Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Wondermints music [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 06:19 AM CDT

Re: Made up fantasy or embellished Beach Boys albums [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 05:21 AM CDT

Hey Aegir,

I quite like that Randell Kirsch song too, so I would certainly excuse you for putting it on the reunion album.  Simple but very beautiful.  There are several great songs on that Under God cd, but my personal faves are The "Oh" song, the BW track (nothing earth shattering but it puts a smile on my face and Bri seems like he is into it).  That Paul Steele track lead me to check out his other stuff. His song, In a Coma, may be the best new song of 2008.  Check it out if you haven't already.  Sorry for the off- topic post

Re: Made up fantasy or embellished Beach Boys albums [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 05:02 AM CDT

I've been fiddling about recently trying to rework the late 70s albums to make them a bit stronger, I went through the outtakes on AGDs site to try and tie them to particular albums and also dissassembled Dennis's solo stuff too to add on there.
I know there's been threads about this sort of thing before but I would be interested to see other peoples tracklists of their 'doctored' albums (any era).
I know this is boring and anal but as a big BB fan I know that most of us do this sort of thing and being in the office as I am now I can assure you that your answers would be far more interesting...!
Amazing!! I was thinking about posting on this exact same topic yesterday!! I am doing the same. and would also be interested!

Re: Picking apart the bonus tracks on the POB reissue [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 04:08 AM CDT

My favorite Bambu song has got to be Constant Companion.

Re: Made up fantasy or embellished Beach Boys albums [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 04:01 AM CDT

Before I reinstalled iTunes (which got rid of all my playlists), I had a "reunion album" which combined various recent solo tracks. The last song, though, was "When I Get To Heaven" by Randell Kirsch and Christian Love, which I justified because I included Too Cruel from Mike Love Not War, which has Christian on lead vocal. Christian's on a lot of the tracks on Mike's album.

Made up fantasy or embellished Beach Boys albums [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 03:55 AM CDT

I've been fiddling about recently trying to rework the late 70s albums to make them a bit stronger, I went through the outtakes on AGDs site to try and tie them to particular albums and also dissassembled Dennis's solo stuff too to add on there.
I know there's been threads about this sort of thing before but I would be interested to see other peoples tracklists of their 'doctored' albums (any era).
I know this is boring and anal but as a big BB fan I know that most of us do this sort of thing and being in the office as I am now I can assure you that your answers would be far more interesting...!

Re: Beachboys? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 03:21 AM CDT

The different variations of Surfin' are shown about halfway down this page but all say "Beach Boys" with a space. That's why I was confused.
http://www.colorradio.com/onetwo.htm

Re: sloop john B with carl and dennis lead? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 03:12 AM CDT

These were only tapes in the 80's. Pet Sounds outakes to make it onto vinyl are the three common ones on most Pet Sounds CD issues in 1994, and a 1996 ep from the Sub Pop label that predated the boxset (it was basically promotion for it while it was tied up. Pet Sounds is being issued on vinyl again and the add showed the cover to have the 3 bonus tracks which may be an error but we'll see. If so it's good because the 1994 issue is hard to find and didn't even list the cuts on the cover.

Re: Holland [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 03:04 AM CDT

Andrew's site has this as a Beach Boys cut. Great song.

Re: Picking apart the bonus tracks on the POB reissue [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 01:24 AM CDT

I've written up an essay on "Pacific Ocean Blue" and "Bambu" in my blog, here, to try to convert a few more of my friends.

I wish I'd gone into a bit more detail about the Bambu tracks which really impressed me -- I adore "Wild Situation", though not as much as the uncensored bootleg mix, and "Love Surround Me" really deserves more than a couple of descriptive adjectives in passing -- but I hope the thoughts I've got there are interesting enough...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Re: Holland [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 12:51 AM CDT

I'm not sure Hard Times was intended for Holland, but I think it was recorded before the final Sail on Sailor sessions.  And yes, this and the other 'outtakes' would've made this fantastic album even better.

Regarding Hard Times:

I'm assuming Ricky and/or Blondie wrote this but who played on the track in circulation?  Is that Carl on the background harmony and the background "'...easier to give" parts?  Is that Dennis or Dragon on keyboards?

Wondering if this is a BB track or is it maybe something off of the The Flame's unreleased follow-up album?

Re: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 12:46 AM CDT

This is more of a backing-vocals question than a lead-vocals one, but this seems to be where the braintrust hangs out...

I'm putting together a collection of Carl and Dennis material for a friend (calling it "Brother Act", natch), and wanted to focus on songs which involved both of them.  So, just for nitpickiness' sake:  is Carl in the backing vocals on the Beach Boys version of "Love Surrounds Me"?  How about "Cuddle Up"?  And did Dennis sing backup on any of Carl's songs (other than "Angel Come Home")?

Cheers,
Jon Blum

(20) 2008 Topps #397 BRIAN WILSON ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 23 Jul 2008 08:04 PM CDT

US $0.50 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Jul-26-2008 18:04:35 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON - CAROLINE NO - MINT ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 23 Jul 2008 05:05 PM CDT

US $9.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Jul-26-2008 15:05:00 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Brian Wilson Signed 2008 All Star Game Baseball Giants ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 23 Jul 2008 12:16 PM CDT

US $23.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Jul-26-2008 10:16:43 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $30.99
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

No comments: