Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: My Latest Essay: POB [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 06:48 AM CDT

Good to know, Rob.  Thanks!

Re: MILD Situation [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 06:45 AM CDT

Jon, was it Dennis too who erased the Brazilian drumintro for Constant Companion? It's a real pity that was deleted from this great great song. When reading the complete liner notes there was a comment from an engineer who was the last one to work on Bambu with Dennis. He said that Dennis was out of it and erased stuff he shouldn't. Constant Companion immediately came to my mind!

Bye,


Yorick

Re: MILD Situation [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 06:44 AM CDT

What about the vocals on the end of "School Girl"...I suppose they were missing from the multi-track as well?  And I noticed the lead vocal on "He's A Bum" is different than the booted versions, plus it's missing the harmony.

Re: MILD Situation [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 06:20 AM CDT

I'm picking up my copy of the new POB/Bambu tomorrow at the post office (missed it by just a few minutes as the postman was trying to deliver it!)...I'm glad that this line has been taken out...I've always thought that this was a cool song, but that last line always made me feel a little weird.

Re: brianwilson.com - New TLOS VIdeo [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 04:11 AM CDT

Whoa, this sounds amazing, especially "Midnight"!

Yes, it's a good 'un - seems like there is a proper string section as well. I know the power of editing, but he seems to be enjoying himself. As long as they've cleaned up a couple of the more cluttered tracks, this'll be his best album in a long time. And then if Capital promote it the same way the POB has been promoted (well-targeted web ads, for example) - it should do pretty well.

Re: My Latest Essay: POB [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 04:10 AM CDT

Craig -

Great essay and info on POB!  As always, I thoroughly enjoy reading your meticulously researched material.

I do have some info that may be helpful in establishing the POB release date.  In your essay you state:
Quote
RELEASE DATE NOTE: Some sources cite September 16, 1977 as POB's original release date,
but there was at least one copy of the album cover displayed by audience members at the Beach
Boys' September 1st Central Park concert, so the album was obviously already in the stores by
then. A much more likely date for the American release is the 22nd of August, which was a
Monday in 1977 (the day new LPs were released in the U.S. at the time). On the other hand, the
16th of September was a Friday...since new albums were released on Fridays in the U.K., it
seems likely the latter date was that of POB's British release.

I just checked my letter archives and discovered, in a letter written Aug. 22, 1977, that I purchased POB (Where? At the Wherehouse) on Friday Aug. 19.  And, as a huge Beach Boys fan, I always made a point of trying to get a new BB (or in this case, Dennis Wilson solo) album the day it was released.   

Although present day lore often states that albums of that era were released on Mondays, I recall that quite a few years ago when I advised Brad Elliot that I had purchased Sunflower the day it was released, on Friday, August 21, 1970, and had a letter I wrote to a friend that day to authenticate the date, Brad replied that at that time there really wasn't an official day of the week in the US during which an album might be released.  Aug 21 was at least 10 days earlier than the earliest generally cited Sunflower release date of Aug 31, with some sources stating the album had been released in mid September.  Brad used the Aug. 21 date in the liner notes of some BB compilation, (I don't recall exactly which one), although since then the stated release date seems to have reverted to Aug. 31.

Re: 30 Years Ago Tonight [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 04:07 AM CDT

My only Sad Beach Boys concert was in 93 right after the Good Vibrations boxset came out. It was in the Capitol Records parking lot where they put up a stage and trucked in piles of sand and a few palm trees and rigged up their very own beach. I'd been in involved in an extended conversation with Rodney Bingenheimer the night before where he was telling me great stories of hanging around the house while most of what ended up on 20/20 was being recorded. He told me about the Capitol concert that was happening the next day and, since it was a private event, he gave me a name (which I can't remember) to mention at the gate so I'd be let in. It worked and me and a couple friends waltzed right in. I was standing just to the right of the stage at first and I could see Mike about 7 feet from me wearing a bright yellow sportcoat with huge huge huge shoulders. He was standing with John Stamos and I could also see most of the Full House cast in the audience. Anyway, the Beach Boys came out and played a suprisingly varied set. They did an extended Heroes and Villians and Do it Again, I Can Hear Music, and the expected hits. Carl looked very sharp in a nice suit and really rocked on guitar. he took a few really great solos. I remember Mike and Al's vocals sounding really sharp and great, for some reason. It was a blast.

Re: brianwilson.com - New TLOS VIdeo [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 03:14 AM CDT

I couldn't see the first video, now I can't see this one... I tried Firefox and IE, updating QuickTime... Nothing.

Would someone be kind enough to rip it and convert it to another format?  Cheesy

Re: Marcella...on TV 1972. [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 02:53 AM CDT

Yeah, and I even talked with Bruce after the rehearsals. There were even pictures made outside the venue with Bruce, but not with Blondie and Ricky. And no, I never saw Marcella on Dutch TV.

Re: Marcella...on TV 1972. [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 02:29 AM CDT

Don't know if the Marcella broadcast indeed happened (although I do hope so). But as for the Grand Gala Dus Disque performance: there are pictures available of this performance. Strange thing is: I don't see Bruce on any them, but Blondie is there!!
O, and I know someone who did see the performance on TV.

Re: My Latest Essay: POB [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 02:01 AM CDT

Outstanding work.

Re: brianwilson.com - New TLOS VIdeo [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 01:23 AM CDT

Whoa, this sounds amazing, especially "Midnight"!

Re: Brian Wilson / Al Jardine Pet Sounds show Keswick Theatre 2006 [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 01:13 AM CDT

I saw Brian/Al in DC the night before. I don't know what it was but Brian seemed more up then he was at the show you went to. It was great seeing Al sing lead vocals on GREAT live performances, but I do admit noticing that he looked a little lost when he wasn't actively particpating. Which then turned into woefully obvious attempts at looking like he wasn't lost.

That was a great night in DC, wasn't it? The performances were outstanding I thought. My first time seeing Brian live and Al for that matter...what a treat.

Re: MILD Situation [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 12:12 AM CDT

HA!  That was my very first thought too!!

Sean O'Hagan interview [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 11:25 PM CDT

It's not every day you get to chat with one of your musical influences...

I'm pleased to announce an interview I conducted with Sean O'Hagan from The High Llamas over on my blog, Songs and Sonics. Check it out:

http://www.songsandsonics.com/

Hope you like it! Smiley

BEACH BOYS BRIAN WILSON THE SURVIVORS 45 ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 09:16 PM CDT

US $95.00 (0 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Jun-26-2008 19:16:15 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

BRIAN WILSON SIGNED BEACH BOYS BACKSTAGE PASS GAI CoA!! ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 06:28 PM CDT

US $0.99 (1 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Jun-28-2008 16:28:14 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

2008 Brian Wilson Autograph Card ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 04:37 PM CDT

US $3.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Saturday Jun-28-2008 14:37:55 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: