Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: TLOS: any comments from Mike, Al or Bruce yet? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 06:30 AM CDT

They are all post-Dylan, I reckon, even BNL.(haven't heard that much of them. My Canadian boss loves 'em.)



I don't find Jack Reilly all that great, though, certainly not on a par with Dylan--though definitely influenced by him. I think you don't get more embarrassing than Feel Flows, though I like Trader.

 Even Dylan himself, sometimes, is not as good as Dylan, though.

Hushabye [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 01:57 AM CDT

I've been recording some songs up at my friend's studio...all covers.  I'm not the best singer in the world, maybe not even in the 50th percentile, but I love to sing and record!  One of these days I'll take a voice class to learn to sing better.

Here's my attempt at Hushabye at 2 in the morning a few weeks ago...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ftceap

Be kind.  Smiley

Re: Spoon [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 01:43 AM CDT

You guys are all hilarious!  Cheesy

Anyway, I listened to the song on Rhapsody...while it doesn't sound EXACTLY like the chorus in Nighttime, it is pretty close, and I probably would have been reminded of it even if no one had told me what to listen for...good find!

Re: Kings of Leon [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 01:09 AM CDT

Never got into them but I was bored and randomly downloaded their newest album "Only by the Night" and although the majority of the album is good, I can't say enough good things about the song "17" its been on repeat for a day and a half. It's just so good. When I talked to a friend about this album she pointed out that her favorite song was "17" as well, and she has impeccable taste in music...so you know we're right!

Check it out, I really dig the album, but the standout tracks REALLY stand out...

Re: Is anyone going to the Chicago show? Just listed on BW.com [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 12:30 AM CDT

The presale starts at 10 am on 9/26 and the password is lucky!!!!  I've been trying to get a little meet up going with some of the "folks" on BW.com, but I just can't work with those people!!!! Too sarcastic or something.

Ever think maybe it's because....they don't know you??? At all??? I (sadly) frequent the bluebir--'scuse me, blueboard--for news, info, to correct the ignorant, and to have Andrew Doe correct my own ignorance, and I've seen your plight, but i must be honest and say that I don't recognize you.

Having said that, have I ever met up with people I've chatted with online?? All the time.

I've met up with both GoofyJeff and the McCabes. And you know what? It was after several years of interacting with them, getting to know them in other capacities, trading tapes, etc., before I felt comfortable enough to get together with them in person. Ditto Dan Addington (who I wish would stop in to this board!); in fact, by a coincidence, we both ended up moving into apartments that are two blocks away from each other after we had been good friends for eight years. But my wife and I didn't get together with him until after we got a feel for him, his reputation, etc.

And you really want to get together with some of the....crowd...at Brian's board?? A crowd that has included Melinda practically putting a restraining order on a former user? (Won't say who it was, but just to give you an idea of one of the things this person did, she claimed that either her or her mother -- she doesn't remember -- took the picture of Brian that's on the back of the Holland album -- in 1963. This person also claimed to have dated Brian at one time and that he wrote a certain song about her -- a song that 1) his name isn't in the credits for ecause 2) it was not only a song the Beach Boys covered, but 3) the Beach Boys did it as a cover of a cover. In fact, this woman was so obnoxious that one of the metro area's major radio station's talk show host's was talking about how this woman ruined an otherwise great Pet Sounds concert.

Then you have a certain couple there who seem to follow Brian everywhere and who think that absolutely nothing the man could ever do could ever possibly not be the most brilliant thing in the world. One of the band members was doing a Q&A session at a friend-of-a-friend's house, and they actually managed to get in on it, and while most of the crowd asked really interesting questions ("Is it true that you guys are singing 'sue it again' at the end of 'Do It Again'? No? Well, then, what ARE you singing?", "Why did Brian vote against Al performing concerts, essentially cutting off their income?", "Tell me the story about such'n'such a song off your latest album," "What's going to be included in the Smile concerts?" etc.), these two were constantly "contributing" "questions" like "I'd just like to say that I think it's wonderful that you and Brian are touring. He's so wonderful." -- on more than one occasion. On more than two occasions. ON MORE THAN THREE OCCASIONS....ughgh..... I'd love to know the questions that didn't get asked because of that.

And another common poster there has quite the opposite reputation as he or she thinks he or she has, and that comes directly from a certain [past or present] band member [which may or not be Brian himself].

I can say no more.

Other than that, I can see no reason that people would be so cautious about people they socialize with.

Re: The Wilson Brothers picture thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 12:29 AM CDT




























With Nick Venet


Need a haircut?





With Sir Paul McCartney





Re: Classic Albums: The Doors [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 12:12 AM CDT

I don't think you could do a show on Pet Sounds, because that album has been talked about to death.

On a couple of other BB/BW-related message boards, a guy named Ebb has done a series of videos for the Pet Sounds' songs called Behind The Sounds. Have you seen it Heywood? It's quite impressive. He plays the sessions for a particular song, and as the instruments are playing, he displays pictures of the actual Wrecking Crew musician who is playing the part. The timing is perfect. He also uses captions over the pictures detailing the name of the musician and other interesting details. It's not only educational, it's very entertaining.

If somebody could incorporate something like that into a Pet Sounds' documentary - and the people at Classic Albums are certainly capable of it - you might come up with something worthwhile.

Re: Classic Albums: The Doors [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 11:48 PM CDT

I don't think you could do a show on Pet Sounds, because that album has been talked about to death.

Re: TLOS: any comments from Mike, Al or Bruce yet? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 10:46 PM CDT

Also, Barenaked Ladies guy in the same realm as VDP etc cracked me up.

Its just my personal opinion (which really doesn't have a lot of weight)   ...give a listen to more than just BNL's hits and you'll understand...or most likely not.

Brian Wilson - That Lucky Old Sun (CD 2008) ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 10:20 PM CDT

US $4.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Tuesday Sep-30-2008 20:20:33 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: Is this real? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 09:39 PM CDT

That's right up there with "sometimes I treat her like dirt / She still comforts me when I'm hurt."

Re: Is this real? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 09:24 PM CDT

Thanks for the info c-man. By what you and Andrew have said, maybe I was wrong. It just, I dunno, looked fake. But since you have seen the original 1983 sheet music and can vouch for its authenticity, then I guess that proves this one.

Quote
What's really interesting is the change in lyrics for "Crack At Your Love":  the original, copyrighted 1984 and credited to just Brian and Landy, is hysterical in its stupidity.  The revised version, copyrighted '85 and with Al listed as a cowriter, is a definite improvement.

Dare I ask...how bad were the original lyrics?

See for yourself...but don't say I didn't warn ya...!

I'm headed for something big
I feel it building up inside
I've been trying to let you know
That I feel that I love you so
Wondering why it feels like this
Wishing I could get a kiss
And you know, I'd like to get a
CRACK AT YOUR LOVE

You make life sunny
Your sense of humor is funny
Who taught you how to walk that way?
When you smile I know the world's okay
When I see a twinkle in your eye
It sends my heart all the way to the sky
And you know, I'd like to get a
CRACK AT YOUR LOVE

Lonely nights, lonely days
Lonely nights, lonely days
I'm reaching out for you;
In my mind, in my mind

Sweetheart, baby
Don't say maybe
I can't hide the way I feel
I can't hide that it feels so real
I don't want to get hurt again
Like the time a-way back when
But you know, I'd like to get a crack at your
And you know, I'd like to get a crack at your
And you know, I'd like to get a
CRACK AT YOUR LOVE

An All-Star Tribute to Brian Wilson (2001, DVD) ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 07:51 PM CDT

US $5.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Tuesday Sep-30-2008 17:51:18 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Beach Boys Brian Wilson Signed That Lucky Old Sun LP ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 11:49 AM CDT

US $89.99
End Date: Tuesday Sep-30-2008 9:49:31 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $89.99
Buy it now | Add to watch list

Brian Wilson - That Lucky Old Sun (CD 2008) ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 26 Sep 2008 10:27 PM CDT

US $4.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Monday Sep-29-2008 20:27:20 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

1 comment:

The Fetish Rose said...

This is a great blog. Thanks for posting it. I've recentely gotten into a real Beach Boys kick and was curious if you could tell me which BB book you recommend to learn more about the dynamics between the three Wilson brothers. Were they close? Did Brian have a good relationship with his brothers when they died? Stuff like that I'd love to know.

bobharveysports@gmail.com