Monday, August 4, 2008

The Beach Boys Network

The Beach Boys Network

Re: Brian Vocally On L.A. [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Aug 2008 06:12 AM CDT

it's almost as if he's looking at Carl for a cue as to when he (Brian) should come in with his "you need good timin" part. I always have to shake my head at that, I mean, how simple a part was that, to come in with "you need good timin" right after Carl.

An ironic line to sing if he was looking at Carl to know when to sing it!

Re: Al Jardine [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Aug 2008 03:33 AM CDT

The thing is, would Al really be asking Brian? Or would he be asking "his management"?

Re: Al Jardine [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Aug 2008 02:49 AM CDT

I think Al was looking towards a Beach Boys reunion. He did the 40 years Pet Sounds gigs with Brian, but a European Greatest Hits tour without an upfront role, what's the point? "Brian does his own thing" or something to that extent was Al's explanation why he didn't make the trip.
I speculate that there just wasn't enough motivation. Brian's management didn't want a reunion, just a background role with a few lead vocals, and yes, perhaps not a satisfying wage for touring the hits without really wanting to.

Re: Reviewing Adult/Child as an actual Beach Boys album [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 04 Aug 2008 12:27 AM CDT

If it HAD come out, it would have been in my top 5 albums. I'm not ashamed to admit that I freaking love the music on this. Better than 15 BO and Love You, honestly. If Brian had spent the rest of his career doing music like this, I'd have been happy. Why in the blue gravy f*ck are Brian's "people" trying to push Brian towards the 1965-era, when it should be the 1976-7 period that would suit Brian best now?!

Got off topic. Anyway, thumbs up from me. And dammit, "Games Two Can Play" should've been on Surf's Up at the very least.

Re: I'm a new Dennis fan! [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Aug 2008 09:10 PM CDT

Welcome to the wonderful world of Dennis!!!!!

Re: 'Remember The Zoo' on YouTube... [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Aug 2008 08:58 PM CDT

I've sat through worse... case in point:

* Favorite Beach Boys song: "Battle Hymn of the Republic"
* Favorite rock album: "The Beat Goes On" by Vanilla Fudge
* Favorite movies: "Grease 2" and "Shock Treatment" (yes, the Rocky Horror sequel that, like, 12 people actually enjoy)
* Favorite era of Saturday Night Live: 1980-81
* Favorite Pink Floyd album: "Atom Heart Mother"

Get the picture yet? :-P

Re: Surf's Up [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Aug 2008 08:43 PM CDT

What's funny is that when I first read the quote about the session 'going very badly' I assumed that it meant vocally-it wasn't untill someone mentioned on the smile shop board about that being an argument did I even think that's what it meant.
I guess what I don't like about Domenic's book is that he tries too hard to chalk up SMiLE's non-release to Mike Love, which everybody seems to do, but to write half a book about it is a little extreme. I don't care for Mike Love, but I wouldn't solely put the blame on him.  However, that reminds me of a smile part in the Siegel story: Brian 'accused Mike Love of making too much money'. Not that we'll ever know, but do you think that Brian actually said that, or do you think that Jules just happened to get that sort of a vibe from Brian? The problem is all of these little passages here and there in the story that maybe forty years ago meant something different, but given the history of the band, may mean something totally different now.
I'm not making sense. Shocked

Re: Al Jardine [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Aug 2008 07:25 PM CDT

What if Al would've gone to Brian and said, "Hey, would it be OK if I handled another lead vocal or two. What do you think?" Who would've objected to that? Don't answer that...

If Al said, "Hey, Brian, is it possible to go along to Europe with you, and maybe you could write off my fare and room there, how about that"? Who would've objected to that? Don't answer that...

I still think Al should've played for free! What else does he have to do? Don't answer that...

Oh, I agree Sheriff.  I was way bummed when Al dropped out.  I am just trying to make sense out of it.  Just wish we'd get the real truth instead of the usual propaganda.

Al still has that great voice.  I was really hoping Al would sing on TLOS.  I can only imagine how much better it would be with selected guest vocals featuring Al, Mike, Bruce and David.  David would be great on ' California role'.

Re: Al Jardine [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Aug 2008 07:14 PM CDT

What if Al would've gone to Brian and said, "Hey, would it be OK if I handled another lead vocal or two. What do you think?" Who would've objected to that? Don't answer that...

If Al said, "Hey, Brian, is it possible to go along to Europe with you, and maybe you could write off my fare and room there, how about that"? Who would've objected to that? Don't answer that...

I still think Al should've played for free! What else does he have to do? Don't answer that...

Re: Al Jardine [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Aug 2008 06:59 PM CDT


Other reasons...Money (Al wanted it)...

While nothing Al does or (especially) says would surprise me, I hope it wasn't about money. It would be pretty sad if Al, a 66 year old multi-millionaire, who has had very little exciting going for him over the last decade, would stop touring with his friend, Brian, and that amazing band, because of a dispute over money. Al isn't the most in-demand artist going these days. He should offer to perform for free! But, again, nothing Al does surprises me....

Well, if they weren't paying Al at all, why go to Europe on his own dime?  It's not like he hasn't done it all before.  Yes, he doesn't need the money but why deal with the hastle, and pay for it.  If he had more leads, a bigger role, maybe it might have happened.

But Brian did sing on Al's album, they hung out in court; I'd say thinks are fine between Brian and Al.

Re: Surf's Up [Smiley Smile Message Board]

Posted: 03 Aug 2008 05:58 PM CDT

He claims that it exists, but from what I know, it's never turned up.

Alan Boyd noted that the tape box for "Surf's Up (Part 2)" is empty. But that doesn't mean the tape was stolen. It may have been empty back in the early '70s, when Steve Desper and Carl Wilson were piecing it together for the 1971 released version. Brian said in a 1968 interview that the song briefly broke the Beach Boys up, and Jules Siegal noted a major fight during one of the "Surf's Up" sessions. Not to get all conspirtorial, but perhaps Brian did destroy that tape.

Are you sure Alan said that about Surf's Up (Part 2)? I know he posted here awhile back that there were several empty Smile era tape boxes but I don't remember him saying that specifically about Surf's Up (Part 2). I thought the current thinking was that the 1/67 Surf's Up session didn't take place or was for something other than Surf's Up?

4 NEW CD'S MODERN ROCK (BEACH BOYS, BRIAN WILSON, DA) ["brian wilson"]

Posted: 03 Aug 2008 04:04 PM CDT

US $6.99 (0 Bid)
End Date: Friday Aug-08-2008 14:04:22 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

No comments: