Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Did he or didn't he? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 06:14 AM CDT

I think it is Todd Gold.

Re: BB Tribute AND Impersonation show...thoughts? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 06:13 AM CDT

It was all very funny until that guy started singing Don't Worry Baby.  409 wasn't very good, but that guy had a good "nasal" modern-Mike sound for the parts where it looked like they were playing at a mini-golf course

Smoked Turkey or Corned Beef, Mr. Wilson? [Smiley Smile Dot Net]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 06:03 AM CDT

What sandwich drives Brian Wilson to walk five miles a day?

BEACH BOYS star BRIAN WILSON is such a fan of the Beverly Glen Deli in Los Angeles he takes a daily five-mile hike to get a sandwich there.
The California Girls hitmaker builds up an appetite and keeps his weight down with his daily walk.
He says, "I walk five miles a day around the park and then I go. Every day I get something different. They have many kinds of sandwiches."

 blog it

Check out the entire menu.

Re: Did he or didn't he? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 06:02 AM CDT

just for fun I chose "It's him", but I really wouldn't know....

Re: Favorite Christmas albums? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 05:58 AM CDT

Re: Favorite Christmas albums? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 05:54 AM CDT

Jane Siberry: 'Child'. It's a good double set, but with some tasteful pruning, it would've made a 1-album classic.

Re: Is There A Reason Why...(SMiLE Related)? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 05:43 AM CDT

I think it was Carl's doing since he used to sequence the albums (if I remember correctly).
Also - after they went 'democratic' there was a tendency to have different members opening the albums (1969-73) -
almost in rotation!(?)

Re: Did he or didn't he? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 05:00 AM CDT

I voted "I'ts not" (sic), but after thinking about it for awhile, I'm not sure. It's hard to tell just from one post.

Did he or didn't he? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 03:49 AM CDT

Check the Brian autobiography thread out and let me know what you think.

Re: Dennis playing organ on 'Good Vibrations' [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 03:48 AM CDT

Quote
the theoretically technical players will tend to try to vary the simplicity of the part without being good enough to really send the song off in an interesting new direction.  But the people with good feel always nail it, even if they're on an unfamiliar instrument.

Hey Adam!  Glad to hear affirmation from the leader of a great working band. I hope the rest of your tour is a lot of fun and  I'm looking forward to your next  gig back here in the West Coast Southland. 

 
Quote
The drummer I called up tonight only had to play a solid beat for four minutes, but he sped up, slowed down, inserted breakdowns that didn't need to be there, made off-time bass drum patterns, and I'm sure he thought he was helping. 
 

Sounds like Thelonius Monk on piano.  You might take a cue from Miles who frequently sat in with Monk at the Five Spot and elsewhere.   A soloist who listened  to Monk's rhythm support could get lost quickly (even if his name was Coltrane).   On at least one of these occasions, when it was Miles turn to solo, he turned to Monk and said in his (permanantly raspier than Dennis's) voice: "Lay Out, MF'er, lay out!"     

Re: HDCD-encoded versions - how are they? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 03:29 AM CDT

I'll have to give it another listen!
Some other good HDCD discs are the Doors and the Grateful Dead - if you like that sort of thing.

Re: Olympics [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 03:29 AM CDT

Is his last name really Bolt? That's funny.

Re: TLOS on vinyl-amazon.com review [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 03:23 AM CDT

Here is a review I wrote for amazon.com. It's more general then anything I would write here, but my thoughts are pretty much there. I gave it four out of five stars. One thing I should mention that I didn't in the review is that Brian really articulates his vocals quite well. He seems into the recording process alert.

First off I a big LP fan so I must comment my joy on this being released on this format first. The gatefold cover is wonderful, the special label very in tune with the rest of the artwork. The pressing is fairly quiet and the sound just jumps out at you.

Brian's production is spot on which it has been ever since he started using acoustic instruments again. The songs are well writen, better then most of his solo albums, but outside of "Midnights Another Day" cannot be directly compared to his work of 1961-72. Overall the LP is kind of theatrical, a modern rock oprea. I can honestly see this being done as a play, though like the reworkings of the Who's "Tommy" a lot of the guts would probably be lost. The spoken narrative doesn't seem needed as the songs flow nicely. Brian's voice can never recapture the beauty it had when he was in his twenties, but he seems to be able to use it's reduced range with skill now. Brian's had a great solo band since he begain to tour as a solo act and it's nice to hear him do new material with them. Scott Bennett's work holds up well against the work supplied by long time Wilson co-author Van Dyke Parks. All and all Lucky Old Sun will strongly appeal to those who enjoy Brian's work, but it remains to be seen whether it can win him new fans. With today's market more open to classic acts I think he's got a shot.

Re: Dennis playing organ on 'Good Vibrations' [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 02:29 AM CDT

You know, Adam, that sounds pretty cool (re, you calling up people from the audience) and now I'm even more bummed I can't make it to your gig in NYC next Friday.

Re: Dennis playing organ on 'Good Vibrations' [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 01:41 AM CDT

Amen!

Better than I could have ever put it!
[/quote]

Re: Dennis playing organ on 'Good Vibrations' [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 01:39 AM CDT

True, but the Beach Boys were primarily a vocal group. Their individual voices were just as important as the drums/bass/guitars were to The Beatles. Just because they didn't play on everything or write everything, they still sang on most everything and their voices need to be respected as being a singular insturment and the heart of what the Beach Boys are!

Re: Dennis playing organ on 'Good Vibrations' [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 01:39 AM CDT

You know this has got me thinking.  I've been on tour now for about 3 1/2 weeks and I've made a habit of calling up some of the musicians in the audience to play on a few songs.  The parts are really simple, but add so much if done properly.  I can teach them to someone in ten minutes or less and it's been fascinating to me to see who can cut it and who can't.  The drummer I called up tonight only had to play a solid beat for four minutes, but he sped up, slowed down, inserted breakdowns that didn't need to be there, made off-time bass drum patterns, and I'm sure he thought he was helping.  The two other guys were a bass player on guitar and a guitar player playing percussion and keyboard.  They both kept it simple, sat out when in doubt, and were great.  And that's often been the case...the theoretically technical players will tend to try to vary the simplicity of the part without being good enough to really send the song off in an interesting new direction.  But the people with good feel always nail it, even if they're on an unfamiliar instrument.

That's what I think about when we're talking about Dennis on the organ.  You either know, or you don't.  It's not really about chops.  I'll give Dennis the props for it, alright.  I guarantee you, based on showing the same simple parts to at least a dozen people on this tour, there are plenty of people who could have fodaed up that simple three chord progression.

Re: Hawthorne CA [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 01:38 AM CDT

Is this album out of print? Was just ordering CDs and I noticed the only one available was a Japanese import(with two extra songs.) It wasnt TOO pricey, but twice as much as Lucky Old Sun.

Re: YouTube: Brian Wilson Ages Into a 'Lucky Old Sun' [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 01:29 AM CDT

Brian in that video seems so much like 70s Brian. It's cool to see him playing piano again.

Re: Dennis playing organ on 'Good Vibrations' [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 01:25 AM CDT

Yes, yes, I do need to calm down. I just hate how messy the whole Beach Boys credit/talent BS can get. I wish they were all respected just as the Beatles are.....
Well, the thing is, on 95% of the recordings, John played rhythm guitar, George played lead, Paul played bass, and Ringo played drums. There's hardly any equivalent Beach Boys songs. There's a lot of Beach Boys bass players I respect, or maybe only a few, but I don't know WHO THEY ARE!

Re: Dennis playing organ on 'Good Vibrations' [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 01:14 AM CDT

Yes, yes, I do need to calm down. I just hate how messy the whole Beach Boys credit/talent BS can get. I wish they were all respected just as the Beatles are..... In fact, I think Paul and Ringo should get together with Brian, Mike, Bruce, and Al and form The "Beatle-Boys" and go on tour playing Beach Boys/Beatles songs with Paul and Brian swapping bass and keyboards, Ringo drumming and Mike and Bruce being Mike and Bruce......

See the fantasy world I live in?

Re: BB Tribute AND Impersonation show...thoughts? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 01:02 AM CDT

They suck! Don't Worry Baby sounds like the Long Beach '81 version. I know you said to watch the entire video, but I couldn't stand it! I was able to put up with four minutes of that crap before I turned it off. Oh my goodness, wow. The concept is interesting, but the execution is so so so so SO bad.
I happened upon this video on YouTube and thought it was pretty amusing!  Particularly the footage from Walmart.  The guy is talented at doing other impersonations though.  He does a mean Johnny Carson.  But as for impersonating Mike Love, well...

Re: BB Tribute AND Impersonation show...thoughts? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 12:59 AM CDT

They suck! Don't Worry Baby sounds like the Long Beach '81 version. I know you said to watch the entire video, but I couldn't stand it! I was able to put up with four minutes of that crap before I turned it off. Oh my goodness, wow. The concept is interesting, but the execution is so so so so SO bad.

Re: Every original-material Beach Boys album - any missing? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 12:52 AM CDT

Good call. I have a vague recollection that 'Shut Down' has Robert Mitchum with 'Ballad Of Thunder Road' on it, is that true?

Sounds good to me- I know it was a bunch of car songs- haven't seen it in years.  Can't even recall if I have it!  I do have the Mitchum track on several car-song compilations (I could probably reproduce the Shut Down sequencing, if I knew what the songs were) and I also have Mitchum's immortal classic album Calypso Is Like So!

I like the Flame songs.  I think they had a cool sound.

Remember The Zoo is just not a Beach Boys album, period, released or otherwise. It's just a discarded title. Andrew was trying to dispel that hoax, not perpetuate it.

Here's a brand new Beach Boys hoax for everyone to enjoy.  I'll come up with it on the spot, and we'll see how hard it dies.  In 1968, the Beach Boys were working on an album tentatively titled Up Against The Wall, Whitey!  Songs and Stories of the Black Power Movement.  Track listing: "Shortenin' Bread"; "I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me, Part 1" (lead: Al); "The Lonely Goatherd" (featuring sound effects flown in from the Watts riot); "How's About Some Of Your Sweet Lovin'"; "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again"; "It's A Man's Man's Man's Man's World" (lead: Al, NOT the James Brown song of that title); "The Elusive Butterfly Of Love" (Manson vocal); "The Funky Drummer" (lead: Bruce); "Rainbow Eyes" (track from original SMiLE version, new vocal by Rocky Pamplin); Suite: "Ballad Of The Green Berets"/"Student Demonstration Time"/"Hey Little Tomboy", "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" (Maya Angelou poem read by Mike); "Teeter Totter Love".  The last track supposedly featured the sounds of Dennis socking it to both Frankie and Annette, which led to its eventual shelving. Evolved into the Fred Vail Country album.

Possibility of release: intriguing, but unlikely.
Right, exactly. Now, if you managed to get this in a Beach Boys newsletter, I guess that's official enough for Andrew to put on his site to decry and official enough for TheLazenby to reconstruct on youtube and put on all his official lists. Right?

wrong. I wish people would just forget the Zoo.

Re: Revelation! Live Let Live - Van Dyke Parks Lyrics [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 12:41 AM CDT

Me too, for what it's worth.

Re: Revelation! Live Let Live - Van Dyke Parks Lyrics [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 12:32 AM CDT

Whatever, even if Van Dyke wrote the lyrics to the TLOS version, too, I still like the Arctic Tale lyrics better.

Good Vibrations: 40th Anniversary - Beach Boys (The)... ["beach boys"]

Posted: 20 Aug 2008 07:12 PM CDT

US $0.01 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Aug-21-2008 17:12:50 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Beach Boys Concert Tickets-Hampton Beach, NH 8/21/08 ["beach boys"]

Posted: 20 Aug 2008 02:45 PM CDT

US $50.00 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Aug-21-2008 6:44:54 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $80.00
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

1 CENT CD: Brian Wilson 'I Just Wasn't Made' 1995 ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 20 Aug 2008 12:52 PM CDT

US $0.01 (0 Bid)
End Date: Monday Aug-25-2008 10:52:41 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: