Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Friends LP in MONO vs Stereo [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 06:01 AM CDT

I have found a record shop that is selling an original Friends LP for £15 in mono. The catalogue number is T.... as opposed to ST....

I know there has been some discussion over the BBs 60s LPs, and whether the Mono or Stereo versions are better, and i was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the Mono version.

Friends is the only significant 60s LP missing from my vinyl collection and it has been hard to find, but i don't mind waiting to find the right version.

Re: I'm going on the road (some Wilson content) [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 05:33 AM CDT

We may be doing another central PA date...I'm waiting to hear.

BRIAN WILSON Beach Boys NEW 2006 1st ed CATCH A WAVE ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 03:44 AM CDT

US $17.41
End Date: Tuesday Jul-22-2008 1:44:49 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $17.41
Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: really recorded in the beach boys home studio? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 03:41 AM CDT

Thanks, glad now I didn't ask.   Any idea where the Chuck story was printed, or where that came from (i.e.,  had anyone else heard that one)?  Is it correct that Chuck did do some work at the Bellagio studio?

Re: Photo of Brian holding record in pool [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 01:59 AM CDT

I've heard it said that as soon as this shot was taken, Brian got out of the pool, walked to the nearest wall and smashed the disc against it.

LOL!  LOL

Just in case someone actually believes this, I'm wondering how they were able to piece the disc together again after that, because it looked quite undamaged hanging on the wall of Brian's office in one of the Dr. Landy era TV reports.
Yeah, the best stories....but a good laugh anyway.

Re: early 60s-smile era demos? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 01:16 AM CDT

In My Room is on the Good Vibrations box.

Re: early 60s-smile era demos? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 01:08 AM CDT

There were piano demo snippets recorded during the SMiLE Era like the melody of what became "Saturday Morning in the City".

Re: Brian's Back [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 12:55 AM CDT

I even dig the 2003 remake on Love's Unleash The Love album.  I thought Christian did a fantastic job supporting the 'Carl parts'.....

BRIAN WILSON THE BEACH BOYS RARITIES VOL.3 ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 12:34 AM CDT

US $35.97 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Jul-19-2008 22:34:26 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $44.97
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON SLIGHTLY AMERICAN MUSIC ANDY PALEY SESSION ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 12:33 AM CDT

US $36.97 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Jul-19-2008 22:33:39 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $44.97
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: Brian's Back [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 12:32 AM CDT

I think its one of those songs that I would dislike a lot more if not for Carl...his singing really makes the song for me.  I especially love his vocal at the end when he does the "You Still Believe In Me" melody.

The insertion of that melody and the sentiment behind it is very touching, and probably one of the cleverest things the BBs ever did.

BRIAN WILSON BEACH BOYS CALIFORNIA FEELING ALBUM ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 12:16 AM CDT

US $29.98 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Jul-19-2008 22:16:07 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $39.97
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: really recorded in the beach boys home studio? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 12:13 AM CDT

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but am I correct in remembering that Chuck Britz worked the session at Bellagio, and that Manson, according to some source, is supposed to have threatened him with a knife?

As I've over-mentioned here a few times, I had a five-minute encounter with Chuck Britz once and this was the question I regretted not asking him.  Even if it had flitted through my mind, I don't think I'd have wanted to ask about Charles Manson within the first five minutes.  Turned out there was no second chance.

I'm surprised if these tapes haven't been destroyed.  I wouldn't want them out there, but for historical purposes I do think they should be preserved.  I just can't see Brother seeing it that way.



Steve Desper was the engineer for the Manson Bellagio sessions.

Re: Lowest point in the BB career? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 12:03 AM CDT

I think it's impossible to pick a specific low point. There are just to many, and it depends on the fan. Releasing a live album(their first one, specificly) filled with dumb covers (Monster Mash, Long Tall Texan, Pappa Ooo Mow Mow) instead of their great original songs(no Don't Worry Baby???) was a low point. To the hardcore surf fans, Pet Sounds was a low point. For the people that actually understood Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations, Smiley Smile was practically a slap in the face. I could go on and on. My point is, virtually every Beach Boys album/era was a low point to SOMEBODY.

I agree on one point - Smiley Smile.  Carl called it a bunt. I'd call it three straight called strikes, bat never leaving the shoulder, standing on the wrong side of the plate and back to the dugout.  Good Vibrations, Heros & Villains, sure, but the rest - - - - what a mess.

On the other hand, Beach Boys Concert was the first BB album I bought in 1965 and I loved it, every song.  The studio albums and the singles had the rest of the hits, this one also had some fun takes on other popular songs.  To me, it showed their versatility.  I was as hard core a fan as you could get in 1966 and I was absolutely knocked out with Pet Sounds. For this hard core fan it was the highest of a high point. I got it from the first note.  Absolutely overpowering, and nailed it but good.

Like you say, everybody has a different take on these things.  For me, it wasn't MIU or SIP (i like most of both those), etc., it was Carl's passing.   I realize the "low point" is most likely  considered to be regarding their actual history in terms of recording, touring, etc..  To me, that's stuff that comes and hopefully goes.  I'd probably say late 60's in terms of touring, or perhaps the personal problems plaguing them in the late 70's.  But the real low point was losing Carl for all the obvious reasons. Sure, it was out of everyone's hands and had nothing to do with decisions, output, etc., things they could control, but to me that was the end of it all.  I like the fact that Mike and Bruce are trying to keep the band alive but for most of us it will never be the same, and can't be.



Re: POB-Legacy Edition [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 11:59 PM CDT

The Legacy Edition is the 2-CD version (Disc One:  POB and outtakes, Disc Two:  Bambu (The Caribou Sessions)).  The first-run Limited Edition of the Legacy Edition features the deluxe packaging as seen on Amazon.com (among other websites).  The second-run is a standard jewel case package.  But they are "both" the "Legacy Edition".

Re: POB-Legacy Edition [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 11:33 PM CDT

Thanks for the help.  Smiley I'm slightly confused...is the Legacy one the "deluxe" version that was a limited edition?

Re: POB-Legacy Edition [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 11:28 PM CDT

I believe the legacy edition is the one that unfolds like a gatfold record album, with the addition of the unfolded letter from Dennis. There is apparently a regular jewel box edition that is just making its way into stores.

Re: really recorded in the beach boys home studio? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 11:04 PM CDT

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but am I correct in remembering that Chuck Britz worked the session at Bellagio, and that Manson, according to some source, is supposed to have threatened him with a knife?

As I've over-mentioned here a few times, I had a five-minute encounter with Chuck Britz once and this was the question I regretted not asking him.  Even if it had flitted through my mind, I don't think I'd have wanted to ask about Charles Manson within the first five minutes.  Turned out there was no second chance.

I'm surprised if these tapes haven't been destroyed.  I wouldn't want them out there, but for historical purposes I do think they should be preserved.  I just can't see Brother seeing it that way.

Re: New Story To Me...Dennis beats up Manson [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 10:54 PM CDT

I was afraid that if I brought up all the David Marks connections we might get off-topic.  But as an aside, he was banned at some point from every location mentioned above, for the reason to which you alluded, except for the Antelope Valley fairgrounds, where the attitude towards projectile urine is a bit more progressive. On a happier note, Dave seems to be dried out and weapon-free these days.

POB-Legacy Edition [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 10:53 PM CDT

I know that there have been several POB threads already, but I'd appreciate it if somebody could indulge me for a minute or two.  Grin I was hoping somebody could describe the Legacy version of POB for me. The copy I bought listed it as the Legacy Edition, but I'd just like to double check.

Re: ESQuarterly [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 10:30 PM CDT

ESQ is a lot of fun and worth the price of admission. If you dig the Beach Boys enough to post here you will enjoy it...

CW
(ESQ subscriber since 2004)

Re: 1981 up at Bellagio... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 10:08 PM CDT

I have another question for Andrew, or Ian. During the research for the 1981 entry on Andrew's site, was there any information unearthed about the infamous "cocaine tapes"? Were any studio sheets(I forget what they're called) found?

Re: early 60s-smile era demos? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 10:05 PM CDT

There's a piano demo of Brian singing Vegetables back when it was part of the Elements suites. It includes this lyric not available in other versions:
Tripped on a cornucopia
Stripped the stalk green and I hope ya
Like me the most of all...my favorite Vega-tables!

Re: Brian's Back [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 09:33 PM CDT

Mike Love wrote it, and the lyrics are really corny. That's all that really needs to be said about it.
Amen! Razz

Re: Lowest point in the BB career? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 09:05 PM CDT

Beach Boys album 101

Must always have at least one Brian gem. Wink 

Mark Arminski Brian Wilson 1998 Concert Poster ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 08:57 PM CDT

US $24.99
End Date: Monday Jul-21-2008 18:57:40 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $24.99
Buy it now | Add to watch list

Re: Brian's Back [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 08:47 PM CDT

Thoughts on it?

I love the song. Who wrote the music and arrangements? Good melody, touching lyrics, nice vocals. I wonder what Brian thought about it; never read any comments. I prefer the shorter version; I find the guitar middle/solo boring on the Endless Harmony version. There have been quite a few songs written about Brian. Including one written by Brian himself...

early 60s-smile era demos? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 08:33 PM CDT

Hi all,

So, I'm aware of Brian's Surfin' USA piano demo recording, the Heroes and Villains/Great Shape/Barnyard piano demo, of course the famous Surf's Up demo recordings.. but are there any other piano demo recordings from this era(especially from Smile!) in existence?

Re: Text of Brian's R [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 08:29 PM CDT

Wow, that was a very nice speech.

Re: Slightly OT New York (Manhattan) BB/BW cd shops [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 08:01 PM CDT

Uh, maybe someone should send PM's to discuss this topic?  You know BRI people read this board, right?  Melinda is probalby on her way to shut down those record stores even as we speak!

No comments: