Monday, August 25, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

NEW BRIAN WILSON That Lucky Old Sun CD +3 BONUS TRACKS! ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 05:36 AM CDT

US $14.50
End Date: Saturday Aug-30-2008 3:36:58 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $14.50
Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: Van Dyke Parks [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 04:57 AM CDT

My favorite part about song cycle is that track 6 is "Van Dyke Parks" composed by "Public Domain" and track 7 is "Public Domain" composed by "Van Dyke Parks".

 Smiley Perhaps his next album will have as track 6 'Van Dyke Parks' composed by 'Trad Arr', and as track 7: 'Trad Arr', by 'Van Dyke Parks'?

Re: QUOTING [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 04:53 AM CDT

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 04:36 AM CDT

Speaking of Carl that 1978 Aulstralian meeting you included is facinating. Did you get a tape or transcript? In any case it provides great insight into why the Beach Boys went into a personal and creative decline.

Re: Heroes and Villains: The True Story of the Beach Boys [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 04:33 AM CDT

You know having Steven here changes my opinion. That he admits there were errors with the music really helps me see the book in a new light. The fact that he does like the music (including things like Holland) really gives him a lot more credibility in my eyes. Sure we know Brian was more active in the late sixties/early seventies and that Dennis played on more sessions then once thought, but this does give some insight to the group's up's and down's. It explains a lot about why things declined so much musically, and why relations between the group are so fragile today.

Re: The *official* Brian/BB picture thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 04:21 AM CDT

What happened to Mike's face?

Re: TLOS Bonus tracks [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 03:42 AM CDT

If you know someone in the States, perhaps they could order it for ya and send it to you.

Re: Beach Boys an american family [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 02:59 AM CDT

Yeah, I noticed a lot of the dialogue was lifted from direct quotes that I have either read in books or heard in actual interviews.

Also I read somewhere (I think on this board) about a Dennis Wilson movie that was in brief discussion stages a few years back that may have featured  John Corbett as Dennis. Ever since watching the series The Visitor (97/98) that starred . Corbett I thought that he would be the perfect choice to play Dennis Wilson (circa 1976-1983). He looks so much like him and his mannerisms are a lot like Dennis'.

I would like to see a Dennis film that maybe starts around 1976. The band is well in to their 15 Big Ones period, the musical exploration of the early 70s is dead, Dennis's songs don't really fit in with the new-old sound so he finally goes solo. All the while charting his downward spiral. Or maybe it could start during the Bambu sessions... anyways I'm getting carried away.

Re: The *official* Brian/BB picture thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 02:47 AM CDT


Mike and some kids... does anyone know who they are?

Re: BB Tribute AND Impersonation show...thoughts? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 02:43 AM CDT

This is probably the most ghastly and unpleasant thing I've seen or heard ever. Just execrable, painful and appalling. It makes my heart sink. It makes me lose my faith in humanity.

If people must pretend to be the Beach Boys, they should do it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9a000jHxqo

Forgive me for quoting myself, but did anyone check out the link I posted? I kinda thought at least one or two of you would be interested...?



I don't think they're pretending to be the Beach Boys... they're just trying to duplicate their studio arrangements.

Re: Beach Boys an american family [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 02:39 AM CDT

- when is aired here in Australia VDP's character had a different name, which threw me

Not just in Oz - after the initial broadcast, Van Dyke got them to change the name of his caricature to "Samuel". A lot of what he says are direct genuine quotes, but mostly from the mid-70s.

Re: BB Tribute AND Impersonation show...thoughts? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 02:32 AM CDT

This is probably the most ghastly and unpleasant thing I've seen or heard ever. Just execrable, painful and appalling. It makes my heart sink. It makes me lose my faith in humanity.

If people must pretend to be the Beach Boys, they should do it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9a000jHxqo

Forgive me for quoting myself, but did anyone check out the link I posted? I kinda thought at least one or two of you would be interested...?

Re: Are these songs circulating?? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 02:27 AM CDT

I did find the titles you mentioned on a few websites, but unfortunately, none of them has surfaced so far (AFAIK)

http://www.banana-and-louie.org/unreleased.html

http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/vaults.html

Dennis Wilson covers [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 02:24 AM CDT

Hello, I'm brand new to this board. Looks like the best BB related site on the net. So much info! Anyway, I haven't stopped spinning POB/Bambu. I've just got a new setup and might test it out with some Denny songs. Anyone keen on recording and posting some Dennis Wilson covers?

I'm talking anything Denny related. Any song he wrote or even if he just sang lead on a Brian penned song. I don't know where to start, maybe Baby Blue.

Re: Jan [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 02:23 AM CDT

Thanks for your post Mark. I LOVE Jan & Dean.

Re: Are these songs circulating?? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 02:10 AM CDT

And there's a clip of it on Al's website. I think it uses some of the original recording (or some other version Carl sang on).

Yep that's right. It sounds fantastic too. Of course it's cool having all of those special guests but that track was the clincher for me to say "yep, I'm definitely getting this cause of Carl."

Re: Are these songs circulating?? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 02:07 AM CDT

And there's a clip of it on Al's website. I think it uses some of the original recording (or some other version Carl sang on).

Re: TLOS Bonus tracks [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 02:05 AM CDT

Anyone know how to order from Best Buy if you live in Canada?  I got no search results for "Brian Wilson" on the Canadian   website.  It comes right up, bonus track listings and all on the US website, but it looks like they don't ship to Canada!   Angry
Any fellow Canucks have a solution?

Thanks,
Geoff

Not sure Geoff but I read someone saying that they only ship to the U.S. So being an Aussie I'm in the same boat as you unfortunately...

Re: Are these songs circulating?? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 01:50 AM CDT

A while back when I was putting together my discography, I brought up the supposed unreleased album "Cousins, Friends and Brothers" (which apparently never got past the discussion stage), and someone gave a list of songs that could potentially be on a 1982 Beach Boys album.  I'm trying to track them down; I found several from the list, but are these on boots anywhere??  Please tell me so I can hunt 'em down. :-)

* I'm A Man
* Bucks
* Children Of The Night
* Don't Fight The Sea

The person also mentioned a track called "Dancin' USA", which apparently doesn't exist - perhaps they meant "Skatetown USA"?

As far as I know, none of these are circulating. Don't Fight The Sea of course is on Al's proposed album

Re: Beach Boys an american family [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 01:11 AM CDT

Things that stood out to me...

- mike love's moustache came unglued during one scene where he argues with one of his wives... he sneakily pushes it back on
- john stamos on drums (with pony tale and fake moustache possibly) in the final scene
- bruce johnston being played by either a ken doll or a robot ... plus his mental hand clapping in the final scene
- let the wind blow was freaking awesome
- brian's mentalness was way over the top but hilarious (in that it was so comically bad  a had to laugh)
- they guy who played dennis, nick stabile, looked quite a lot like a young dennis
- mike love and murry were great look-alikes too
- when is aired here in Australia VDP's character had a different name, which threw me
- Al was insignificant
- Brian had a good drawl when speaking (Calling Marilyn "Merr-eh-lnnn")

There were lots of inaccuracies but I had fun watching the movie. You can't expect these Telemovies to be great, you have to embrace the cheesiness of it all.

Are these songs circulating?? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 12:28 AM CDT

A while back when I was putting together my discography, I brought up the supposed unreleased album "Cousins, Friends and Brothers" (which apparently never got past the discussion stage), and someone gave a list of songs that could potentially be on a 1982 Beach Boys album.  I'm trying to track them down; I found several from the list, but are these on boots anywhere??  Please tell me so I can hunt 'em down. :-)

* I'm A Man
* Bucks
* Children Of The Night
* Don't Fight The Sea

The person also mentioned a track called "Dancin' USA", which apparently doesn't exist - perhaps they meant "Skatetown USA"?

Re: BB Tribute AND Impersonation show...thoughts? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 12:22 AM CDT

Wonderful. I'd love to do something that terrible just to make people uncomfortable. When it comes to bad covers, only this is better in my experience (note: not BBs-related...just awfulness-related): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeMDvCdrtc

That's hilarious!  If that guy got picked to be lead singer, I'd hate to know what the others sound like.  I also like the way he walks around like a figure in an old video arcade game (Frogger?).  And the "organist"  . . . what a talent. Roll Eyes LOL

Re: My TLOS LP review (warning spoiler) [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 11:12 PM CDT

Mexican Girl 1.46 in. What a Mike Love sound-a-like.
The "que bonita muchacha" part? I don't think so at all.

Re: BB Tribute AND Impersonation show...thoughts? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 10:53 PM CDT

Just terrible. Really bad. I can't fault them for chutzpah though.

Also, there's a guy in the comments of the Fendertones video claiming that it's "better than the original". Wrong.

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 10:15 PM CDT

Next up- and this is a no-brainer for us to ask- you mention that Carl showed signs of some of the Wilson "issues". Would it be out of bounds to ask you to expand on that? 

I would say drug abuse would be at or near the top of the list.

M.

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 10:03 PM CDT

Fascinating reply; you've anticipated several of my next questions (though I may ask some of them anyway) and comments.  One comment I had wanted to make was that some of the younger posters on this board may not realize what a big, hairy, freaking deal the Peter Brown/Beatles book was at the time, so I think we (fans) did see you coming, and knew it might not be pretty.  I even had an argument with my high school girlfriend because she bought the Beatles book.  I'll never forget your appearance on the infamous Morton Downey Jr. show and what they did with your book there- which I'll leave to you to tell, if you recall. You kind of laughed your way through it. (You were slumming with idiots).

I am re-reading the book (H & V) now, and am not surprised at how vivid it has remained in my memory after 22 years.  It remains well-written, extremely well-researched, and extremely brutal.

Next up- and this is a no-brainer for us to ask- you mention that Carl showed signs of some of the Wilson "issues". Would it be out of bounds to ask you to expand on that? 

I won't keep saying this ad nauseum, but thanks for your participation here and for for opening up. You don't owe it to us to submit to a grilling, but we're very, very interested.

2006 Brian Wilson auto Inkredible San Fran. Giants ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 06:22 PM CDT

US $3.00 (1 Bid)
End Date: Friday Aug-29-2008 16:22:28 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

THE BEACH BOYS 2 TICKETS 8/24 HYANNIS MA CAPE COD R 10 ["beach boys"]

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 04:39 PM CDT

US $69.00 (0 Bid)
End Date: Monday Aug-25-2008 14:39:50 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

4 NEW CD'S MODERN ROCK (BEACH BOYS, BRIAN WILSON, DA) ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 07:28 AM CDT

US $6.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Friday Aug-29-2008 5:27:56 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: