Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Beach Boys concerts - professionally filmed [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Oct 2008 07:03 AM CDT

Great idea.

BTW This clip isn't from 1994 I guess, 'cause Jeff is still there. Maybe 1989?

Beach Boys concerts - professionally filmed [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Oct 2008 05:52 AM CDT

After seeing this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wndzbZP31dQ, which was new to me, I asked myself if there is a list out there with all the BBs concerts that were professionally filmed. There must be quite a lot. If there isn't such a list, maybe we can use this thread to collect them. It would also be interesting to see if a DVD-release (or a release via beachboyscentral.com) would be possible.

Re: The *official* Brian/BB picture thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Oct 2008 05:33 AM CDT

Dennis in Amsterdam, Holland, 1972

 

Re: Compression and Clipping on TLOS - is it that bad? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 25 Oct 2008 12:26 AM CDT

Just got me a US copy of TLOS - the Best Buy version w/bonus tracks - and it's definitely better as regards the pverall sonics compared with my all-but-unlistenable European pressing.

That's what I thought. I have the US version, and it sounds fine to me.

Maybe someone should show the waveforms for the two versions so we can do an A/B comparison.

BRIAN WILSON VAN DYKE PARK Words + Music U.S. promo CD ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 11:57 PM CDT

US $5.00 (0 Bid)
End Date: Monday Oct-27-2008 21:57:15 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 10:57 PM CDT

I like it. It's well written and meanders quite thoughtfully. Bit like Greil Marcus loves to do. So perhaps I am a dissenter here. I read a lot by Hawthorne and obviously am a BW loonie; but that does not diminish my admiration for the piece. Republicans will hate it, and with good reason. And that's exactly why I don't love Republicans.

I used to be a republican until I found out that Mike Love was one. And George W Bush drove me to the libertarian party.

Still one forever, sorry.  And BTW, hope the author knows by now the striped shirts weren't Pendeltons. Weird article.

Re: Alternate Universe Beach Boys Albums.... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 10:29 PM CDT

OK, I'll take a shot at this.

In the releases from 1974-1977, Beach Boys' fans got their money's worth. Endless Summer and Spirit Of America were both double albums at a budget price. 15 Big Ones had 15 songs, and Love You had 14 songs. Then, MIU dipped to just 12 songs. Many fans criticize MIU for the material; I like the material, and feel MIU could've been improved one full grade just by adding two songs . Here is my alternate MIU:

Side A

1. She's Got Rhythm
2. Peggy Sue
3. Wontcha Come Out Tonight
4. My Diane
5. Come Go With Me
6. Hey Little Tomboy
7. Sweet Sunday Kind Of Love

Side B

1. Good Timin'
2. Kona Coast
3. Belles Of Paris
4. Pitter Patter
5. Matchpoint Of Our Love
6. Winds Of Change
7. Our Team

BRIAN WILSON THAT LUCKY OLD SUN LIMITED CD/DVD MINT! ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 10:09 PM CDT

US $8.95 (1 Bid)
End Date: Monday Oct-27-2008 18:39:56 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: Alternate Universe Beach Boys Albums.... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 10:04 PM CDT

How come nobody has Soulful Old Man Sunshine? I figure that along with Celbrate the News, Loop de Loop and Breakaway would help make 20/20 a good album.

I also had a double album:
Side A
Sail On Sailor
Marcella
Hold On Dear Brother
Trader
Cuddle Up

Side B
Funky Pretty
Here She Comes
A Mess of Help
Leaving this Town
Carry Me Home

Side C
California Sega: Big Sur
                          Beaks of Eagles
                          California
Steamboat
All This is That
Fourth of July

Side D
Mount Vernon and Fairway

Re: Starting a radio station [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 09:56 PM CDT

I don't need any fines!
That's all I'm after. Nothing worse than a warning letter that you owe $x, or else.

Re: Starting a radio station [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 09:46 PM CDT

Yes, Luther, I looked into broadcasting online. It's becoming very popular. My goal is to broadcast over the radio in the local community, and then piggyback on that with internet broadcasting. I checked into the costs, it's somewhere around $130 - $150 a month. But that is definitely the way to go. Then you could listen to my station and critique it!

Oh yeah, I checked into the fees. You have to pay three separate organizations (like ASCAP) to play music. It comes to around $500 a year. But I'm still checking into that. I read that some of these low powered AM stations aren't paying the fees because A) they are not licensed by the FCC, and B) the low powered AM stations are so small that not a lot of people can hear them, find them, or care about them. It's like the mobile DJ (which I am); I've been playing music at wedding receptions, dances, and parties for years, and never paid a dime. But I'm definitely doing my homework. Like I said earlier, I don't need any fines!

Re: Compression and Clipping on TLOS - is it that bad? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 09:45 PM CDT


Isn't "Just Like Me and You," a great song? Could've been on TLOS...
No and yes, respectively.

Re: Compression and Clipping on TLOS - is it that bad? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 09:39 PM CDT

Just got me a US copy of TLOS - the Best Buy version w/bonus tracks - and it's definitely better as regards the pverall sonics compared with my all-but-unlistenable European pressing.
Isn't "Just Like Me and You," a great song? Could've been on TLOS...

2008 TOPPS UPDATES BLACK BRIAN WILSON ALL STAR 37/57 ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 09:34 PM CDT

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Monday Oct-27-2008 19:34:13 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 09:31 PM CDT

I like it. It's well written and meanders quite thoughtfully. Bit like Greil Marcus loves to do. So perhaps I am a dissenter here. I read a lot by Hawthorne and obviously am a BW loonie; but that does not diminish my admiration for the piece. Republicans will hate it, and with good reason. And that's exactly why I don't love Republicans.

I used to be a republican until I found out that Mike Love was one. And George W Bush drove me to the libertarian party.

Re: Starting a radio station [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 09:24 PM CDT

Have you considered doing an online radio station instead of traditional? Broader reach, to say the least. But it has its own expenses. Also, not to be pessimistic, but I assume you've looked into your fees for playing music. I know a lot of independent stations struggle with that (both traditional radio and online).

Re: Starting a radio station [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 09:15 PM CDT

Thanks for the feedback!

Jonas, I know you were joking about working for cheeseburgers and beer, but that is a concern - getting people to help out. You don't make enough money to hire people, so you depend on friends, relatives, and aquaintances to assist you. Who will write the advertising copy? Who will do the voice work on commercials. Who mans the station if you go on vacation or into the hospital for a week or so? Who can help out with all the computer and electrical gliches? And then there's the actual door to door sales, billing, accounting, etc. I'm not complaining, but it's a lot more than programming songs; that's the fun part.

Lance, you're right, the start up costs can get a bit steep. It's funny, it didn't start out that way, but then you think of all the things that you need, all the radio accessories/stuff, and it starts to add up. Luckily, I can put the studio in my basement, so that eliminates renting a place/overhead. I guess I'll just charge the rest, and then pay it back very slooooowly. Maybe I'll get an eccentric philanthropist who likes the music to sponsor the station!

SurferGirl7, you work at the kind of radio station I originally wanted to start - it's probably a low-powered FM station. However, LPFM sations can't be owned by individuals, it has to be a non-profit organization, and, most importantly, it has to be for educational purposes. Most LPFM stations are run by schools, churches, or medical/police/safety type organizations. Someone like me could try to beat the system by starting XYZ Company, calling the company non-profit, writing an educational mission statement, and submitting the application to the FCC. And some people do that - and get away with it. I just don't think I want to play games with the FCC.

ascrodin, thanks for the encouragement. I think a low powered AM station might be the best fit for me, a hobbyist. That's why the FCC wrote PART 15, for nuts like me that just want to play music for people to listen to! I would probably go with a format that plays oldies or a variety of "older" music from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. Many stations like that go by the tag Variety 1610 AM - or something like that. Then I can educate everybody about all of the great Beach Boys' music!

2008 TOPPS UPDATES SILK BRIAN WILSON 44/50 GIANTS ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 08:31 PM CDT

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Monday Oct-27-2008 18:31:49 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: Starting a radio station [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 06:51 PM CDT

Sounds like an awesome idea! Good luck with it.

Re: Compression and Clipping on TLOS - is it that bad? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 06:45 PM CDT

Does anyone know if there is any (free) program that would let me check the waveform graphs of CDs i own?

I am curious to see what has been made 'hot'.

Audacity is free. Adobe Audition is also a good one, but it costs a buttload of money, unless you download a demo version or pirate a copy.

Re: Radiant Radish Photos [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 06:25 PM CDT

I always thought those photos of Bri looking thin around '70 were rather phony looking. Even Carl looks skinny in them. But when they are playing baseball around that same time BW has his mighty gut.
Does anyone have pix of this?
I think that pic is in Peter Ames Carlin's book.

Re: Radiant Radish Photos [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 06:22 PM CDT

I always thought those photos of Bri looking thin around '70 were rather phony looking. Even Carl looks skinny in them. But when they are playing baseball around that same time BW has his mighty gut.
Does anyone have pix of this?

Re: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 05:54 PM CDT

Why do all creepy child molesters LOOK like creepy child molesters?

Re: Compression and Clipping on TLOS - is it that bad? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 02:32 PM CDT

Just got me a US copy of TLOS - the Best Buy version w/bonus tracks - and it's definitely better as regards the pverall sonics compared with my all-but-unlistenable European pressing.

Re: Banana [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 01:44 PM CDT

That's right, I forgot about the Surf's Up photos. But what I really need to know is how do I get me one of their offspring? Surely one of those little guys sired some kin!? Even 3 or 4 generations later they might still possess those beautiful voices we here at the end of Pet Sounds. I guess this thread IS kinda stupid, but thanks for humoring me folks.


Heh heh. I doubt you're serious, Grillo, but if you are, you should contact Marilyn and find out if those dogs were ever bred. They may have have beautiful voices, but they seemed a little bit bratty to me, jumping up, peeing and pooping all over the place. Well, what do you expect when Brian Wilson is your role model?    Cheesy

Re: Recent setlist/s of theMike/Bruce touring group [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 01:34 PM CDT

I saw the guys last night here in Knoxville, TN.  It was a great show!!  Scott, thanks for getting two of my requests in there!!  The show had plenty of rarities and deep cuts.  This isn't the "greatest hits" show that I went in expecting.  I don't remember the complete setlist, but we were treated to:  Don't Back Down, Sail on Sailor, All This is That, Ballad of Ol' Betsy, Their Hearts Were Full of Spring, She's Not the Little Girl I Once Knew, Wendy, You're So Good to Me, Darlin', and Do It Again amongst all of the other obvious mega hits.  Very cool show!  Thanks John and Scott and any other band member that may be reading.

Re: \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 01:07 PM CDT

Since this is already a lighthearted topic, let me introduce this: OMG THE BRIAN WILSON FROM 1975 DYED HIS HAIR AND TIME-TRAVELED TO OUR PRESENT DAY (PROBABLY WITH THE AID OF HIS MAGIC TRANSISTOR RADIO) AND GOT ARRESTED FOR ACTING OUT "HEY LITTLE TOMBOY" IN PUBLIC! THE PROOF IS HERE:
http://www.denvergov.org/MediaRelations/tabid/426762/nnpg470633/2/cmd470633/arch/archDt470633/082007/Default.aspx

Edit: Wrong topic but I'll leave it here anyway. Darn tabs.

Re: Mike and Bruce this Saturday....Paramount show [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 12:40 PM CDT

don't know exactly what shirt i will wear but i will have a blue bb button with the brother logo on it...the ones alice used to send out with the newsletter back in the '80's......

i used to live at the bowling alley across the street...was there for hours every night. and that starbucks was a bbf resturant.  and i watched movies at the paramount before it became a concert hall. yep...an old fart here.... Smiley

Re: 1985 shows [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 12:25 PM CDT

Maybe thats why i remember the lights being bright in Charleston......we were in a lighted auditorium waiting for the band to arrive.........paper cup of warm light beer in hand....

No comments: