Friday, July 25, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Did Brian really say that? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 06:42 AM CDT

I personally would like to hear a solid explanation what exactly some people's problem with Melinda is? I thank her & Brian for all they gave us fans in the last 10+ years.

Yes, for all people have said about Melinda, they haven't really said anything. I keep hearing how people don't like her, how she's "not what she seems," how she controls Brian, etc. Yet, no one has any solid evidence or examples to back up their opinion. It all seems to be based on speculation. Oh, he sat down on stage. He didn't look well at the Kennedy Center. He claims that he doesn't have sex. Well, you know, he's done odd things for years. He's mentally ill. He's eccentric. Melinda really didn't change him into this. He was like this before he met her. Some people claim they have "inside information," but yet I've never heard anything specific. It's always just, "I've heard enough to make me believe it." Well, what have you heard? I mean, even if someone did have a story, it would still be unproven gossip, as far as I'm concerned.

Supposedly Brian's band members are among the insiders. They can't stand Melinda and they love Brian. Well, if that's true, and they think Brian is being forced into doing what he's doing, then why are they willing players in this "charade"?

Melinda may not be as warm as Marilyn. She may not even be very likeable. But hey, I know people who aren't likeable, and that doesn't make them evil and doesn't mean they don't make someone else happy and don't deserve happiness themselves. Guess we'll have to wait for Daria Wilson to grow up and write "Mommy Dearest."

Re: Endless Harmony [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 06:18 AM CDT

I'm giving it a four.
Apparently, I have the first version(the white cover) as I have the binaural mix of surfergirl...


Actually the white cover is the second version, the first version is orange, and they both have binaural Surfer Girl

Re: Unreleased \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 05:53 AM CDT

In March 1985 a fire destroyed the control room of the Caribou studio, allegedly also some of these live tapes.

Anyway, here you can see how they were recorded:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZTZVBBh27jQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rr0WB0lRqPw

Re: Al's website has a hit counter! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 05:20 AM CDT

That number doesn't look right. I think we're reading it wrong.  The way Aegir was talking, I thought it would have been under 500.
Or maybe someone read this post and visited the site and hit "refresh" 740,000 times?  LOL

Re: Pacific Ocean Blue (DW solo) [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 04:13 AM CDT

Have nothing much to add to the various gushings and accolades and adulation given this record: except to say: I agree. This album fodaing rocks to the uttermost.

I also have to say, CD sound has come a long way--this is one of the best warmest, most three-dimensional records I've ever heard.

Re: Al's website has a hit counter! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 03:47 AM CDT

Yes, the good Webcounters.
Keep in mind that things like the Googlebot and Yahoo-Spider may visit a couple of times a day and every time you refresh the startpage or go back to the startpage from another section there's 1 visitor more...
I hope Al doesn't hope to sell 742'505 copies of his album...oh, I mean 742'506...07  Grin

Re: Did Brian really say that? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 02:33 AM CDT

Honestly I don't think any of us want to not like Melinda. It's just that we have seen, or heard enough to make us wary. Nobody is speaking against her without reason. To be objective in all this, I doubt there is anyone here who doesn't like her because she is a strong woman.
Marilyn was strong too...to let him go his nutter way that he went -- and to have stuck with him when he was such a useless turd.  And hey, in the 70s...Brian was a useless sack!   Smokin
I have a sneaky suspiscion that you won't last here very long.  Cool

Re: Did Brian really say that? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 02:27 AM CDT

I don't mind Melinda at all.

Re: Al's website has a hit counter! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 02:26 AM CDT

That number doesn't look right. I think we're reading it wrong.  The way Aegir was talking, I thought it would have been under 500.

Re: Did Brian really say that? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 02:24 AM CDT

On one side they call him a genius, on the other side they're surprised he can drive a car alone. Give the man some credit!
Brian tours because he wants to tour. Yes, he may not enjoy being on stage every time, because of all the well known reasons, but all in all, I think he enjoys the experience of having done it again, of being able to do it, of sharing with people, etc.
He tolerated Landy's methods, because they helped him. Mind-controlled for 10 years? Good press, but use your brain.
He loved his first wife, he loves his second wife.
Would be interesting to know what Marilyn has to say about Melinda & Brian today, not 14 years ago when "Wasn't Made For These Times" was filmed. M1 is not isolated from Brian's current life, even I as non-insider standard fan know that. She attended a couple of Brian concerts, Smile DVD taping I think, Hawthorne monument etc.
I personally would like to hear a solid explanation what exactly some people's problem with Melinda is? I thank her & Brian for all they gave us fans in the last 10+ years.
And just in case Brian would read the boards once in a while, and why is this so impossible, he probably leaves the PC afterwards with about 10 daggers in his chest for all the insulting comments regarding his wife and himself.
Ok, call me a Blueboarder now.

Re: Unreleased \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 02:23 AM CDT

Do you think any of the tapes could be salvaged? A similar thing happened to The Doors. There was a concert  tape discovered from 1967, and the organ and drum tracks were missing. There was talk of Ray Manzerek and John Densmore going in the studio to "fix" it. But the idea was so controversial with the fans that the idea was abandoned.

Re: Endless Harmony [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 02:21 AM CDT

I'm giving it a four.
Apparently, I have the first version(the white cover) as I have the binaural mix of surfergirl...I'm a bit disappointed--the mix of Kiss Me Baby is awesome--is the second mix better or just slightly different? Anyway, I love that mix, and I love most of the "new" songs.

Not a big fan of the last two songs, but I'm glad I have them and have heard them--they have their own minor charm. Brian's back is cheesey as all get out, but damn if it doesn't stick in your head; most of Endless Harmony sounds like wanna-be Paul Simon, but I do like it.

More unreleased songs would be nice!  And more quality stereo remixes!

Re: Has the site been down a lot lately? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 02:14 AM CDT

Same problem last night. I think it must be my end that's bad. Will clear cache and see what happens...

Re: Al's website has a hit counter! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 12:31 AM CDT

742,000 is actually pretty good if you're counting just the past three months!  When I first read this post, I was thinking something like 1,452 would be low and disappointing.  If for every 5 hits there was one CD sale, then he would still sell almost 150,000.

Re: Unreleased \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 12:14 AM CDT

I hope it's the Chicago half..

Re: Unreleased \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 11:55 PM CDT

My understanding is that half of the tapes are gone.  Not meaning that half the SONGS are gone, but the fact that the concerts were recorded with two separate machines synchronized to accommodate enough tracks for all the instruments... and a set of those tapes are missing.  In other words, half of the music/instruments are missing.

Re: Unreleased \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 11:53 PM CDT

His site helps me almost every day figure out questions I have.

Re: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 11:53 PM CDT

Which parts of Surf City did Brian write?

Re: Unreleased \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 11:34 PM CDT

Hmm...I must remember to check his website more often, before I create new topics.  LOL

Re: Unreleased \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 11:33 PM CDT

All I know is on Andrew's site.

Re: Did Brian really say that? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 11:32 PM CDT

Honestly I don't think any of us want to not like Melinda. It's just that we have seen, or heard enough to make us wary. Nobody is speaking against her without reason. To be objective in all this, I doubt there is anyone here who doesn't like her because she is a strong woman.

Amen. She's the person he needs now at this point in his life. That's to Brian's credit too, that he has kept on truckin' finding what he needs. And to be selfish, Melinda has pushed Brian to feed us with the junk our junkie veins sorely need!  I still can't believe we a new album coming in a few weeks!  WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

Marilyn was strong too...to let him go his nutter way that he went -- and to have stuck with him when he was such a useless turd.  And hey, in the 70s...Brian was a useless sack!   Smokin
Well I'm glad you liked my post but I am not sure you understood what I was getting at. I am not a fan of Melinda's by any means personally. All I was pointing out was that those on here who don't care for her are not being petty, we have our reasons that I feel are valid. I respect everyone on here and their views, but as happy as I am about LOS, I also am unhappy that he seems to be put before the public at tiems when he seems to detest it. The Kennedy Honors last year made him look very ill. He did not show normal reactions and did not even seem to be fully aware of what was going on. I felt for him. That combined with the sitting down on stage, and Jardine's quick departure afterwards told me this is not an ideal situation for him. I don't know what is, but something is off. Were any of the non LOS sun tours since Smile really helpful to him?

Sheriff
Melinda wouldn't have known any more medical facts then Marilyn at the time. We just didn't understand mental illness like we do now. Also Marilyn is dead right that drugs did hurt Brian and play a role in his decline. No doubt he would have had some degree of trouble, but I wonder if his illness would have gotten as bad without cocaine, LSD, and whatever the heck Landy gave him. Brian apparently was in the hospital, did see other doctors. Nothing was working. Landy was a last resort, and Stan and Rocky were there because even then Brian no longer could look after himself anymore. It was a desperate situation.  We had neither the proper facilities or medication then.

Unreleased "Beachago" album [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 11:28 PM CDT

There was supposedly a planned live album that would be both The Beach Boys and Chicago. I believe that this was around 1975. I read that the tapes were supposedly lost, or distroyed. Does anybody know anything about it? Do any of the tapes survive? These shows, from what I've read in reviews, were supposedly incredible. They are also an important historical item. I believe that it was around this time that the first evidence of Dennis's voice damage became noticable.

Re: Al's website has a hit counter! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 11:20 PM CDT

Hm, I don't think there's anything on the site that logs your IP, but then again, I'm not too computer-savvy.
Well then, let's all log on as much as possible...without crashing his website.  LOL

Re: Al's website has a hit counter! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 11:17 PM CDT

Hm, I don't think there's anything on the site that logs your IP, but then again, I'm not too computer-savvy.

BRIAN WILSON, Newport Folk Festival 8/1, 2 Box Tickets ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 11:55 AM CDT

US $149.00 (0 Bid)
End Date: Tuesday Jul-29-2008 3:55:16 PDT
Buy It Now for only: US $250.00
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list

No comments: