Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Beach Boys references [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 07:03 AM CDT

There's an album by Austrian sound artist Fennesz entitled Endless Summer. Though he's always claimed that the title came from the sixties surf movie instead of the BB's world famous hit compilation, the BW influence is all over the place and around the same time he did a cover version of Don't Talk (which sounds like a different piece of music altogether but preserves much of the original's structure and spirit - he did the same with the Rolling Stones' Paint It Black).

Re: Compression and Clipping on TLOS - is it that bad? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 06:39 AM CDT



(above) Midnight's Another Day....very nice

(below) Going Home. I said all along I preferred the live rendition. Maybe this is why?

Re: Compression and Clipping on TLOS - is it that bad? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 06:22 AM CDT



California Role.




Morning Beat.

BTW those are from the 192kbps mp3 rip that I have. Might try to do the LP later to compare. I feel those are two quite different tracks. California Role should have lots of dynamics, whereas Morning Beat should be less dynamic...but moreso than the Metallica track above (which must be unlistenable). OK I know this is an mp3 rip, but the dynamics, whilst not the best, are OK.

Re: Smiley Smile was a joke. [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 06:08 AM CDT

So, what made them so cooperative on Smiley?  I mean, they do seem to be enjoying themselves on that one; what changed their minds?

I don't know, but whatever it was also caused them to giggle uncontrollably throughout the sessions and lie around on the floor.

Two words for you: Swedish Frog. Smile era.

Re: Beach Boys references [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 05:21 AM CDT

In 1964 The Osmonds did a surf-inspired version of Mr. Sandman produced by Terry Melcher (MGM K-13281)
The intro was a steal from I Get Around: Instead of:
Round round get around I get aound, get around round round I get around
they went
Sandman sandman bring me a dream prettiest girl I've ever seen.

Re: Beach Boys references [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 04:22 AM CDT

"Remember" by Air uses a sample of the drums on the intro of "Do It Again".

Re: Compression and Clipping on TLOS - is it that bad? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 03:57 AM CDT

I tried to post a picture, but always got an error message: "The upload folder is full".

Re: Has anyone met Brian Wilson? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 03:17 AM CDT

At the RFH, the photo passes came with the stipulation that you were only allowed to take shots during the first four or five songs.

Wonder if it was the same for the later tour? A shame because Brian visibly became more comfy as the concert progressed.

Maybe he got more comfy because the lensmen left him alone? !!

At the time it struck me as disrespectful. Here is a true legend in modern music, presenting a suite we thought we'd never hear and which was widely regarded as his greatest ever work...and the damned press bog off after 20 minutes, and before he's even got to said magnum opus...

Re: Compression and Clipping on TLOS - is it that bad? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 03:11 AM CDT

I wish somebody would do a simple screendump from a program like Audacity to compare the different cd editions - and perhaps the vinyl too?



The above is a track on the new Metallica album - loud and compressed. No dynamics - apart from the intro!

The better (or more revealing) your hifi set-up the worse it will probably sound.

Re: Beach Boys references [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 02:10 AM CDT

"Mr Wilson" by John Cale

I believe you Mr Wilson
I believe the things you say
And I'm always thinking of you
When I hear your music play

And you know it's true
That Wales is not like California in any way
And when I listen to your music
You're still thousands of miles away

Take your mixes not your mixture
Add some music to our day
Don't believe the things they tell you
Don't let them get in your way

And you know that it's true
Wales is not like California in any way
And everytime I hear hear your music
You're still thousands of miles away

Re: Has anyone met Brian Wilson? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 01:35 AM CDT

From The Other Anonymous:

Hey GLarson432. Any memory of the 65 BB meeting?

Maybe not many of us around at the time. Other posters early 60s Beach Boys memories would be appreciated.

My memories of that day are fleeting for the most part.  I was 16 and had just gotten my drivers license about two months earlier.  I went to the airport in Tulsa, OK with the idea of checking flights from nearby cities that it was likely the band was flying in from (Kansas City, OKC, St. Louis Dallas primarily).  I spent about 90 mins going from gate to gate with no luck.  Finally, checking a 1:25 or 1: 30 flight I was headed down some concourse for an incoming and there they were!!  The flight had come in early.

I remember thinkng I didn't want to come across like a 13 year old female Tiget Beat reader although that was exactly how I felt.  At this time in their career there were no chauffeurs, limos or any other such things.  There was also no manager or Murry so it was just the five of them.  There were pre-arranged rental car and motel accomadations in place I learned when I finally mustered up the courage to interject myself into their world.  All were milling around the Avis counter while one of them ( have no idea who) was taking care of business with the car rental.

The car turned out to be a station wagon.  White.  They had their own personal luggage, guitars and preamps (I think) but that was all.  It was minimal whatever it was but enough for something larger than one car.  During this discussion I learned that they were set to stay at the Trade Winds West in the Brookside area of Tulsa. They had no idea where that was or how to get there but I knew it like tha back of my hand.  I offered up the idea that they could follow me and that was fine with them.  So after arranging a spot to 'hook up' we were on the way.  It was about a 13 mile, mostly Interstate, drive to the motel.

What is the most memorable thing about this whole encounter is this.  Dennis was the driver of their white station wagon.  He drove the entire 13 or so miles with his arms crossed across the steering wheel.  Imagine crossing your arms in front of your chest and then reaching up and driving a car in that position.  Left had at two o'clock and right hand at ten oçlock.  He was hunched over the steering wheel like that for the entire trip to where they were staying.  It blew me away to keep looking in my rearview mirror and seeing that!

I was invited to come back later that afternoon which I did.  To the best of my memory there were three band members that were in/or around the swimming pool (although for the life of me I couldn't tell you who).  I've thought of  trying hypnosis to try to bring some of these memories back in better focus but that will probably never happen.  I was 16 then and nearly 60 now. so what does it really matter at this point (rhetorical...don't try to answer).  But that's my story of when I first met the Beach Boys!

Re: my sunshine pop band, live [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 01:20 AM CDT

 Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Our biggest influences include the Association, Harpers Bizarre, Spanky and Our Gang, Rotary Connection, and the Love Generation, so earlier this evening I sent an e-mail to a list of recipients which included one member of each of those groups, making them aware of the videos as a way of thanking them for their fantastic music and everlasting influence.  That felt very groovy to do

 Brian's Trip

Re: Beach Boys references [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 12:46 AM CDT

From Surfer Joe...

"Shannon" and Mike's "Checkers" would form the basis of a concept album about the deaths of the Beach Boys' dogs.  Can anyone come up with musical eulogies for Banana or Louie. 

Sure.  "Louie, Louie bo boulie, Fanana fana fo foulie, me mi mo moulie...Louie.

The good readers of this site can go ahead and do Banana on their own.  Thank you (the husband of) Shirley Ellis!

Re: #1 Hit Singles [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 12:32 AM CDT

It was actually 4 songs, Zack, but your point is well taken.

A review of my Joel Whitburn book shows that Proud Mary hit the Billboard charts on 2-28-69.  Dizzy (Tommy Roe) held the #1 spot for 4 weeks beginning 3-15-69 and that was followed by Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In (for 6 weeks) beginning 4-12.

Bad Moon Rising charted on 5-17.  In The Year 2525 was #1 for 6 weeks beginning 7-12.

Green River charted on 8-17.  Sugar, Sugar was at the top of the charts for 4 weeks as of 9-20.

Lastly, Travelin' Band/Who'll Stop The Rain officially appeared on Billboard on 2-7-70.  Bridge Over Troubled Water began a 6 week stint at #1 on 2-28 followed by 2 weeks at the top spot (4-11) of Let It Be.

Wrong place, wrong time.

Re: Smiley Smile was a joke. [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 12:17 AM CDT

These are all great points and great reading. I think there was more of an effort made this time around, because there was a lot of fear at the time I believe. This was an in-between time for the band. That is, after the non-stop success that Brian had led them to (which was essentially, gone forever by then -- even if they didn't yet know it) and prior to the other individuals in the band blossoming into writers/producers and taking charge of the band at various points.

I think they knew that Brian was in trouble. And if Brian was in trouble, they probably thought they were all in trouble. The music on the radio had changed, and it was essentially outside of their realm. As everyone knows, I am not a fan of the album (although I respect those who are), and I think that it was a desperate attempt to capitalize on the success of Good Vibrations.

Just my .02....

Re: My SMiLE tracklist (oldies but goodies!) [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 12:07 AM CDT

Outstanding idea - well done.  Smiley

Re: Has anyone met Brian Wilson? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 12:05 AM CDT

At the RFH, the photo passes came with the stipulation that you were only allowed to take shots during the first four or five songs.

Re: Wild Honey [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 12:02 AM CDT

2000 ain't that bad. Certainly I don't have to adjust my settings too much.

Re: Compression and Clipping on TLOS - is it that bad? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 11:58 PM CDT

I finally got my copy yesterday(made in EU if there's a difference.) It really doesnt sound bad to me at all. It sounds fairly modern, but it doesn't hurt my ears the way my Platinum Collection Sounds of Summer does. I thought it sounded really nice.

2-10 HOLLYWOOD BOWL BRIAN WILSON FIREWORKS TICKETS ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 11:51 PM CDT

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Sep-13-2008 15:51:27 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $78.00
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: My SMiLE tracklist (oldies but goodies!) [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 11:15 PM CDT

I wouldn't mind having a CD copy of that.  Wink

Brian Wilson Tickets-Saturday 9-13 Hollywood Bowl ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 07:11 PM CDT

US $35.00 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Sep-13-2008 17:11:27 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $72.00
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

2-10 HOLLYWOOD BOWL BRIAN WILSON FIREWORKS TICKETS ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 01:58 PM CDT

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Sep-13-2008 11:58:30 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $78.00
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

2-10 HOLLYWOOD BOWL BRIAN WILSON FIREWORKS TICKETS ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 01:04 PM CDT

US $8.55 (3 Bids)
End Date: Saturday Sep-13-2008 11:04:20 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: