Saturday, July 19, 2008

The DNA Network

The DNA Network

The Gene Collector: George Church and the PGP in Wired Magazine [The Personal Genome]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 08:02 PM CDT

This month’s issue of Wired Magazine has a nice article about George Church and his Personal Genome Project. Check it out:

Thomas Goetz, “The Gene Collector” Wired Magazine, August 2008.

How deadly is your virus? [Bayblab]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 06:49 PM CDT

Ever wanted to unleash a global pandemic? If you say yes in the comments don't blame me when homeland security knocks at your door. Live out your villain virologist fantasies with this pandemic simulator. Now if I could only get a VSV outbreak in Madagascar...

ISMB - The back channel [business|bytes|genes|molecules]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 11:53 AM CDT

Interested in the ISMB conference? Not there. Like me, you should be checking out the back channel on Friendfeed

ShareThis

Addict Updates [Bayblab]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 10:59 AM CDT

Informationaddiction.com has some updates for those of us who try to keep up with IT news.

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog [Bayblab]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 10:36 AM CDT

Do you like superhero fantasy? Do you like musicals? Then check out Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. It's a 3-part musical superhero spoof (each part is about 13 minutes long) starring Neil Patrick Harris and written/directed by Joss Whedon (the man behind Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly, co-writer of Toy Story, as well as several comic book stints).

It's free to watch, but will only be online until midnight, Sunday July 20th.

Ten commandments of race and genetics research [Yann Klimentidis' Weblog]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 10:32 AM CDT

When I saw this New Scientist article a few days ago, I found it a bit too PC and irksome, so didn't think it was worth blogging about, but thankfully Dienekes makes some good comments on each of the ten points.
I'll just add that I think that the use of the word "race" is getting really old and counterproductive, partly because it's often used as a straw man.

Reason to Love George Church and Michael Crichton [The Gene Sherpa: Personalized Medicine and You]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 09:25 AM CDT

Did anyone get to see George Church's love article in Wired. I am at a point here where I begin to truly appreciate what he is doing. This article gave me some insight. You fight and fight with...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

Evolutionary trends. [Genomicron]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 07:34 AM CDT

The E-Patient [ScienceRoll]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 04:26 AM CDT


Jan Martens at Medblog.nl shared a more than interesting post with me. He mentioned Maarten Lens-Fitzgerald who should be considered one of the best examples of e-patients in the world. Why?

This is the blog of the journey I started on June 4th 2008 when I found out I had a tumor between my lungs. Its a journal for all to read, to stay informed and for me to share.

Further reading:

From Medicine to Blogging [ScienceRoll]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 04:09 AM CDT


Arnold Kim is a nephrologist who left his practice to become a professional blogger.

As crazy as it seems, for these past 8 years, MacRumors has been a hobby or part-time job. I think most people would have made this move long before me, but the momentum of my "other" career made it difficult for me to break free.

I started MacRumors.com in February of 2000. I was in my 4th and last year of medical school. I had been dabbling in the web for fun and decided to focus a natural interest of mine (Apple) into a website. My work on the site has since had its ups and downs. Over the next 8 years, I completed medical school, an Internal Medicine residency, a fellowship in Nephrology and even worked two years in private practice as a physician (Nephrologist).

Keith J Kaplan at Digital Pathology Blog did some math while searching for the reason why Kim left medicine. Well, Kim’s average salary can be somewhere around 135.000$ a year (according to Payscale) while

Silicon Alley Insider quotes Quantcast numbers reporting a “staggering 37 million page views a month“. This makes MacRumors, #571th biggest site on the whole Internet. If we assume quite modest monetization at $1 CPM (cost per thousand pageviews), he would be making about $37K a month. If he monetizes at $10 CPM that would be $370K a month.

To get the real feel for the numbers, compare to RevolutionHealth.com, which raised hundreds of millions of dollars, while only attaining #898 rank on Quantcast.

This is how a blog can lead to a career.

Do you know any professional or semi-professional medical bloggers?

Word Cloud of Scienceroll [ScienceRoll]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 03:08 AM CDT


Just for fun, I created a word cloud with Wordle.net for Scienceroll.

(Via Biomedicine on Display)

The Periodic Table of Videos [ScienceRoll]

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 02:03 AM CDT


The University of Nottingham created an example for all the educators around the world. They constructed a series of interesting videos focusing on each element of the periodic table.

Some videos:

Helium:

Arsenic:

Oxygen:

Follow their Youtube channel!

What did they need to come up with such a unique project? 5 innovator educators and a video journalist of BBC. That’s how we can change education.

No comments: