:02 AM CDT

I've asked this a few times and no one's ever said anything. I thought there was supposed to be a version of Holy Man that had the guys from Queen on it. Was this ever released? If not, will it ever be released?

Re: Foda Me!! Wild Honey is the best album ever!!!! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 01:28 AM CDT

The album has some occasionally good songwriting on it, but as for me.... I just can't get into Wild Honey.  I think the reason is because production is why I like the Beach Boys.  I love music that has multiple layers to disect.  I love complexity, and I love music where you can just hear how much thought, pre-planning, and work went into it.  On Wild Honey, the production element is nearly gone (with maybe Darlin' being an exception).  Of the 1960's albums, I think its my least favorite.

On the other hand, I do enjoy Friends because I think its a time where we begin to see those production values return.

Re: Foda Me!! Wild Honey is the best album ever!!!! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 12:45 AM CDT

I would definitely jam to a good stereo version of it, but the sound is actually part of the charm to me.

My top five:

Wild Honey
Friends
Pet Sounds
Sunflower
Holland

Re: Brian's new official site has opened! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 12:20 AM CDT

Not a big fan of pages that force my browser to resize, and the new site design doesn't use space very efficiently.  Still it's aesthetically pleasing and it's nice to see such a big push for the new album.

Re: Dennis Wilson covers [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 12:18 AM CDT

And with only minimal digging (and let's be honest, no reward to the listeners), here they are. http://www.sendspace.com/file/2n0ip0

Cheers Luther.

Re: Foda Me!! Wild Honey is the best album ever!!!! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 12:13 AM CDT

In my top five along with Sunflower, Pet Sounds, Today, and All Summer Long.
I like the raw production and sound. I think it wasn't done out of sloppiness, it was done to give it an authentic rock and roll edge. I don't care about stereo on it because any mix until Friends is only interesting in mono to me. That how Brian cut it and I think he was terrific at mono mixes. Sure you can hear different things in stereo, but to really grasp Brian's total creative pallate the way his mixing talents are important to hear too.

Re: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 12:07 AM CDT

While I think songs like Sea Cruise are better then On Broadway, and Lazy Lizzie better then Lines, Adult Child works for me in a way Love You doesn't. Perhaps because as weird as many tracks are. the singing is a bit better. There are two groundbreaking songs on it. Still I Dream Of It and It's Over Now. Like The Night Was So Long and I'll Bet He's Nice on Love You they work as the kind of emotionally naked tracks that shows Brian at his best. The two highlights on Adult Child are even better because the arrangements are tasteful and break new ground.

Life is for the Living: A fun track with a great melody, Brian never wrote music like this before or since. The lyrics make this work as a pure comedy track. The vocals are crazy but fit the piece.

Hey Little Tomboy: It is a cute (if slight song). I think the talking bits are hysterical.

Deep Purple: Brian's could have sang far better a mere two years earlier, but he does sing it with passion. Another great production

H.E.L.P.: Dates from 1970 and quality wise that automatically gives it a boost. Terrific vocals, and genuine humor. Nothing earth shaking but it's well put together and truly better then Take A Load Off Your Feet.

It's Over Now: Wonderful song, Marilyn and Carl both do a nice job. Her voice is so much better on this then it was on Let's Put Our Hearts Together. One of the Beach Boys best of their post Holland era.

Everybody Wants To Live: Musically this is pretty modern for the time, the lyrics are again quite funny. Could Adult Child been the real Brian humor album. I like the deep harmony on the chorus. The vocals are notably better then Love You's.

Shortenin' Bread: Brian (and Mike) loved this song. This isn't really a great take off it, as to me it's just too juvenile. Again three years earlier the vocals may have been good enough to save it. Would like to hear the Spring version (I know this is the music from it, but the original vocals have to be better then this.

Lines: Kind of dull, nothing to really make it stand out. I like the cocaine joke made on the liners of the Brother vinyl boot. Something like "Not the kind of lines you may think". It is very Brian to write a song about everyday life he just didn't make it interesting.

On Broadway: Terrible, Al sounds awful. I think Sea Cruise, Shake Rattle and Roll, or  Come Go With Me would have been way better.

Games Two Can Play: One of my favorite Brian songs. Just sums up the casual excellence of his late sixties work. The vocals, the wry lyrics, the melody, they are all perfect in their simplicity. Just good music period.

It's Trying to Say : Not something I would list in my top 100 Beach Boys songs, but Dennis does sing it with warmth. The melody is quite nice, and it's just harmless fun.

Still I Dream of It: One of the best Beach Boys songs of any era. Brian sings this very well, and it's hard to understand why he didn't always let his new voice work for him. In other words this is the perfect pitch and key for someone with a limited range and had voiced all his late 70's work like this I would think much better of it. The lyrics are great and so real.

All in all Adult Child was my favorite post Holland group project. While it's not a great cohesive whole, there are tracks that show Brian on top form.  

Re: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Aug 2008 11:58 PM CDT

It's fair to discuss, comment on and critique the material that we know. And if that material was intended to be an album, then it's fair to critique it as an album. Plus--and I KNOW someone will correct me if I'm wrong, here--this isn't just a collection of session tapes, for example. Unless I'm mistaken, this was assembled and turned in to the label, and unreleased because it was rejected. There is a world of difference between this and, say, "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" (until its eventual assembly and release long after the fact) or other such tunes.

Mixed, mastered, banded and delivered to the record company.

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Aug 2008 11:54 PM CDT

Fred was certainly very much alive a few weeks ago. That or they've got email in heaven.  Grin

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Aug 2008 11:36 PM CDT

There also won't be any more fresh interviews with Gary Usher, Roger Christian, Mae or Irving Rovell, Audree, any of Murry's siblings, Fred Vail (?), Nik Venet...Dave Marks' parents...Shawn Love, Karen Lamm, (are any on that list living?).

Unless I have missed something I'm pretty sure Fred Vail is still alive.

Certainly hope you're right.  I was most unsure of that one, hence the question mark.
I swear I saw Vail in Billy Hinsche's doc about Dennis.

BRIAN WILSON GIANTS SIGNED 2008 ALL STAR BASEBALL ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 28 Aug 2008 09:01 PM CDT

US $9.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Tuesday Sep-02-2008 19:01:00 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Beach Boys & Brian Wilson books Wouldn't it Be Nice ect ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 28 Aug 2008 08:15 PM CDT

US $0.25 (0 Bid)
End Date: Sunday Aug-31-2008 18:15:00 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: