Monday, June 16, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: The Mark Linett Thread [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 16 Jun 2008 12:06 AM CDT

Mark -

The She Knows Me remix from the new box set gave me chills.  Well done!

Re: Buddy Holly's \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 16 Jun 2008 12:05 AM CDT

It's really "cute". I like the doot doots during the instrumental. I haven't heard Holly's version in years, but you seem to have replicated the percussion pretty well.

Re: Al Jardine and the Surf City All Stars @ Manalapan NJ Rec Center - 6/14/08 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 16 Jun 2008 12:01 AM CDT

It didn't start raining until they got off stage, but because everyone from Manalapan was there, we had to park half a mile down the road... what a walk. On the way back, I got soaked and I was so afraid that a car wasn't going to see me in the dark and smash into me.

Re: Brian and Macca 1967 pic [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 10:56 PM CDT

Woah, that's a GREAT find. Thanks.

Buddy Holly's "Everyday" [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 10:36 PM CDT

Saturday afternoon I was in a Buddy Holly mood and quickly recorded a version of his "Everyday" just for fun. I've posted it at http://myspace.com/thebeaumondes. I hope you stop over and have a listen.

Re: A couple of American Spring questions... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 10:11 PM CDT

Seeds I never heard that before.

Yeah, I think it was limited to promo copies. But I heard about it and always wondered what the mystery seeds could have been - knowing Brian at the time I thought they might have been pot! Ha, anyways, Marilyn was standing right next to me for quite a while and well, I couldn't resist inquiring

Re: Brian and Macca 1967 pic [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 10:04 PM CDT

i would say those fellows look a tad on the stoned side... Smokin

Re: Brian and Macca 1967 pic [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 09:07 PM CDT

There is no doubt that is 1967-Paul has his Sgt Pepper look with moustache-that is from April 10 1967-Amazing photo-I have never seen that published anywhere-

Re: A couple of American Spring questions... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 09:01 PM CDT

Quote
I have to disagree with you: all of his falsettos from 15BO-era onward sound to me very different than his earlier voice.
I don't disagree with that, I also hear a marked difference on his post-1973 falsettos. But what I was saying was he evidently had the ability to switch to a gruffer-manly tone during the 15 Big Ones, Love You era, while he still possessed a small portion of his sweeter voice. I mean, listening to the "Clouds in the sky" part of "Airplane" and then the "down down, on the ground" part, it's two different "characters" for lack of a better word.

So I put my money on Brian for "it rained on the mountain..."

2008 TOPPS SERIES 2 #397 BRIAN WILSON BLACK #08/57 ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 08:08 PM CDT

US $0.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Wednesday Jun-18-2008 18:08:17 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Brian Wilson(Beach Boys)/McCartney "Crawdaddy"June 1976 ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 06:28 PM CDT

US $8.75 (0 Bid)
End Date: Friday Jun-20-2008 16:28:00 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Re: Session musicians on California Saga (and the rest of Holland)? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 05:02 PM CDT

Thanks for the info!

Re: A couple of American Spring questions... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 04:49 PM CDT

Brian signed my 45 of Sweet Mountain last year and he sure looked at it for a good long while before he signed it. I wonder if it bought back any memories.

Re: Al Jardine and the Surf City All Stars @ Manalapan NJ Rec Center - 6/14/08 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 04:46 PM CDT

I actually thought about going to that show, but I didn't. Sounds like I didn't miss too much though with all that bad weather...

Re: Session musicians on California Saga (and the rest of Holland)? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 04:42 PM CDT

Well unfortunately the AFM sheets really don't tell us anything.  I would love to hear the session tapes.  I do know Brian played drums on Funky Pretty (Carl and Ricky are the only other players on that track), and I'm sure Ricky played drums on the rest of the album, while Blondie played bass and some guitar.  Daryl Dragon is on there a lot, Charles Lloyd does the flute on California Saga, and I'll bet Carl is playing a lot of the piano (like Trader and Leavin' This Town), with Dennis playing on his two tunes.  Ricky does the Moog solo on Leavin' This Town.  On Sail On Sailor, Carl is playing the "morse code" style guitar, and I'll be he's also on keyboards.  It's been reported that Brian does the harmonica on Cal Saga, but I don't know if that's true.

Re: The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 04:32 PM CDT

And, if you like O&O, try also the Left Banke collection "There's gonna Be A Storm", which, if you dump about half the tracks, will get you the equivalent of another O&O!

Lots of great baroque pop on there!

If anyone has further suggestions along these lines, please do tell...

Re: Session musicians on California Saga (and the rest of Holland)? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 03:33 PM CDT

The same banjo used on "California Saga" was also used on "California Energy Blues".  Roll Eyes

Session musicians on California Saga (and the rest of Holland)? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 03:28 PM CDT

Listening to Holland today (I'm going through a bit of an early-seventies phase) I wondered how much of that is played by the Beach Boys, particularly, California Saga. I know Tony Martin is the steel guitar on "Steamboat" and there's strings on "Only With You", but otherwise, how much of Holland is played by The Wilsons, Mike, Al, Blondie and Ricky. Surely the addition of Blondie and Ricky cut out a lot of the need for "outside" players. For instance, who's the harmonica on "Big Sur"? Is Al the banjo on "California"? What does Dennis do on the LP? Anyone have credits for Holland? C-Man? AGD? Jon?

Re: A couple of American Spring questions... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 01:51 PM CDT

I have to disagree with you: all of his falsettos from 15BO-era onward sound to me very different than his earlier voice.

Re: A couple of American Spring questions... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 01:41 PM CDT

Hate to backtrack, but on the subject of Brian's gruff voice during this period, I really think that he was controlling at least part of it. When he wanted a "manly" sound, he used it. Yes, there was vocal deterioration, some intentional and some not, during 1974-1976, with lots of cocaine and cigarettes. But, he still turned it on and off in 1976: listen to "Airplane," he does a fairly tender falsetto on the refrains, and then at the "down down, on the ground" part he's real gruff and "manly."

Re: Vocals on \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 12:58 PM CDT

"California Feeling" 1974 demo... his voice is as sweet as it was on "Surf's Up."

Wait...how did you hear it?

Thought it was unbooted.

Re: Brian and Macca 1967 pic [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 12:33 PM CDT

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like Paul is holding two carrots.  Maybe for the Vegetables sessions?

Re: Vocals on \ [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 12:30 PM CDT

I've seen numerous discussions about when Brian's voice really changed, and I don't know if anyone has a real, definitive answer. The unreleased "Rollin Up To Heaven (Hard Times)" dates from, I think, 1974, and it is different by then. But he is singing pretty well in the early '70s. So it's narrowed, I think, to '73 or '74. I have no doubt someone will happily correct me, though, if I'm wrong.

I think Brian still sounds good on "Rollin' Up to Heaven (Hard Times) and he sounds like the old Brian in 1973's single with Jan Berry "Don't You Just Know It".  I think it was late 1974/early 1975 that he decided to chain smoke cigarettes, which ended the youthful Brian voice for good.

Re: HMV - POB is on it's way!? [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 12:12 PM CDT

FYI The Saturn retail chain in Cologne told me the CD set is on order. Due for release June 20!! On top of that, the Cologne store on Hansaring has only ordered 2 copies. I urge anyone in Cologne to buy the two so that the have to re-order.

BRIAN WILSON: SPRING (LEGENDARY ALBUM - PROMO & N-MINT) ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 14 Jun 2008 03:53 PM CDT

US $29.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Jun-21-2008 13:53:45 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: