Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Where's Al's album?? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 16 Aug 2008 05:29 AM CDT

Did I say I knew ?

Do you? You haven't denied it either...  Grin

Re: Where's Al's album?? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 16 Aug 2008 04:03 AM CDT

I wonder if all the "real easons" are the same?

Re: Really Really Weird video [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 16 Aug 2008 01:19 AM CDT

Just wanted to let everyone know that there's a remix contest for this song... The grand prize winner gets one of the instruments I used on the song -- a circuit-bent Casio SK-1! Smiley



Here's the contest info:

http://www.simplecarnival.com/contest.php

Enjoy!

Re: Really Really Weird Remix Contest (win a Casio SK-1 sampler) [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 16 Aug 2008 01:16 AM CDT

And now the contest remix tracks are officially online (scroll to the bottom to download the tracks):

http://www.simplecarnival.com/contest.php

There's a description of how the tracks are pieced together on Songs and Sonics:

http://songsandsonics.com/2008/08/15/really-really-weird-remix-contest-its-here/

Enjoy!

Re: Where's Al's album?? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 16 Aug 2008 12:49 AM CDT

Touche.

Re: Brian and Curt Boettcher [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 11:41 PM CDT

Not to my knowledge. Plays organ on one track, but AFAIK that's his sole contribution.

Re: Where's Al's album?? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 11:40 PM CDT

Does anybody REALLY know why Al no longer continued on BW's tour?


Yes.  Wink

AGD, please stop dangling the 'inside scoops" to us non-insiders.  I had an 'insider'friend of Al email me the reason but I can't share it because it would violate his trust.  But I don't go posting that I 'know'  and leave it at that

My advice is to put up or shut up; and not tease us on the board with info you won't share.

As always, posted with the greatest respect to my favorite BB scholar :-)  I always enjoy your posts!!!!!!!!!

Did I say I knew ? Alan knows why, and I presume Brian knows why.  Grin

(20) 2008 Topps #397 BRIAN WILSON ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 07:44 PM CDT

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Monday Aug-18-2008 17:44:44 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: 'A World Of Peace Must Come' - it does! In September [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 07:22 PM CDT

Is the vinyl product still in the lobbying stages?
Yes here is the email including his address so anyone who wants to encourage it can.
From: matt@lightintheattic.net
To: edermike@msn.com
Subject: Re: A World of Peace Must Come

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the email.
We're still planning it out. Hopefully there will be vinyl, as I'd love to make it happen.
All the best,
Matt.

irish rock fans unite [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 07:20 PM CDT

Any Irish rock fans out there? Lovers of Them, Thin Lizzy, the Virgin Prunes, U2, the Pogues, Sinnead O'Connor, the Cranberries, et al?

I just saw the film Once, with Glen Hansard of the Frames. I was absolutely floored by the performances.

Re: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 07:16 PM CDT

Ernie Freeman's guys . . . Earle Palmer and Plas Johnson . . . great stuff.

Central Avenue jazz, jump blues and R&B brought to the mainstream. It doesn't get any better.

Re: Brian and Curt Boettcher [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 07:11 PM CDT

This is a great topic that I'm going to revive for kicks.

I just picked up the Curt "California Music" CD from Poptones that was released a few years ago (they also did the Gary Usher "Symphonic Tribute" to Brian release). Brian is credited as one of the list of the producers inside (along with Usher, Melcher and Johnston).

But I'm only aware of him working on the WDFFIL cover (which oddly isn't on the release) and Jamaica Farewell. Did he actually have a hand in anything else that's on the CD?

Re: 'A World Of Peace Must Come' - it does! In September [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 07:06 PM CDT

I heard the "America I Know You" track and while it's not a lost classic, it is an interesting production and much different than anything else Brian was doing around that time. It is both orchestral and pastoral, a very relaxed song that has a little bit of an ethereal feel. Actually, it kind of reminds me of something Van Dyke Parks could have done. It is not really pop in any way, though. It will be really interesting to hear what other styles are explored on the whole album.

Re: 'A World Of Peace Must Come' - it does! In September [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 06:44 PM CDT

This is very exciting news! Sounds like it was conceived and recorded under inspired and spontaneous circumstances in the idealistic and utopian spirit
of the era and may be imbued with that unmistakable and palpable enthusiasm and innocent feel heard in "Little Bird" and "Be Still" (at least as far as the two Dennis tracks are concerned).

This kind of "vibe" is needed more than ever today, and if one of Brian's favorite songs is on it that alone is enough to generate GREAT anticipation!

New Recording Posted: "Matins" [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 06:32 PM CDT

I posted a new recording of a partly newly written song, "Matins." It's kind of an oddball song, weird combinations of chords and sounds. But I've liked it since its first incarnation back around 2002 or 2003, and I like it even more now. Hopefully someone else out there finds a little enjoyment from it. It's at myspace.com/thebeaumondes. Feel free to (freely) download it from there, if you'd like.

Re: The Alan Boyd Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 06:24 PM CDT

Hi,

This is my inaugural post so hello to everyone in the BB community.

Like everyone, I am curious about the additional lyrics to "'Til I Die" that are known to exist, but unfortunately it would probably be a breach of protocol to
post them here even if Alan knows them (don't mean to put words in his mouth, feel free to refute me if necessary).

Hopefully all true fans will get to hear them some day, in written or (oh joy!) musical form.

Re: Where's Al's album?? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 04:55 PM CDT

Does anybody REALLY know why Al no longer continued on BW's tour?


Yes.  Wink

AGD, please stop dangling the 'inside scoops" to us non-insiders.  I had an 'insider'friend of Al email me the reason but I can't share it because it would violate his trust.  But I don't go posting that I 'know'  and leave it at that

My advice is to put up or shut up; and not tease us on the board with info you won't share.

As always, posted with the greatest respect to my favorite BB scholar :-)  I always enjoy your posts!!!!!!!!!

Re: Lost Concert dvd [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 04:06 PM CDT

March 14th, 1964, NBC studios in Burbank.

Re: If you could bring a dead rock star back to life [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 04:05 PM CDT

brian wilson

Re: If you could bring a dead rock star back to life [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 02:47 PM CDT

Roy Orbison.  Cool

Re: Where's Al's album?? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 02:45 PM CDT

In answer to the title of the topic...

"Waiting for a bus"

Sorry, had to be said...   LOL

Re: If you could bring a dead rock star back to life [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 02:29 PM CDT

Elvis... but wait, he isn't dead, is he?  Cheesy

I would love to see a Carl Perkins concert, too and Hank Williams

Re: The Little Girl I Once Knew [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 02:20 PM CDT

That passage is also quoted in a 2001 book, The Beatles As Musicians: The Quarry Men Through Rubber Soul by Walter Everett - there is a note, but the online version on Googlebooks omits that page of notes. Naturally.

For them as needs to know, it's note 2 on page 276.

Re: The Little Girl I Once Knew [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 02:05 PM CDT

I was just wondering if someone could help me by telling me where this John Lennon quote comes from?

Taken from page 218 of Inside The Music Of Brian Wilson:

"This is the greatest! Turn it up, turn it right up. It's GOT to be a hit. It's the greatest record I've heard for weeks. It's fantastic. I hope it will be a hit. It's all Brian Wilson. He just uses the voices as instruments. He never tours or does anything. He just sits at home thinking up fantastic arrangements out of his head. Doesn't even read music. You keep waiting for the fabulous breaks. Great arrangement. It goes on and on with all different things. I hope it's a hit so I can hear it all the time."
This comes from Lennon's appearance on one of those UK "rate a record" TV shows in '65...They played new releases and had celebs "grade" them...I think it was Juke Box Jury.
Are you sure about this? All the Beatle books I have say their last appearance on JBJ was summer '64...

Re: The Little Girl I Once Knew [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 01:59 PM CDT

Nice to know Lennon liked this track!

Live Aid (2004, DVD) box set u2 bowie beach boys ["beach boys"]

Posted: 13 Aug 2008 09:11 PM CDT

US $5.55 (2 Bids)
End Date: Saturday Aug-16-2008 19:11:04 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Reyn Spooner The Beach Boys 100% Spun Rayon Shirt Large ["beach boys"]

Posted: 13 Aug 2008 09:09 PM CDT

US $37.30 (4 Bids)
End Date: Saturday Aug-16-2008 19:09:47 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: