Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Brian's New Album Cover [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 04:59 AM CDT

By the way, curiously enough Amazon has the vinyl edition listed for August 19th. Probably just a mistake?

http://www.amazon.com/That-Lucky-Old-Brian-Wilson/dp/B001BN731Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1216104021&sr=1-2
Sometimes they do that to boost sales. Perl Jam's Vitalogy (SP?) made top 50 on the charts just as a vinyl release.

Re: Brian's New Album Cover [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 04:54 AM CDT

Like the cover alot. It looks really fresh and "full of life".  I agree, it reminds me a little of "Wild honey" too.

Re: Screenplay about Dennis? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 04:41 AM CDT

Interesting post. You were there during a few very important years. What changes did you observe in Dennis over that period of time, whether it be vocal, emotional, etc?

Re: really recorded in the beach boys home studio? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 04:38 AM CDT

I don't know I would be curious to hear just to see if any Beach Boys did participate. I almost feel dirty saying it but his recordings of the era were pretty good. I must say he is one of the sicker people I have read about, and I think he did cost Dennis a lot of his credibility among the other Beach Boys. I wish he and Dennis had never intercrosed paths really, but because of that I have learned a lot about the underside of the sixties.

Re: The Official BB You Tube Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 01:52 AM CDT

BTW, SmileyHoneyFriends account has been suspended - looks like the copyright lawyers may be on the rampage again.

Re: Brian's New Album Cover [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 01:41 AM CDT

By the way, curiously enough Amazon has the vinyl edition listed for August 19th. Probably just a mistake?

http://www.amazon.com/That-Lucky-Old-Brian-Wilson/dp/B001BN731Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1216104021&sr=1-2

Re: ESQuarterly [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 01:39 AM CDT

I'd wait for the next one and get a trial issue, since its going to be the POB special.

Re: Brian's New Album Cover [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 01:39 AM CDT

I like it a lot - in fact its the first of his solo album covers (besides SMiLE) that I have liked. It should definitely stand out on the record store shelf (record stores still have shelves, right?)...perhaps the poppies will be printed on the slipcase of the CD/DVD combo to reveal something else underneath?

Re: Screenplay about Dennis? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 01:39 AM CDT

I don't know about Gregg's project. If he IS working on this, I wish him the very best. About 10 years ago, I was looking into doing this along with John Corbett from Northern Exposure (I had written a couple of scripts which the producers had intended to use for the final season until Rob Morrow walked off the show).

John wanted to play Denny and I thought he'd be perfect for the role as his facial features were very similar and his natural personality was also similar in nature with Denny's.  I had hung with the band (stage managed some shows working with various promoters) back in the early-to-mid '70s and was friends with Denny, Carl, Ricky Fataar, Blondie, Billy and the gang.

I always felt the public never really knew the real Denny and that his story, if told RIGHT would help fans everywhere to better understand just what a magnificent but complex (and in many ways, tortured) soul Denny was.

Long story short, I got a bit of resistance from Denny's family at the time I approached them with the idea. Corbett was on board, but I think I failed to convince the family that what I wanted was to present Denny's life in a very sympathetic and POSITIVE light.  They just weren't comfortable with the idea and so we dropped the idea at the time.

Corbett moved on to other projects, as did I. However, in early 1998, I had a nice phone call with Fred Vail (The first manager of the Beach Boys), who encouraged me to to contact the family again (a few years had gone by) because he felt that the family might welcome a well-done screenplay on Denny's life at this point.  Neither Fred, nor I knew just how close to death our dear friend Carl was.  Fred had received a Christmas Card from Carl and Gina and was heading out west on business and planned to visit. Fred suggested I put together a new proposal to present to Carl to see if he would give it his blessing. Fred offered to present it to Carl personally when he visited.   I prepared the proposal and sent it to Fred. We spoke about the idea (Fred was quite supportive and felt it had a good chance of getting Carl's support). 

Ironically, that conversation was on February 6th, 1998. Neither one of us knew that as we spoke, Carl would leave us on that day.  I hadn't had any contact with Carl for a number of years at that point, and Fred had no idea Carl's condition had become so critical. We were both devastated later that day when we heard the news.  After Carl's death, I simply put away any idea of a movie about Dennis. The two best sources of information, Carl and his mother Audree, had passed within a couple months of each other.   

Gregg was, of course, MUCH closer to Denny than I ever was. So if he is, in fact, doing a screenplay on Denny's life, I wish him my very best.   I don't know Gregg, but if he needs any assistance with the actual writing of the screenplay, I'd be happy to work with him or consult with him.  How I'd love to see an HONEST film done on our friend.  Denny deserves nothing less than the best.

(20) 2008 Topps #397 BRIAN WILSON ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 06:36 PM CDT

US $0.50 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Jul-17-2008 16:36:47 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

EAGLES/BEACH BOYS/BRIAN WILSON/DON HENLEY TAPES ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 12:49 PM CDT

US $9.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Jul-17-2008 10:49:18 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Southern Folk Pottery by Brian Wilson ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 08:15 AM CDT

US $14.99 (1 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Jul-17-2008 6:15:49 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON Gittin' In Over My Head Japan CD SS 0767 ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 02:10 AM CDT

US $9.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Sunday Jul-20-2008 12:08:52 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

2006 SP AUTHENTIC BRIAN WILSON AUTO ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 08:55 PM CDT

US $0.99 (1 Bid)
End Date: Sunday Jul-20-2008 18:55:14 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: