Monday, July 14, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Lowest point in the BB career? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 06:35 AM CDT

The lowest point is the demolition of SMiLE in 1967 and Brian stepping back after not getting the support he needed. That was the first and most serious low point.
But certain compilations still sell millions these days, so I say the BB did everything right.
"Kokomo" is certainly one of the high points for me. I mean, if Brian would have written it, everyone would praise it as a work of Genius.

Re: Brian in 81 and 82 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 04:32 AM CDT

Just from hearing the interviews Brian gave in 1981, without knowing the real circumstances, I would think that this was one of the most relaxed times in his life. He sounded upbeat, gave good, long, well thought and meaningful answers and sounded...hate to say this word...normal. No comparison to his appearance when back with Landy a year or two later.

Re: Brian in 81 and 82 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 03:49 AM CDT

I think Brian's compositions improved quickly as Landy entered the picture...

TdHabib, I told you before that I love your posts. I look forward to them, and you always post when things are slow to keep the board(s) moving. You're consistent and I appreciate that.

But....I could not disagree more with your above statement. Throughout Brian's career, even when he was contributing just one or two songs per album (like on Surf's Up, CATP, and Holland), right through the 15 Big Ones to KTSA years, Brian's songs had that "something special" quality about them, that "how did he come up with that" feeling; you could easily distinguish Brian's songs from the others'. But, after Landy re-entered in 1982, something happened, in my opinion, to Brian's songwriting/composing skills. Yeah, there might be an isolated brilliant moment, but few. The songs were not as creative, much simpler, and lost that little magical touch that Brian used to put in his songs. The songs almost, but not quite, made it.

And I blame that, if that's the right word, on whatever Landy was feeding Brian - literally.
I must agree mainly, but I think about half the 88 album is special. The other Landy era songs aren't so hot so I guess for me to say five or so songs have that Brian magic isn't a good percentage.

Re: Lowest point in the BB career? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 03:34 AM CDT

Hasn't history proven that if Brian truly doesn't want to do something, he doesn't?
True until the day he met Landy.

Re: The Band [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 02:47 AM CDT

A fantastic band, fully agree with Luther's words. These guys could play, and when they played together they brought out the best in each other. With Helm, Danko and Manuel they had three exceptional singers in the band, which only added to the diversity and variety of their material.

However, Sheriff, if I were you I'd start with "Music From Big Pink" (1968) or "The Band" (1969), the "Best-Of" & "Hits" collections that are circulating aren't always the best place to start, as they omit a lot of key albums tracks, and the two albums I mention are both classics, must-haves, "The Band" being my favourite.

I'm sure you already know "The Basement Tapes" too, as a Dylan fan. As far as I know Robbie Robertson was the only one to score a couple of minor "solo hits", such as "Somewhere Down The Crazy River" in 1988, but I have to admit that I only have a couple of Rick Danko solo albums, and I still haven't picked up the latest one by Levon Helm, so that makes it impossible to say anything about the strength of their solo output.

Personally I also like "Stage Fright" (1970, engineered by a young Todd Rundgren), which is often overlooked, and "Northern Lights Southern Cross" (1975), which is also excellent (and features "Acadian Driftwood"!), and probably their last truly great offering.

Re: Picking apart the bonus tracks on the POB reissue [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 02:16 AM CDT

Chronology-wise, I'm working on a "Bambu" and "POB Bonus Tracks" essay for my website, where currently my "POB" essay can be read (www.beachboysarchives.com).  It might be a few more weeks before it's up, but my goal is to give as much of that type of info as possible, with updates as more info surfaces.

The POB essay is *fabulous* -- can't wait to see the next round!  And thanks for the overall reminders of how long some of these were gestating.

Just two quick questions for those who know -- A) what's the evidence that "All Alone" is a remake from a year later than the other Carli Munoz recordings (it doesn't really sound like he's a year farther gone), and B) when were the Beach Boys overdubs to "Love Surrounds Me" done?  (Was Dennis involved, or did Bruce and the others just take the song off his hands?)

I'm also wondering a bit about "It's Not Too Late" -- the bootleg version I found was significantly less slowed-down, and to me sounds more natural, where the Legacy Edition sounds so slow that Carl's voice almost sounds dirgelike.  Anyone know how they worked out the mastering speed on this one?

As for "Album Tag Song", I'm still not too sure that Dennis -- Mr. Spontanaiety -- would have already thought about what the tag to  his second album would be at a time when he hadn't even worked out the final running order for POB, but it's possible...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Re: BB on \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 01:46 AM CDT

So, listening to "Wipe Out" (there's a reason), and the more I listen - on CD, iPod or 45 - the more I'm convinced that the only Beach Boy on this song is Brian. Yes, even the bass vocal.

Why, I have no idea and somewhere in there is one helluva good story.

OMG, just had a déjà vu experience.  Shocked
Was listening to the "Still Cruisin'" album yesterday (wanted to check which mix of "California Girls" was used  Cheesy).
While "Wipe Out", thought about AGD's claim that it's all Brian, even the bass vocal. But that's Mike, can't be Brian, AGD doesn't have a clue. Or if it's Brian, it's a darn good Mike interpretation. Anyway, I come here and here's AGD's message about this topic. Very strange...

Re: BB on \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 01:06 AM CDT


LA outtake w/Honeys on bvs (they used the 1973 track & bvs)

Don't you meant the Adult/Child version?

Re: Lowest point in the BB career? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 12:47 AM CDT

The question was what is the lowest point in the Beach Boys career erikdavid.

Nobody here would begrudge the guys making a living. Its just the choice of name by one act, marketing of another that upsets people. Has been the case for years.

Your idea of a lowpoint may differ.

I for one would go to a Mike and Bruce show in an instant. But not their Beach Boys and associated inflated ticket price. I'm also done with Brian. I'm now unsure he wants to be out there.



I know, and you're right. I just get sick of all the Mike/Bruce bashing. It really has gone on too long and is really just.... very mean. Of course, I know it's warrented in some cases, but still....

For me, the lowest point would have to be 1976, dragging Brian out and forcing him to write and record with The Beach Boys. I have a major soft spot for 15 Big Ones and the shows from 76-77, but when I listen to Holland, 15 Big Ones starts sounding like the audio equivelant of a snuff film. It really just killed all the hard-won momentum the band had acheived and shut down the whole enterprise as a valid/relevant act... It really was shameful in so many ways.

Re: New US singles box-set [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 11:56 PM CDT

If there's a longer fade on the master and all (except for Steve's) releases of Good Vibrations have the same fade, either the mastering notes clearly state where the fade is to fall, and all engineers have followed that information, OR possibly a dub of the single master was made with the fade in place and that's been used for subsequent releases.  There are sometimes "LP masters" which are already mastered to specification for transfer to vinyl with EQ, fades, etc., that are one generation down from the master tape.  Perhaps there is a similar "single master dub" for Good Vibrations.

The abrupt fade on GV no doubt originated with concerns that the song was too long already, and shaving whatever they could off the fade could only help with shortening it to make it more radio friendly.  But the DCC version with the gradual fade fits the song and likely was Brian's choice for the fade.

Okay, let's get the mystery of the "long" GV master resolved once and for all.  This is from e-mail correspondence I had with Steve Hoffman almost eight years ago:

I asked him: "How did you get away with that longer 'GV' on ENDLESS SUMMER?"

He responded: "Regarding 'Good Vibrations', I made an edit using one of the BB's CD's that had the instrumental tracks from G.V.  I just spliced on the longer fadeout. I always thought that the thing faded out too soon.  Just my little jolly....."

Mystery solved.

Indeed... and not Brian's fade after all.

Re: BB on \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 11:53 PM CDT

If that's Brian on bass vocal, that's the greatest Mike Love imitation I ever heard! And from Brian no less. But, my question is, why would Mike LET ANYBODY sing his part on a Beach Boys' recording?

That's what I mean - great story in there somewhere.

BTW, for a great BW bass vocal, check out the unreleased version of "Shortenin' Bread"

Which one? Isn't there like, 4?

LA outtake w/Honeys on bvs (they used the 1973 track & bvs)

Re: New US singles box-set [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 11:30 PM CDT

Okay, let's get the mystery of the "long" GV master resolved once and for all.  This is from e-mail correspondence I had with Steve Hoffman almost eight years ago:

I asked him: "How did you get away with that longer 'GV' on ENDLESS SUMMER?"

He responded: "Regarding 'Good Vibrations', I made an edit using one of the BB's CD's that had the instrumental tracks from G.V.  I just spliced on the longer fadeout. I always thought that the thing faded out too soon.  Just my little jolly....."

Mystery solved.
Very interesting. I will have to check if the ending synchs with the instrumental track on the GV box set.

Re: Brian in 81 and 82 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 11:05 PM CDT

I think Brian's compositions improved quickly as Landy entered the picture...

TdHabib, I told you before that I love your posts. I look forward to them, and you always post when things are slow to keep the board(s) moving. You're consistent and I appreciate that.

But....I could not disagree more with your above statement. Throughout Brian's career, even when he was contributing just one or two songs per album (like on Surf's Up, CATP, and Holland), right through the 15 Big Ones to KTSA years, Brian's songs had that "something special" quality about them, that "how did he come up with that" feeling; you could easily distinguish Brian's songs from the others'. But, after Landy re-entered in 1982, something happened, in my opinion, to Brian's songwriting/composing skills. Yeah, there might be an isolated brilliant moment, but few. The songs were not as creative, much simpler, and lost that little magical touch that Brian used to put in his songs. The songs almost, but not quite, made it.

And I blame that, if that's the right word, on whatever Landy was feeding Brian - literally.
You know, we may disagree a lot but it's always very respectfully which I appreciate. The reason why I appreciate the best of the 80s work is that it came at a special time for me--I was going through a lot and the songs that I heard lifted my spirits. They also connected with my son (he's 16 and was 14 when he started hearing the stuff), one of his favorite songs is "Melt Away," so it's just the sentimental me.

But Brian indulged in his fair share of crap during the Landy years. In fact, I'd say the mid-90s work with Paley was both more consistant and on the whole more quality than the Landy years...

Re: BB on \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 10:54 PM CDT

So, listening to "Wipe Out" (there's a reason)
Insanity?  Razz

BW and band in Hampton Beach, NH [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 10:41 PM CDT

Just back from Hampton Beach.

Quick hits.

-- Seven-member band, including Brian. Scott on drums, Probyn on bass, Gary G. on keys, Jeff and Nick on guitars.
-- Quick and dirty hits show, about 1 hour 40 minutes.
-- Goin' Home and Southern California the teases from TLOS.
-- Brian in excellent voice (as good as any time I've seen him live, and this is the 5th), sans prompter.
-- Brian not especially animated, although he lightened up as the show progressed.
-- A much more rock-band sounding show than you might expect.
-- Killer GOK performance. Afterward, Brian stood up and bowed.

Re: 1) remember the zoo? 2) more encounters -- LONG! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 10:26 PM CDT

However, after the show ended, there was a big crowd round his bus, and tons of people were just staring at Brian like he was a zoo exhibit...

Reminds me of the 2006 Brian encounter I previously posted about...my wife and I had gone to the concert the night before as well. We and a few friends were hanging out near the stage door after the show, and Brian walked out and went straight to the bus, which was parked right there. After a few minutes, the shade on the windshield went up, and lo and behold, there was Brian sitting in the front passenger seat, looking emotionless and, frankly, exhausted. I think he may have waved once or twice....but what I found kind of embarrassing were people standing in front of the bus and having their pictures taken....the phrase "museum exhibit" entered my mind several times...

Now...as for other encounters....when we lived in Jersey, my wife and I were going to be in Chicago while Brian and the band were playing in the area, and he happened to be doing a show at the House of Blues in Chicago while we were there, so of course we went. Our friend Christine e-mailed Jeff Foskett and managed to get him to set us up with "after-party" passes....it was basically a big meet'n'greet in the main auditorium. Brian didn't come out, but most of the band did. And I managed to meet all four of the Wondermints and had them all autograph the liner from my copy of Wonderful World of Wondermints.

I think Probyn was the first one, and his signature includes a doodle of a rabbit. I complimented Probyn on his lead vocal on "Don't Go Breaking My Heart." He said that when he recorded the vocal, it was right around the time he and a longtime girlfriend had just split up, so he was singing it from the heart!

Mike D'Amico was next...I felt bad for asking him, because he was busy carrying an amp or something at the time, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity...I asked him if he'd mind signing something for me, and he immediately dropped the amp, came over, sat at the foot of the stage, and said "This is the first time I had a chance to sit down in SIX HOURS!" heh...I felt better then. Rob McCabe and I praised him for "Cellophane," and my wife joined us all with a chorus of "Good to have you back" (he skipped the tour the previous year to work on the Wondermints' album).

Darian came over and said, "This guy has THREE SONGS on our new album! He's getting creative on us!" I asked Darian to autograph the liner; he smiled and said, "Sure!" Then when he saw what it was, his eyes widened, and he said, "WOW! Thanks for buying this!" I've heard from more than one source close to him that 1) he's really honored when he sees that people like his music, and 2) although he loves performing Brian's music, he's very shy about his own music, which is one reason that a Wondermints concert had been a pretty rare thing...

Nick was last. He was having a drink; again, I felt guilty disturbing him because he was obviously doing his thing, but again, I didn't want to miss the opportunity. Just as friendly as anybody else, he signed the liner, using a stylized "N" that formed a square-root sign with "ick" under it followed by "= serf's up," followed by square-root-of-negative-one.

Afterwards, my wife and a few other friends talked to Probyn for a bit and got some interesting info (that's pretty much irrelevant now after what has happened since!), and....Probyn LOVES talking to fans, obviously! Heh...security was trying to usher us out, so Probyn said, "Let's just move five feet and see if we can get away with it." About fifteen minutes later, security comes by again and tries to usher us out. Probyn once more said, "Okay, let's move ANOTHER five feet!" Heh...that happened about four times!

And after we left and Probyn went to his Probyn business, we hung out by the entrance, and Jeff walked out...one of the guys in our little group practically pounced on Jeff..."Jeff, I have a single that you did way back when, and it's pretty much 'Little Deuce Coupe' done inside-out!" Jeff was clearly beyond exhausted (it was a pretty late show) and he just kind of, as politely as he could, said "Really? Wow, that's great!" and kept walking. The guy persisted. "Hey, Jeff, if I gave you my 'Guess I'm Dumb' single, could you have Brian autograph it for me?" Jeff kept walking, and with every ounce of his strength, replied, in a very exhausted voice, "go to the Carl Walk." "You think he'd--" "Go to the Carl Walk!" heh...

So....that's it for me....I've met Ricky, Brian, Al, Nelson, and the Wondermints. I had a close encounter with Paul Mertens once...my wife and I befriended Dan Addington about ten years ago (and we now live about a block away from him by a set of odd coincidences!), and Dan had invited us to a puppet show that he hosted at his art gallery. And...something I forgot about: Paul's wife was in charge of the show! Dan told me that he noticed that somebody in the crowd at his prior puppet show looked very familiar. He checked the guest registry and saw a familiar name, and he thought, "Ahhh, that's who that was!" but he still couldn't think of how he knew the guy. He was talking with the woman in charge of the puppet show, and she told Dan that her "husband is a big Brian Wilson fan." That's when it hit Dan. He went over to Paul and told Paul, "Every time you were in Chicago with Brian Wilson, I was there!" So...a year later, Mrs. Mertens did another puppet show at the gallery. One of the "acts" in the puppet show started with an announcer asking the crowd for a warm round of applause for some dude named "Popcorn," and here is a picture of what I saw next:



. Then Paul's wife came out operating a life-sized puppet, and it turned out it was a fictitious reunion of a husband-and-wife lounge singing team, and they sang a song that was similar to "Reach Out And Touch Somebody's Hand."

Re: The Band [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 08:12 PM CDT

Thanks for the info, Luther. Yeah, I really like Levon Helm, too. I always thought he was in the Dennis Wilson/Ringo Starr mode of drummer - solid but not fancy; but I enjoy his drumming. And singing. I'm starting to appreciate his voice more.

I also like Before The Flood, but I am not familiar with The Band's 70's studio work. There is a song, Acadian Driftwood, which I think is great, but I don't where/when it's from.

Re: [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 08:08 PM CDT

I remember Foskett singing a snippet of "Brian in Back".

And the crowd singing Happy Birthday, and "You're So Good To Me" breaking down. :D

Re: The Band [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 08:02 PM CDT

I'm nowhere near an expert, and can't really speak to the personal lives or problems of any of the Band. As to their musicianship, I'd say they were all very good musicians of a sort. None were what I'd call virtuosos blowing people away with technique. But they were all crack musicians in practical, working-band terms. Several guys were more than competent on multiple instruments, letting them do creative arrangements to suit the tunes. And Levon Helm, in my opinion, was just a motherfodaer. And that's a compliment. I love the Band's first two albums and their 60s work with Dylan. I also like the '73 or '74 tour with him, somewhat, but not so much their studio work in the 70s, largely because I just don't like the production or sound choices engineers and producers were going with at the time.

Brian Wilson A&E Biography - Rare VHS ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 05:03 PM CDT

US $15.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Friday Jul-18-2008 15:03:40 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

It's Good To Be In Ottawa [Smiley Smile Dot Net]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 03:41 PM CDT

Homemade chocolate chip cookies are in my contract, as well.

It was clear to anyone watching Brian Wilson perform that the ravages of drugs and mental illness have left him impaired. While driving to the gig with Wilson on Wednesday, one of his entourage spotted a huge building on Wellington Street and asked his driver,"What church is that?"

"It's not a church," responded the driver. "It's our Parliament Buildings."

"Ah, yes, this is the capital isn't it?" replied the visitor. He then turned to Wilson: "Brian when you're on stage say 'It's good to be in Ottawa.' Got that. Now say it back to me Brian."

Minutes into his show, Wilson repeated the exact words.

Backstage, the writer of the Beach Boys' most memorable music was subdued, but clearly delighted by the homemade chocolate chip cookies that were requested in his contract.

1 CENT CD: Brian Wilson 'What I Want For Christmas' ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 03:00 PM CDT

US $0.01 (1 Bid)
End Date: Friday Jul-18-2008 13:00:36 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Huge Lot 60 Plus Records Elvis Beach Boys Sinatra ["beach boys"]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 07:38 AM CDT

US $9.99 (1 Bid)
End Date: Monday Jul-14-2008 5:38:03 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: