Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Arden Kaywin<---------- Freaking Amazing [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 05:33 AM CDT

P.S. She has a new cd out that you can check out on ITunes........[/b]

Hey, I just bought four copies for all of my family members to enjoy  Roll Eyes









Seriously, does anyone think this actually works? You'd think the least they could do was try and "trick" us into thinking that the music was similar to the Beach Boys or something. Can't you just delete this thread S-H?

Re: Horrible Songs By Great Artists [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 04:31 AM CDT

Quote

I'm reluctant  to overly criticize hits that I may not like because they clearly have their place.  There are others who have enjoyed them and who would I be to say they are "bad"?  However (imo) there are some songs that do not belong on the album they appeared on.  They might be ok b sides or rarities but detract from the record they came out on.  An example is Noel Redding's  "She's So Fine" on  Hendrix's 'Axis - Bold As Love'.  So is Redding's  "Little Miss Strange" on "Electric Ladyland".  Noel was a good musician, but to me it is a given if you were playing in Jimi's band or on one of his records that you were there as a sideman and you were there to support him.  I remain astounded with the audacity  suggested by the existance of those tracks on those albums.  Another example would be 'Mother' on the Police's 'Syncronicity'.  Andy Summers song is interesting in it's way, but it does not fit on this album.  It would have been an excellent B side.           

Re: Postcard From California [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 04:16 AM CDT

I can wait too, but an indie label would be more sensible - although there are clearly buttholes out there who aren't interested in any kind of release...

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 03:45 AM CDT

Hello Steven,

Good to see you back here. I'm convinced that many fans overhere would like to see you show up here from time to time. I would!

You have been in the unique position to be able to get very close to the group, people surrounding them, and lot's of information the casual fans never know or maybe only vaguely heard stories about. Of course your choice to not use all of them has it's (good) reasons, otherwise we would've read about it back in the 80-ies. But if you think it's relevant to a discussion on this board or can give an answer to questions, I'd be delighted if you'd like to respond once in a while. Of course only if you want to, have the time for it, and if you think certain information can be made public at all (I assume you had good reasons to not use everything for the book at the time).


Are you still in the writing-business these days btw?



Just for the record, I have over 100 tapes in a bank vault, tapes never heard before by anyone but me, tapes with Brian, particularly the one in Landy's office when he talked about Murry; the heroin tape from Australia; interviews with Marilyn, Diane and their mom and dad; over 12 hours of tapes of Karen Lamm reading her diaries aloud to me; several hours of Landy's bull; taped interviews with Lorne Michaels; interviews with members of the Love family; photographs and memorabilia nobody had ever seen before; a copy of the ms of the book Rocky and Stan were writing about the group; and some mind blowing on-tape stories from David Anderle, Van Dyke Parks, Gary Usher, Nik Venet and on and on and on.  I have five cartons of articles about the group collected from around the world. 
I also have the depositions I gave in three Beach Boy trials, including one in which I presented a taped  interview with Chuck Kaye that got the publishing money from Sea of Tunes back in Brian's pocket.  Also my extensive depositions about how and why my book was plagiarized.
So if anybody tells you that I used everything I had in the book--no matter what you think of my best selling book--they're just bitter and they don't know what they're talking about.


Re: Postcard From California [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 03:24 AM CDT

There's no holdup on Al's part. He wants the album out. The trouble is is that he's going for a major label release and the labels (what are those again???) that are showing the most interest want it for a Spring 2009 release -- nothing sooner. He wants it to have distribution above an "indie" only release. Trust me, he's more frustrated about the situation than anyone on the board.

Howie, don't know if you have inside-information (being close to the source, but is there a reason an "indie"-release is out of the question? What are the selling-expectations for a (major) label release? Is it a guarantee for better sales than on an indie-release? And do the labels that are interested in a Spring-release fall under that category "major"? Just curious ...

Frustrating as it is, if Spring 2009 is a realistic date, I guess I can wait ...

Re: Arden Kaywin<---------- Freaking Amazing [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 03:04 AM CDT

sigh ...


... and a-freaking amazing bye bye, digirammy ...

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 02:35 AM CDT

Thanks for giving us another chance to be a little more polite and diplomatic, Mr. Gaines.

That sounds like a lot of really fascinating stuff that you have in your archives, particularly the
anecdotes from David Anderle, Van Dyke et al., and the lengthy discussion with Brian about Murry.

I'm sure you have moved on, but your presence and (previous, possibly renewed) interest in
participating here indicates a renewed interest in the subject. Have you ever considered
pursuing publisher interest in an expanded, updated edition, making use of additional archival
material? Could be a definitive account (not that the previous edition was lacking in any way).

Unlike in the film, Shane is back! 3D

Shock At The Local Drug Store... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 02:28 AM CDT

Over the years, I've occasionally heard oddball Beach Boys songs played at shopping malls, restaurants, stores, etc.  But what happened today certainly takes the cake for me.   

I went to a local Walgreens today with my friend (for those non U.S. residents, that's a chain drug store we have here).  I was walking down the cold medication aisle, when I heard something very familiar playing over the closed circuit radio... "Shoot The Curl" by the Honeys!  I almost fell backwards and wiped out an entire display of antihistamines.

Speaking of this song, I've always wondered what the correct lyrics were.  What I hear is, "We're not being snobby, but we have to admit, the honeys' way of surfing is some terrible sh*t."  I'm sure those aren't the correct lyrics!  What are they?   Huh

Re: Brian Wilson's Surfin Beach Party! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 01:55 AM CDT

Perhaps it has gone the way of Mike Love's Club Kokomo...

Brian Wilson's Surfin Beach Party! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 12:24 AM CDT

Have plans for this restaurant been cancelled or postponed?  There is no longer any mention of it on the GardenWalk website.

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 11:49 PM CDT

Glad to see you're back, too. Personally, I loved your book, and loved how no punches were pulled.

I too wonder your opinion on TLOS, and on Brian these days in general. Also, off topic, but what albums (by any artist) are your favorites out of your collection?

Brian Wilson Autographed 8x10 Picture Great Looking [&#34;brian wilson&#34;]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 11:17 PM CDT

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Oct-30-2008 21:17:19 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 10:41 PM CDT

LOL

Re: Alternate Universe Beach Boys Albums.... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 10:35 PM CDT

How about Proto-Love You, late 1970 release by the Beach Boys (assuming some BW songs were withheld from release).

Side A
This Whole World
I Just Got My Pay
Good Time
H.E.L.P is on the Way
Games Two Can Play
Cotton Fields (Brian Wilson version)
Add Some Music

Side B
All I Wanna Do
When Girls Get Together
Time to Get Alone
Loop De Loop
At My Window
I Went to Sleep
A Day in the Life of a Tree
Til I Die

Re: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 10:06 PM CDT

3P1C F41L!

Re: Alternate Universe Beach Boys Albums.... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 09:27 PM CDT

Here's a hypothetical for you:  to cash in on Endless Summer and further promote the re-release of "Sail On Sailor", in 1975 Warners decides to release a best-of colllection of recent Beach Boys tracks, aimed at the same sun-n-fun market.  Call it "Summer of '75" or "Five Years' Harmony" or whatever...  basically a best-of with room for a couple of tracks from the vaults that they didn't give to Capitol.  Maybe with room for a couple of "Til I Die"s, but ya gotta think commercial, baby.

Whadaya put on it?

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Side A
Soulful Old Man Sunshine
Celbrate the News
San Miguel
This Whole World
Add Some Music

Side B
Its About Time
Forever
Long Promised Road
Student Demonstration Time
Til I Die

Side C
Sound of Free
Marcella
Hold On Dear Brother
All This is That
Cuddle Up

Side D
Sail On Sailor
California
Funky Pretty
River Song
California Feeling

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 09:23 PM CDT

Hi, Steven, good to see you back. I hope you stick around. May I ask, have you heard Brian's That Lucky Old Sun album? I wonder your opinions, if so.

Re: The Steven Gaines Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 09:14 PM CDT

Just for the record, I have over 100 tapes in a bank vault, tapes never heard before by anyone but me, tapes with Brian, particularly the one in Landy's office when he talked about Murry; the heroin tape from Australia; interviews with Marilyn, Diane and their mom and dad; over 12 hours of tapes of Karen Lamm reading her diaries aloud to me; several hours of Landy's bull; taped interviews with Lorne Michaels; interviews with members of the Love family; photographs and memorabilia nobody had ever seen before; a copy of the ms of the book Rocky and Stan were writing about the group; and some mind blowing on-tape stories from David Anderle, Van Dyke Parks, Gary Usher, Nik Venet and on and on and on.  I have five cartons of articles about the group collected from around the world. 
I also have the depositions I gave in three Beach Boy trials, including one in which I presented a taped  interview with Chuck Kaye that got the publishing money from Sea of Tunes back in Brian's pocket.  Also my extensive depositions about how and why my book was plagiarized.
So if anybody tells you that I used everything I had in the book--no matter what you think of my best selling book--they're just bitter and they don't know what they're talking about.

Re: Postcard From California [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 07:47 PM CDT

If the 'legend' himself had to sell his own Roxy CD to get things moving I'm afraid Al is going to have to do the same.

Re: Youngblood (CW solo) [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 07:38 PM CDT

I regularly listen to Carl's solo albums now. I guess I've gotten used to them.

Re: Alternate Universe Beach Boys Albums.... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 07:17 PM CDT

Here's a hypothetical for you:  to cash in on Endless Summer and further promote the re-release of "Sail On Sailor", in 1975 Warners decides to release a best-of colllection of recent Beach Boys tracks, aimed at the same sun-n-fun market.  Call it "Summer of '75" or "Five Years' Harmony" or whatever...  basically a best-of with room for a couple of tracks from the vaults that they didn't give to Capitol.  Maybe with room for a couple of "Til I Die"s, but ya gotta think commercial, baby.

Whadaya put on it?

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Steve Hoffman to remaster "Pet Sounds" again [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 06:24 PM CDT

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=164308

Quote
The Beach Boys-Pet Sounds.
And of course it was the worst kept secret that Pet Sounds will be issued in the original Brian Wilson/Chuck Britz monaural mix from 1966. For those of you who missed out on the DCC version here will be your chance to grab one. No need to pay the big bucks anymore on eBay for this title.

A TRIBUTE TO BRIAN WILSON SEALED CD [&#34;brian wilson&#34;]

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 02:46 PM CDT

US $14.50 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Oct-30-2008 6:46:42 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

4 NEW CD'S MODERN ROCK (BEACH BOYS, BRIAN WILSON, DA) [&#34;brian wilson&#34;]

Posted: 26 Oct 2008 07:25 PM CDT

US $6.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Friday Oct-31-2008 17:24:54 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

What I Really Want For Christmas Brian Wilson Beach Boy [&#34;brian wilson&#34;]

Posted: 26 Oct 2008 07:16 PM CDT

US $3.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Friday Oct-31-2008 17:16:14 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: